Quote Originally Posted by mikeeod View Post
Quote Originally Posted by TIC View Post
Quote Originally Posted by Primo Carnera View Post
Floyd varies opinions like no other boxer. And I’m not saying he was TBE. But he has every right to put his name up for it.
Look at his career and tell me a fight he didn’t win COMFORTABLY. Yes he had a moment in the Moseley fight, yes Maidana made a nuisance of himself with him. But I don’t think there was a fight where he got a decision he shouldn’t have got.
So with all that in mind, there was probably more left in the tank.
Btw, people say that future P4Per Canelo was a boy when they fought, but he was a 23 year old with over 40 fights under his belt. And Floyd was 37 ffs! Who else does what he does at 37?
Deserves respect even by the haters.
jose luis castillo one? i give floyd huge respect for the immediate rematch with el temible. floyd could have probably beaten anyone on his night, the jose luis rematch for example but i can't give him credit for fights he never fought. for me after jose luis there was never a challenge that was close to fifty fifty going in
I thought Castillo won the first fight. I give Floyd a ton of credit for the immediate rematch as well. I feel like the Mosley fight and Hatton fight were both 50/50. Mosley was coming off the destruction or Margo and ranked #3 p4p. Hatton was unified champ at 140, undefeated, and ranked p4p. Those were good wins.

There really weren’t many threats to Floyd who stayed relevant long enough to hype the fight. Judah had hype after destroying Spinks, but then lost to Baldomir. Margo had hype and lost to Paul Williams and then was blown out by Shane. Paul Williams had hype and then lost to Quintana and Martinez. Manny was the one available prime fighter he never fought. Full disclosure, I’m team Manny, but even with tHat I don’t think Floyd ducked Manny. I feel like both fighters negotiated themselVes out of the biggest fight of their generation. It was past its sell by date when THEY got back around to it.
shane was years removed from his days at one thirty five, yes he did have the win over antonio but personally i think the miguel cotto fight took more out of antonio than is realized. rivky was champion at one forty & technically undefeated but had already been shown up at welter by luis collazo. those were good wins but not close to fifty fifty in my opinion. there were threats but the fights never came to fruition for whatever reasons. joel & acelino would have been better than jesus & carlos. paul & leonard would have been better than victoriano & phillip. kostya would have been better than anyone floyd fought at one forty & floyd should have fought miguel or antonio instead of retiring & leaving them to fight each other. there was also winky where a deal was in place but floyd pulled out & sergio at one sixty for the middleweight championship. don't get me wrong floyd probably beats them all but i can't give floyd credit for fights he didn't fight. floyd had the ability to actually be tbe but unfortunately he missed the opportunities to do so in the ring