Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  3
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Must fight cards always pick the same dates??

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Must fight cards always pick the same dates??

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/...zed-for-oct-15

Report: Deontay Wilder vs. Robert Helenius PBC PPV Fight Being Finalized for Oct. 15

https://www.badlefthook.com/2022/7/2...xing-news-2022

Devin Haney vs George Kambosos Jr rematch planned for October
    Devin Haney and George Kambosos Jr will indeed do it again, with Oct. 15 (U.S. time) the planned date.

I mean... it's not like we have top flight boxing events every weekend of the year.

This happens all too often. For those of us who don't want to miss anything, we're forced to awkwardly switch back and forth between fight cards.

Well, if forced to pick, I suppose I'll probably watch Wilder-Helenius. It's not like the first installment of Haney-Kambosos was all that gripping or competitive. Besides, Wilder-Helenius has the added bonus (for me) of getting to watch local favorite Subriel Matias in action.

I just wish sometimes they could stagger the weekends just a bit.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Must fight cards always pick the same dates??

I hate when promoters do that!

They normally do the clashes because they want to hurt their rival promoters and fighters. Eddie has done that to Josh Taylor on more than one occasion.

There is more than enough weekends to have good fights every week.

I am sure promoters will use the excuse of not having a suitable venue for fights on the same day.

I have noticed recently that when there is a clash, the main events do not clash so they may hold back and delay the main event to allow that or it could just be a coincidence.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

First off Wilder and Helenius as yet another PPV is ridiculous. Years ago an easy main event on Showtime or HBO and while the cable networks are now written off like dinosaurs, a 'big fight event' is what they afforded absent of constant PPV anchors tied to them. Now basically if you want a semi to mega fight on a weekend we're on the path to constant money grabs or longtime fans with simply look for a stream or look elsewhere in sports for their fix. DAZN is just as guilty if not worse as they came in mocking 'old world' platforms and pledging to be the end of PPV. Now they have raised the annual subscription 35 percent AND give longtime subs a measly $20-25 "break" on massive ppv tags. Rambling on...but to OP topic, at least when the HBO and Showtime did this Showtime would do same night replays and HBO usually re air Sunday mornings. HBO also re aired there PPV main events the following or two Saturdays usually.

As Master says they have gotten better at basically timing each other out for the main events. Not always but usually if possible. But what that does is also give us these loooong winded cards stacked with filler airing the same pre fight stuff 101 times. It's obvious they're watching the other unfold. And the elephant in the room..they do the same with major UFC cards on Saturday night. One of the most ridiculous things I'll never forget if watching Canelo and Kovalev literally sitting around twiddling their thumbs waiting for the Masvidal vs. Diaz main to wrap up

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The PPV is awful and overpriced. The situation is getting worse. The ppv numbers are fabricated and now you tubers are getting in on it making a mockery of the sport.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

But we knew this would happen. Lots of negative trends are taking over our precious sport.

• PPV is slowly taking over all the fights, much like a boa constrictor swallowing a whole pig
    • A lot more jawing and a lot less fighting now. I'm so tired of Crawford saying he's the "real" p4p... and Spence reciting how he's gonna rough him up. FFS... just fight already!!
    • In this age of instant gratification, all you need is a pretty face, an Instagram account, one good fight, and a catchy (albeit unfitting) nickname. You got those things... you're set.
    • YouTubers are getting in on the action. The million$ are flying around... so why not? Casuals will pay for whatever shit they throw up there on TV, even if it's a circus act.

This is on top of the old, existing problems with the worthless belts (and new ones being churned out by the Mafia of boxing, the WBC)... persistent shitty judging of fights and no one doing a damn thing about it... blah, blah, blah.

On the consumer side, they've got us groveling fans, hungry for boxing and grateful for whatever scraps they throw our way. They abuse us with more and more PPV, waiting eons for fights to develop, and thumbing their nose at all our complaints.

Hell... if there was such a thing as unions for fans... I'd say let's form one.

Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    The PPV is awful and overpriced. The situation is getting worse. The ppv numbers are fabricated and now you tubers are getting in on it making a mockery of the sport.
    if the cards were stacked with meaningful fights i could understand the ppv prices. didn't hbo have eleven ppv's one year? i wonder how good the regular subscription boxing content was that year
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

Titofan:

The fact is GGG has fought at 160 for his entire career. Post #87, 5th August 2022
    Hidden Content

Also Titofan:

GGG weighed 163 for the Rolls fight. Post #91, 6th August 2022

Hidden Content

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by TIC View Post
    if the cards were stacked with meaningful fights i could understand the ppv prices. didn't hbo have eleven ppv's one year? i wonder how good the regular subscription boxing content was that year
    I thought HBO had left boxing?

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Yeah they did... sadly. Here's one guy's opinion of what caused the demise of HBO Boxing in Dec 2018.

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/boxi...p3zsct8d0e302b

"The Way I See It: 10 reasons for HBO Boxing's demise"

I agree with some of this, but not all.

Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

they have
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

Titofan:

The fact is GGG has fought at 160 for his entire career. Post #87, 5th August 2022
    Hidden Content

Also Titofan:

GGG weighed 163 for the Rolls fight. Post #91, 6th August 2022

Hidden Content

Thread Information