Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  18
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Poll: Who wins?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Joe Joyce v Joseph Parker

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Joe Joyce v Joseph Parker

Heavyweight fight between Joe Joyce and Joseph Parker is reportedly set for September and victor could face winner of Anthony Joshua vs Oleksandr Usyk.

Just as it seemed any chance of a Joe Joyce vs Joseph Parker fight was ruined, it now appears we may have spoken too soon.

On the night of Tyson Fury’s retirement, as he knocked out Dillian Whyte in front of 94,000 fans at Wembley Stadium, promoter Frank Warren took the opportunity to announce another huge heavyweight clash between Joe Joyce and Joseph Parker.

At that point the fight had not been finalised, but negotiations were moving in the right direction and all parties were confident of coming to an agreement.

Shortly after, however, came the bizarre announcement that Parker had signed a deal with BOXXER, meaning his fights would be shown exclusively on Sky Sports, the rival network to BT Sport where Joyce’s fights are broadcast.

This caused the bout to be called off and relations between the two camps quickly turned sour.

“As you know, at Tyson’s last fight, him and Joe [Joyce] got together and we announced that it was to be done.” Warren told talkSPORT, as he explained his version of events.

“We agreed terms, I shook hands with Joe [Parker] in front of Tyson and then we got the solicitors to work out the contracts, which took a long while but eventually they got them done.

“And then I heard the day before it was announced that he’d signed a deal with Sky, I heard about that. I just sent him a text, ‘Just been told the fight is off, so much for your handshake.’

“And then I got a text back saying, ‘Morning Frank, apologies it took a while to get the deal done, but was offered a better deal last minute.’”

Warren went on to add: “Even if he was offered a better deal, having agreed terms – if somebody said to me, ‘We’ve agreed I’m paying you £100,’ then I’d say, ‘Look, somebody’s offered me £110, do you wanna better it?’

“At least do that. None of it at all. He never wanted that fight, he never fancied it and that’s the bottom line.”

This seemed to be the end of it, but Mike Coppinger of ESPN has tweeted that the fight is back on.

“Former titleholder Joseph Parker and Joe Joyce have struck a deal for a heavyweight bout that will land in the U.K., possibly on Sept. 24, sources tell ESPN.” Coppinger said.

“Parker recently signed with Boxxer, which has an exclusive with Sky, but BT Sport Box Office will televise.”

As it stands Joyce is ranked number one with the WBO, while Parker is in the number two spot.

It would stand to reason that the winner of this bout would become the mandatory challenger for the WBO heavyweight title.

The current holder of that belt is Oleksandr Usyk, who fights Anthony Joshua in Saudi Arabia on August 20 and the winner could have either Joyce or Parker waiting for them.

https://talksport.com/sport/boxing/1...led-september/
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Joe Joyce v Joseph Parker

let's hope it comes off this time
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

Titofan:

The fact is GGG has fought at 160 for his entire career. Post #87, 5th August 2022
    Hidden Content

Also Titofan:

GGG weighed 163 for the Rolls fight. Post #91, 6th August 2022

Hidden Content

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Joe Joyce has admitted he would "love" to face Oleksandr Usyk before Tyson Fury - if he can beat Joseph Parker next weekend.

Joyce will face heavyweight rival Parker next Saturday night at the Manchester Arena with the winner set to become WBO interim world champion and the mandatory challenger to Usyk's belt. World champion Fury looked set to end his retirement plans early and began negotiating an undisputed title fight with his fellow champion, but it now appears he will first defend his crown against Anthony Joshua in December.

This could open up a position for Joyce to secure a title challenge of his own if he can defeat Parker and therefore avoid a rematch. The 'Juggernaut' has admitted he is eyeing an "elite" level test after his shot at Parker to start commanding respect at world-level.

"I would love that definitely," Joyce told Mirror Fighting when discussing a future world title challenge. "I think it is a great fight and there will be no argument if I fight Usyk or Fury because I am at that elite level if I beat Parker and I hope I get more respect when I beat Parker.

"I jumped up in peoples estimates when I defeated Dubois and I am hoping I can get more respect and jump up in their estimates again if I beat Parker. I feel that this fight with Usyk has got a good ring to it too as it would be a clash of the undefeated."

Joyce could pose a significant stumbling block if he is able to assert his challenge if Fury comes through the test against Joshua. The 'Gypsy King' elected to offer Joshua the chance to challenge for the title again, after discovering a fight with Usyk would likely not be possible until next year after he returned to Ukraine.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/boxin...-usyk-27990023

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Joseph Parker has teased heavyweight rival Joe Joyce by warning the Briton some of the crowd at Manchester's AO Arena will be supporting him.

The duo go head-to-head in an eagerly-awaited clash on Saturday where the winner will move a step closer to a world title shot in 2023.

While London-born Joyce is the home fighter, the majority of his bouts have occurred in the capital and this will be his first time at the Manchester venue.

New Zealander Parker on the other hand will be eyeing a fourth consecutive victory at the arena and having spent most of the last 18 months living in Morecambe, he feels a strong Lancashire following - including "brother" Tyson Fury - will be there to back him this weekend.

"That is my arena. Three wins, Hughie (Fury), Derek (Chisora) and Derek again, so I'm going to make it four," Parker (30-2, 21KOs) told the PA news agency.

"I know the UK supporters have been very good to me, very welcoming so I feel this is another home for me.

"I do know when I fight one of their own, they always support their own but there will be some I have taken as my own and will be cheering for me.

"I am looking forward to putting on a great show."

This will be the sixth time Parker has fought in the UK with his most notable contest taking place in 2018 at the Principality Stadium where he lost on points to Anthony Joshua in a world title fight.

New Zealander Parker on the other hand will be eyeing a fourth consecutive victory at the arena and having spent most of the last 18 months living in Morecambe, he feels a strong Lancashire following - including "brother" Tyson Fury - will be there to back him this weekend.

"That is my arena. Three wins, Hughie (Fury), Derek (Chisora) and Derek again, so I'm going to make it four," Parker (30-2, 21KOs) told the PA news agency.

"I know the UK supporters have been very good to me, very welcoming so I feel this is another home for me.

"I do know when I fight one of their own, they always support their own but there will be some I have taken as my own and will be cheering for me.

"I am looking forward to putting on a great show."

This will be the sixth time Parker has fought in the UK with his most notable contest taking place in 2018 at the Principality Stadium where he lost on points to Anthony Joshua in a world title fight.

England has largely been home to the 30-year-old since the coronavirus pandemic after he struck up a strong bond with Fury, who is set to face Joshua in an all-British blockbuster affair later this year despite suggesting on several previous occasions he is retiring.

Parker said of his training partner: "Tyson is at most training sessions, we go for runs and he's in the gym.

"He lets Andy (Lee) teach me, train me and come up with game plans but he adds his advice when and where he can. When he is in the gym, he brings this positive vibe and good energy so it is always good to have Tyson in the gym. In his own gym that I have now made my own!

"It will be good to see (Fury vs Joshua). Tyson has retired multiple times and come back multiple times but I think he will be here a while in the boxing game. He still has a lot to give."

Former WBO champion Parker has been trained by Lee since last year and has two wins from two under the guidance of his new team.

The long-term goal for the experienced boxer is becoming world champion again and whoever triumphs in Manchester will be mandatory challenger to Oleksandr Usyk but a rematch clause has been inserted by Joyce's camp.

"The rematch clause I don't think should happen unless you are champion," Parker insisted.

"I think they just needed it to feel they are keeping their position as mandatory or number one but that is how much I back myself.

"I locked in the fight, I know what it takes to beat him, I know I can beat him and if he wants a rematch and another beating, I'll give him another chance to lose again.

"Two-time world champion is kind of further down the line. I can see myself being world champion again but that is not really the immediate (goal).

"It is sitting there and I know what it takes but it is about being involved in these fights, winning these fights, winning well and being involved in exciting fights."

If Parker can see off Joyce (14-0, 13KOs), it could open the door for more contests with other British boxers and potentially revenge.

He added: "Fighting Dillian Whyte again to avenge the loss I had, or fighting Joshua would be good, but none of those will ever work or happen if I don't get rid of this guy first.

"Joe Joyce has my full 100 per cent attention and I want to punch his face first before I punch their faces."

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/sport/boxi...af7996bf524b75

Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Anybody who talks as much smack as Joyce will surely lose

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I really do wonder if Parker has become content with being the also-ran sort. He's as live as they come in this one but has to be said, how's that close nod and biggest scalp over Andy Ruiz aging right now? Rematch wars with Chisora..respect..on the tail end is not exactly charging forward. As slow as Joyce can be in there, I think he comes in with the momentum here and can win this behind that hellacious jab.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Joyce is a true juggernaut and will take Parker's best early and run him down later in the fight. He is a beast and 2nd best heavyweight in the world right now.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Joyce believes beating his New Zealand rival inside the distance will put the rest of the division on notice.

He told the PA news agency: “I’ve always felt like I’m going somewhere in boxing. All I felt like I had to do was win fights.

“I’ve been levelling up here and there, taking the strategic routes with good fighters on the way up. Now I’m at the top of the rankings with the WBO and fighting against a great fighter in Joseph Parker.

“It’s a must-win fight. I plan to win it and I plan to stop him, I don’t want it going to overtime.

“It would be a statement to stop him. Off the back of that I can potentially challenge Usyk or whoever else. There’s plenty of good fights out there.”

He said: “I’d love to fight Usyk, preferably after Parker. I enjoyed the fight in the WSB even though I lost but over 12 rounds I’d be too much for him.

“It would be an exciting fight and I’d love to avenge that defeat. But I’m on the way there and I’m patient. I’m in a good place now.”

He added: “The Hammer fight was great preparation for Parker. I got rid of the ring rust so I hit the ground running (for this training camp). It’s worked out better for me because I’m more prepared.”

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/sport/boxi...233ae8873d8ae6

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Spicoli View Post
    I really do wonder if Parker has become content with being the also-ran sort. He's as live as they come in this one but has to be said, how's that close nod and biggest scalp over Andy Ruiz aging right now? Rematch wars with Chisora..respect..on the tail end is not exactly charging forward. As slow as Joyce can be in there, I think he comes in with the momentum here and can win this behind that hellacious jab.
    I like this fight. Neither man is superstar status but both are good, tough as old boots, honest fighters. Neither will give an inch but perhaps Joe's size will give him the edge. I have enjoyed them both trying to follow rule laid down by promoters and media to be nasty, hateful fighters. It doesn't work. Both are just honest fighters. Can you imagine Henry Cooper being in this media, face of and slanging match era? Never.

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    Joyce is a true juggernaut and will take Parker's best early and run him down later in the fight. He is a beast and 2nd best heavyweight in the world right now.
    No he isn’t . So you are putting him above 2 from Fury, Usyk and Joshua. Please please DO NOT use the “George Foreman comparison.” Because I can already feel my stress levels elevating.
    Former Undisputed 4 belt Prediction champion. Still P4P and People’s Champion.

Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I thought Joyce looked pretty bad v Dubois until Dubois eyeestarted closing, Joyce isn't to far away from taking a big right and going to sleep at the best of times.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Joseph Parker v Joe Joyce: Parker vows to stop 'hype train'

Heavyweight Joseph Parker vowed to stop the Joe Joyce "hype train" in its tracks when they meet on Saturday.

The 30-year-old New Zealander is the underdog despite being a former world champion and says he is confident of a quick victory against the Briton, 37.

The pair will fight in Manchester for the WBO interim heavyweight title, with the winner in prime position to challenge champion Oleksandr Usyk.

"I see a lump, a big man," Parker said at a media conference on Thursday.

"A man that's confident, a man's that ready, but a man who is going to be stopped in his tracks. Hype train."

Joyce, who is unbeaten in his professional career and has 13 knockouts in 14 fights, did not respond to Parker's taunts.

"This big lump is going to be coming at you on Saturday night," he said.

Parker's trainer Andy Lee explained why he expected an easy night for his fighter.

"Any fight can be an easy fight," he said. "Joseph knows how to make this an easy fight, I know what he has to do.

"Parker is leagues apart. Joyce has a big engine, is strong, punches hard himself. We know what we're up against. This is elite. Joe's reaching new levels every time.

"Forget what you saw from Parker before, you've only seen glimpses."

Parker, who trains with WBC champion Tyson Fury, lost his WBO world title to Anthony Joshua in their unification fight in 2018.

The Kiwi lost his next bout to another British fighter, Dillian Whyte, but then went on a six-fight winning streak.

Joyce and Parker is an exciting fight, although their trash talking leaves something to be desired.

The heavyweights cut sometimes awkward figures at a crowded top table during the media conference at a decked-out Hilton hotel in Manchester. Parker wished Joyce a happy birthday moments after calling him a "big lump".

There was some bickering between promoters David Higgins and George Warren. Parker's promoter Higgins used his speaking time to hint he was not happy with how the fight purses have been guarded before fight night.

Warren, the son of absent promoter Frank Warren, snapped back quickly at the accusation, saying the money was in escrow.

Discussion swiftly moved onto Joyce's team members taking issue with Parker's suggestion that it would be an easy night.

His coach Lee responded on behalf of the Parker team, but when it was the turn of the fighters to speak, any hope of fireworks rapidly fizzled out.

Joyce and the television company showing the bout have poked fun at his reluctance to trash talk, producing an amusing promo before his last fight where he was given a trash-talking coach.

Those lessons are yet to pay off, and neither men are renowned orators. Parker in particular is recognised as one of the nicest men in boxing; friendly and kind, but not a speech-maker.

Joyce and Parker are big punchers, however, and have taken a fight that neither really needed. Joyce is in the number one position in the WBO rankings, Parker sits one spot below him.

The winner will hope to be confirmed as the mandatory challenger to Usyk's WBO title. The loser will have to start a world-title shot campaign all over again.

Joyce could have simply waited for his shot at Usyk to come rather than face Parker, who despite his position with the bookmakers, is one of the world's best and shouldn't be overlooked.

The fight represents a huge risk for Joyce and a massive chance for Parker to finally put himself in position to reclaim the world title he lost to Joshua four years ago.

https://www.saddoboxing.com/boxingfo...73&do=editpost

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Frank Sanchez believes he is the 'best heavyweight in the world' and could be lying in wait for the Joe Joyce vs Joseph Parker winner.

The unbeaten Cuban sits at No 3 in the WBO rankings, just behind Joyce and Parker, and will be watching closely as his heavyweight rivals battle for the WBO interim title this weekend.

Oleksandr Usyk holds the WBO belt, along with the WBA and IBF titles, but the Ukrainian has been linked with future fights against Tyson Fury and Deontay Wilder, which could mean that Sanchez becomes an immediate threat to Joyce or Parker.

Sanchez, who returns against Carlos Negron on the Deontay Wilder vs Robert Helenius undercard, told Sky Sports: "I am not looking past Carlos Negron.

"He is a very strong fighter with very good power that is dangerous. I have to be at my best.

"Joyce vs Parker is a very interesting fight. I think in the end Joyce's size and strength will be too much for Parker, but you never know.

"Parker is a good boxer and I suppose it is possible he can out-box the slower Joyce. I will be watching with interest, and I expect a good fight.

"Of course I would like to fight the winner of Joyce versus Parker for the WBO Interim title. It has been my dream to become a champion since I was a child.

"God willing, I will fulfil this dream in 2023, but first I must focus on Carlos Negron.

"He is a very strong fighter with very good power that is dangerous. I have to be at my best.

"Joyce vs Parker is a very interesting fight. I think in the end Joyce's size and strength will be too much for Parker, but you never know.

"Parker is a good boxer and I suppose it is possible he can out-box the slower Joyce. I will be watching with interest, and I expect a good fight.

"Of course I would like to fight the winner of Joyce versus Parker for the WBO Interim title. It has been my dream to become a champion since I was a child.

"God willing, I will fulfil this dream in 2023, but first I must focus on Carlos Negron."

Sanchez is also eager to force his way into Wilder's plans when he joins 'The Bronze Bomber' on the same bill at the Barclays Center in Brooklyn on October 15.

"Wilder has a very tough fight against Robert Helenius," said Sanchez. "It is not certain he will be the winner.

"If he manages to win the fight, Wilder and the WBC belt is another option for me. 2023 is going to be a very exciting year."

"I am looking forward to boxing on another big show with Deonaty Wilder and Robert Helenius," added Sanchez, who floored Efe Ajagba in a dominant win on the Fury vs Wilder 3 show.

"I am so anxious to show boxing fans what I can do. I really believe I am the best heavyweight in the world. Hopefully I will be able to demonstrate this in my next few fights.

"I want to fight anyone that holds a title belt. This is my ultimate goal, for my family, and for Cuba."

Mike Borao, who co-manages Sanchez with Guadalupe Valencia, is confident that Sanchez will take another sizeable step towards a big-name bout next year.

"Al Haymon and PBC have been absolutely fantastic in Frank's career," Borao told Sky Sports.

"After October 15, we'll discuss making the biggest fights possible for him in 2023."

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/sport/boxi...d1c90b2b3a9d7d

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

JOE JOYCE scaled one stone heavier than Joseph Parker with the pair to fight at career-heaviest weights.

The two collide in Manchester with the WBO "interim" title on the line and faced off for the final time at the weigh ins.

Joyce, 37, came in at 271.4lb with Parker, 30, at 255¼lb, meaning he takes a 15lb or one stone weight advantage into the headliner.

He said: "I dunno, maybe the hotel food is a bit too good! But I'm ready, I'm fit, I'm ready, I'm strong and my engine's there.

"The sparring and everything has gone to plan so I except a great performance from myself and so does my team."

The pair came together for the third and final time to trade words, with Joyce now ready to let his hands do the talking.

He added: "That's enough, oh my God, I'm probably going to have to do another one in the ring, when he's like looking across from the other corner.

"I'm ready to go, ready to fight. This is the last day, last night sleep and then it's fight day."

Parker was 251lb for his last fight in December, a decision win over Derek Chisora, 38.

And the New Zealander did not want to mess with a winning formula.

Parker said: "With the last performance with Chisora, I felt good heavy and I felt stronger.

"I had the stamina to go 12 rounds. This time I've done things better and I'm still heavy.

"So I'm looking forward to getting in the ring. All the talking has been done now."

Joyce is currently mandatory challenger for the WBO belt held by Oleksandr Usyk, 35, and the interim strap further guarantees a title shot.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/19900...aviest-weight/

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

There is another card on Dazn whilst this card is on. Hughes v Galahad. Eddie is a cunt.

Thread Information