Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Which is Your Worst Punch?

What punch do youhave the most trouble landing, or find to be your least effective punch? The one you can't seem to score with or, when you do land, seems to have little impact, or the one that most often gets you into trouble so far as being countered. Why do you find that punch to be problematic?
    For me, I would have to say my worst/most troublesome punch would be myleft hook, to either head or body. That is also one of my favorite punches when thrownas a counter; my reference here is to throwing it as an attacking punch. Got me hit with more right hands than I'd care to confess to, or it was blocked, orI felt I was slapping (tothe head) with it more times than not. The reason, I believe, was in the angle of the left arm. As a counter I kept it very close and thus hit much harder while opening up less, not to mention that my target was exposed and vulnerable. In the "forward" mode the punch- the angle of it- opened too wide too get the shoulder into it fully and there was a tendency to reach with it, especially to the body.
    What is your worst punch and why?

Mentioned
    447 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Which is Your Worst Punch?

Swings, the ones thrown blind when your caught out inside trading have to find him again through contact before escaping.
    Hidden Content " border="0" />

I can explain it.
    But I cant understand it for you.

Mentioned
    447 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Nice set of posts too mate, about time you got some of us thinking; or in our case remembering.
    Hidden Content " border="0" />

I can explain it.
    But I cant understand it for you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

My left uppercut is not as accurate as i would like it to be.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I find throwing a straight left difficult sometimes,don't get enough snap into the punch! I would also like to be able to throw hooks off the jab but for some reason find that difficult too!!

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The left uppercut is one of my favorites because everybody is a sucker for that punch. Try slipping a jab over your right shoulder-wt onto the left leg,turn hip and shoulder slightly to the left-and throw the uppercut to the chin. Keys to the move: let the punch barely miss, move no more than necessary, don'tdrop your left hand, make the move fast; lean forward and backimmediately, driving the punch with the hips as the wt goes back to the rt leg. Raise your heavy bag and you can practice this punch off the bottom. It should be a very short inside punch to chin solar plexus, unless you are tall for your wt; at 5' 9" Carlos Zarate at 118lbs was very successful countyering everything with the left upper to the liver.
    Straight left...snap comes from keeping your elbow down as long as possible then snapping the arm into rigidity and turning the fist inward. Also a quick turn of the shoulders to the right- untilthe left shoulder reaches the center line of the body. To hook off the jab, there are a couple of ways. First jb and, without retracting the arm, shift wt to the rt leg and throw the hook. Or, jab, not stepping with it. Keep the arm extended and walk to your fist- slide left foot forward then the right foot- thus bending the elbow. Wt to rt leg and hook

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

right uppercut or left uppercut

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

For the right, drop weight onto right leg and lean right and forward so elbow touches your hip. Shift weight to left leg and twist your hips driving the punch. Two tips; first don't move the arm from its position in your basic stance (except to open the elbow a bit if body punching) and second (and this really makes a huge difference) rotate your fist so that the punch lands on the two large knuckles. That twist may actually be all that you are doing(or not doing) that is holding you back. I stole the idea from something I read about Rocky Marciano years ago and it worked wonders for me.
    Last edited by Chris Nagel; 10-06-2009 at 05:22 PM.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

right uppercut

my left uppercut is serious fast and danger tho

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by greynotsoold
    The left uppercut is one of my favorites because everybody is a sucker for that punch. Try slipping a jab over your right shoulder-wt onto the left leg,turn hip and shoulder slightly to the left-and throw the uppercut to the chin. Keys to the move: let the punch barely miss, move no more than necessary, don'tdrop your left hand, make the move fast; lean forward and backimmediately, driving the punch with the hips as the wt goes back to the rt leg. Raise your heavy bag and you can practice this punch off the bottom. It should be a very short inside punch to chin solar plexus, unless you are tall for your wt; at 5' 9" Carlos Zarate at 118lbs was very successful countyering everything with the left upper to the liver.
    Straight left...snap comes from keeping your elbow down as long as possible then snapping the arm into rigidity and turning the fist inward. Also a quick turn of the shoulders to the right- untilthe left shoulder reaches the center line of the body. To hook off the jab, there are a couple of ways. First jb and, without retracting the arm, shift wt to the rt leg and throw the hook. Or, jab, not stepping with it. Keep the arm extended and walk to your fist- slide left foot forward then the right foot- thus bending the elbow. Wt to rt leg and hook
    great advice bro,cc.For the hook off the jab,I prefer the second method,when I try the first one,it comes out like a sissy slap!!

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

My worst punch is probably long range left hook. Too get any sort of power in it I telegraph to much when I load it up.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Adam you should throw it as a short jab. I have never seen one land thats done to much damage Except Mc cullams on Curry, Mike told me his eye,s were shut at the time he threw it he got lucky
    Pain lasts a only a minute, but the memory will last forever....

boxingbournemouth - Cornelius Carrs private boxing tuition and personal fitness training

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I normaly throw it as a short hook inside as a points scorer and so my shoulders in a better position for a right hand.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I thought you were talking about long lefthooks on msm now
    Pain lasts a only a minute, but the memory will last forever....

boxingbournemouth - Cornelius Carrs private boxing tuition and personal fitness training

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I know usually wide punches can be easily telegraphed but sometimes,when loads are coming at you,isn't it easy to get caught by one? I mean one usually expects a short punch then you get one come from no-where and the ones that you don't see hurt. Sorry if it's off topic,but one of my favourite fighters is Margarito and although he throws short punches,he throws these crazy ones which are wide but are from the weirdest angles ever and he throws 65-100 plus per round!

Thread Information