Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  28
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Great fighters we lost too soon.

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Great fighters we lost too soon.

Tomorrow is the 40th anniversary of the death of Salvador Sanchez. This made me think about what other great fighters died too young.

What fighters do you think we lost too soon?

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Great fighters we lost too soon.

Diego Corrales certainly died too young. He was only 29.

Davey Moore was only 28 when he died.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Sanchez is the poster boy for this. First fighter I thought of when I read the post headline. I can’t think of another untimely death of a great champ like that, but some others that come to mind in other ways:
    1. Meldrick Taylor was ruined early after the Chavez fight.
    2. Paul Williams was lost in a car accident.
    3. Tony Ayala jr. was convicted of rape.
    4. Pernell Whitaker was no longer a champ but we lost him too soon to a vehicular accidemt while he was crossing the street.
    5. Arturo Gatti was no longer fighting but we lost him to murder from his wife in Brazil.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I am sure Gatti wife was not convicted.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Stanley Ketchel was middleweight champion in 1908 and one of the hardest punchers in history. Think Julian Jackson with even more power . He knocked down the heavyweight champion at the time Jack Johnson. He even fought Sam Langford, another top black heavyweight at the time. The Michigan Assassin died at only 24 when he was shot dead and murdered by ranch hand whilst he was training for a fight.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Edwin Valero.

Wrong un but I was in awe of how his career was progressing. What a record
    Don't bully fat kids - they've got enough on their plate

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    Stanley Ketchel was middleweight champion in 1908 and one of the hardest punchers in history. Think Julian Jackson with even more power . He knocked down the heavyweight champion at the time Jack Johnson. He even fought Sam Langford, another top black heavyweight at the time. The Michigan Assassin died at only 24 when he was shot dead and murdered by ranch hand whilst he was training for a fight.
    Wasn't he having an affair with the wife of the guy who shot him? Not saying I don't agree with you- Ketchel was a good example, just wondering if I remember that correctly.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by mikeeod View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    Wasn't he having an affair with the wife of the guy who shot him? Not saying I don't agree with you- Ketchel was a good example, just wondering if I remember that correctly.
    No, she made that up and when he was dead admitted to rob him of his goods. She was in with the man who shot him. Both went to jail for their crimes.

Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Duk Koo Kim and Frankie Campbell, have to mention them even if they weren't great in the sense of the OP's intention with this thread, as both left a big impact on society and the sport.

ALSO, Obviously the stipulation implied is that we lost them when they were still active, but I want to add Rocky Marciano as he was only 45 years old when his plane went down on approach in heavy rain to Des Moines, Iowa, August 31, 1969, piloted by Glen Belz. 45 is certainly too early. We can then add Trevor Berbick who was no slouch.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

It's weird when you think about it how so many have come, flourished and were lost prematurely. The ultimate loss of course being in or out of ring tragedy. But sometimes you look back and random names pop up like.."whatever happened to that guy". Often forced retirements, injury related or they just leave. Here one minute gone the next.

I remember a streaking spr Bantam Jemal Hinton in the early 90's. Managed a 22-0 build up, made top 10 and was basking in TV dates and had been with Kronk gym and trained under Emanual Steward from the very beginning after a top notch amateur career. Very skilled young fighter by all appearances. Seemingly his boxing future right there to go massive. And then right after his 21st b-day...he retired. Just stopped and dropped it all. Not one of those phony attention seeking "retirements" you see grown men do today. But done with it all. He gave an interview to livefight about 10 years ago "I began to lose the desire that was needed to be victorious in battle, and a few other things that happened made me realize I needed to retire. ... There was something taking place inside me, spiritually and mentally, and it was causing me to tire of boxing. It was causing me to become confused about the whole idea of training and beating people up. ... Retiring was the bravest, most stand up decision I'd ever made, my feelings about boxing were changing and for the first time in my life I felt free." Seems waters ran very deep with Hinton. Tragically he passed too young as well early 50's just last year in 2021.

Ernesto Magdalano was a top Lt hvy who lost to champion Henry Maske of Germany. He returned the next year in 95' with 3 solid wins at the age of 31 and lining up another shot. Just three days after defeating Roman Santos on New Year's Eve he and his family were driving when their vehicle was struck by a kid fleeing from police at well over 90mph. Magdalano was thrown from the car suffering head injuries and died at the scene.

Masao Ohba of Japan was lost at the early age of just 23 years old similarly to Sanchez. He was the reigning wba Flyweight champ coming off his 5th successful defense in 73' with intentions of moving up a division. A few weeks after his fight he was cruising in his new Corvette on his way to the gym when he lost control jumping a medium and colliding with a parked trailer truck.

Have to say Mitch Halpern too. No not a fighter but probably one of the better young referees of his time who was 3rd person in huge fights like Tyson-Holyfield I, Barrera- Morales I, Trinidad-De La Hoya, Holyfield-Moorer II on and on. Tragically took his own life in 2000 at just 33 and it shocked everyone close to the sport. Here one minute gone the next. You just never know man. And former Middleweight champ Marcel Cerdan killed in a plane crash when returning to the US for rematch with Jake LaMotta in 1949. Got a bit screwed in first fight after suffering bad shoulder injury after LaMotta dumped him on the canvas in the very first round and was one handed until corner waved it in 10th.

Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Spicoli View Post
    It's weird when you think about it how so many have come, flourished and were lost prematurely. The ultimate loss of course being in or out of ring tragedy. But sometimes you look back and random names pop up like.."whatever happened to that guy". Often forced retirements, injury related or they just leave. Here one minute gone the next.

I remember a streaking spr Bantam Jemal Hinton in the early 90's. Managed a 22-0 build up, made top 10 and was basking in TV dates and had been with Kronk gym and trained under Emanual Steward from the very beginning after a top notch amateur career. Very skilled young fighter by all appearances. Seemingly his boxing future right there to go massive. And then right after his 21st b-day...he retired. Just stopped and dropped it all. Not one of those phony attention seeking "retirements" you see grown men do today. But done with it all. He gave an interview to livefight about 10 years ago "I began to lose the desire that was needed to be victorious in battle, and a few other things that happened made me realize I needed to retire. ... There was something taking place inside me, spiritually and mentally, and it was causing me to tire of boxing. It was causing me to become confused about the whole idea of training and beating people up. ... Retiring was the bravest, most stand up decision I'd ever made, my feelings about boxing were changing and for the first time in my life I felt free." Seems waters ran very deep with Hinton. Tragically he passed too young as well early 50's just last year in 2021.

Ernesto Magdalano was a top Lt hvy who lost to champion Henry Maske of Germany. He returned the next year in 95' with 3 solid wins at the age of 31 and lining up another shot. Just three days after defeating Roman Santos on New Year's Eve he and his family were driving when their vehicle was struck by a kid fleeing from police at well over 90mph. Magdalano was thrown from the car suffering head injuries and died at the scene.

Masao Ohba of Japan was lost at the early age of just 23 years old similarly to Sanchez. He was the reigning wba Flyweight champ coming off his 5th successful defense in 73' with intentions of moving up a division. A few weeks after his fight he was cruising in his new Corvette on his way to the gym when he lost control jumping a medium and colliding with a parked trailer truck.

Have to say Mitch Halpern too. No not a fighter but probably one of the better young referees of his time who was 3rd person in huge fights like Tyson-Holyfield I, Barrera- Morales I, Trinidad-De La Hoya, Holyfield-Moorer II on and on. Tragically took his own life in 2000 at just 33 and it shocked everyone close to the sport. Here one minute gone the next. You just never know man. And former Middleweight champ Marcel Cerdan killed in a plane crash when returning to the US for rematch with Jake LaMotta in 1949. Got a bit screwed in first fight after suffering bad shoulder injury after LaMotta dumped him on the canvas in the very first round and was one handed until corner waved it in 10th.
    Great exampls, didn't know about Cerdan, actually only knew about Halpern. Jemal Hinton is a very curious case. Magdaleno and Ohba are really tragic traffic accidents. Life and death was, is, and always will be the biggest enigma, the biggest thing of all time, though some feel the creation of the universe/time/space etc is just as enigmatic and mysterious, but we as living creatures can really best relate to the eternal problem/tragedy/mystery of life and death. I always hope and pray there is something after this.

Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

excellent post. frankie gomez is a recent fighter who just upped & left. his last fight was at age twenty four, a decision over mauricio herrera. frankie was twenty one & zero with thirteen knockouts & was seen as a highly regarded prospect
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

Titofan:

The fact is GGG has fought at 160 for his entire career. Post #87, 5th August 2022
    Hidden Content

Also Titofan:

GGG weighed 163 for the Rolls fight. Post #91, 6th August 2022

Hidden Content

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by TIC View Post

excellent post. frankie gomez is a recent fighter who just upped & left. his last fight was at age twenty four, a decision over mauricio herrera. frankie was twenty one & zero with thirteen knockouts & was seen as a highly regarded prospect
    I remember seeing him. Did he ever go into reasoning or probably another case of life shifting in that wind. He had notched some pretty solid wins. We get tunnel vision on fighters and now fans literally follow them day to day. Their negotiations, fights, camps, what they had for dinner, economics on and on. It's a bit strange really . Easy to forget they have the constant trials and tribulations just like the next guy.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Cerdan was a GREAT example! Seconds away from beating Lamotta and gets stopped. Dies in a plane crash prior to the rematch. He had stopped Dick Turpin and the great Tony Zale prior to the upset loss to Lamotta- great choice!

Thread Information