Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    1669 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Vasiliy Lomachenko v Jamaine Ortiz

Former unified lightweight champion Vasiliy Lomachenko arrived in the U.S. on Tuesday, escaping the war with Russia in his native Ukraine. On Wednesday, he landed a fight.

Top Rank vice president Carl Moretti confirmed to Yahoo Sports that Lomachenko will return against Jamaine Ortiz on Oct. 22. Moretti said the location is likely to be Las Vegas, but the site wasn’t finalized. He said Top Rank chairman Bob Arum wants to look at other options before making a decision.

ESPN first reported the Lomachenko-Ortiz match.

Ortiz is 16-0-1 with eight knockouts and is coming off his most notable victory, a 10-round decision over ex-lightweight champion Jamel Herring on May 21 at Resorts World in Las Vegas.

When Lomachenko let Top Rank know a month or so that he wanted to fight this year, the company’s matchmakers came up with a list of potential opponents, which included Ortiz. They sent those to Egis Klimas, Lomachenko’s manager, and he reviewed them with Anatoly Lomachenko, the fighter’s father and trainer. Anatoly opted for Ortiz.

The goal is for Loma to hopefully get a bout for the undisputed lightweight title with champion Devin Haney. However, Haney first has to rematch George Kambosos Jr. in Australia.

Loma hasn’t fought since a one-sided Dec. 11 unanimous decision victory over Richard Commey at Madison Square Garden in New York.

Moretti said that 2016 Olympic gold medalist Robeisy Ramirez would fight Jesse Magdaleno. He said it is yet to be determined when and where that fight will be held. It is a possibility, Moretti said, to be on the undercard of Lomachenko-Ortiz.

The location for Ramirez-Magdaleno will be determined by where the Lomachenko-Ortiz fight winds up.

https://sports.yahoo.com/vasiliy-lom...164437941.html
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    1669 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Vasiliy Lomachenko v Jamaine Ortiz

Vasiliy Lomachenko will return to action on October 29 when he boxes Jamaine Ortiz at Hulu Theater at Madison Square Garden in New York.

It will be the first time Lomachenko has boxed since December. Earlier this year he shelved plans to fight for all the lightweight world titles when he returned to Ukraine following the Russian invasion.

Now he can resume his mission to become a lightweight world champion once again. If he beats Ortiz next month, his promoter Bob Arum has assured him he will fight the winner of Devin Haney's undisputed title clash with George Kambosos.

Lomachenko on course for undisputed world championship blockbuster in 2023Bob Arum: Anthony Joshua isn't anxious for Tyson Fury fightShields vs Marshall provisionally postponed until October 15
    "I want to dedicate this fight to all my Ukrainian people. I wear the flag proudly every time I step in the ring," Lomachenko said.

"I love my sport, and I am so glad to be back. My goal is to win the undisputed lightweight title, but I will not take Jamaine Ortiz lightly. Madison Square Garden and Hulu Theater at MSG have been special places in my career, and I look forward to making more great memories on October 29."

Top Rank chairman Arum said: "Vasiliy Lomachenko is a credit to his country and the sport of boxing.

"When his country needed him, Vasiliy did not hesitate. We are thrilled that he is safe and fighting once again at Hulu Theater at Madison Square Garden, his home away from home. Jamaine Ortiz is a young, hungry, undefeated fighter who understands that a victory over a living legend like Loma would be life changing."

Ortiz is an unbeaten contender who defeated former super-lightweight world champion Jamel Herring in May. Regardless of what Lomachenko represents, Ortiz is determined to be victorious. "I'm excited about this fight," he said.

"Vasiliy Lomachenko is a great fighter, but I'm here to win. Once I win this fight, I'm targeting a world title opportunity. This is a dream come true."

A former three-weight world champion, Lomachenko had lost his lightweight titles when Teofimo Lopez upset him in 2020.

Since then the Ukrainian looked impressive over the course of last year, beating Masayoshi Nakatani and Richard Commey in 2021, the latter a former champion himself.

Top Rank president Todd duBoef previously told Sky Sports: "He wants those titles. He's been carrying that Teofimo loss for way too long. He thinks those titles should be back around his waist."

DeBoef also marvelled at Lomachenko's decision to step aside earlier this year and allow Haney to box Kambosos and become undisputed.

"Someone conceding their own legacy and something that they really wanted, which was all the titles, it was sitting there for him to have and he's [thought] I've got to put my own needs aside," duBoef said. "What he did was incredibly admirable.

"We just saw a real sign of altruism, a real sign of giving up and sacrifice for others."

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/sport/boxi...id=msedgntphdr

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Loma and Arum should have aimed higher. Ortiz decent enough but you can drive a Buick through the gap in levels here as he was an 8 round fighter until 7 months ago. But he's spring boarding fresh off of beating the last days of a now retired Herring so let's see the major step up. Wouldn't be shocked to see the two clash heads either . Co main is the streaking Robeisy Ramirez in with another formidable "name" v Jesse Magdaleno. Could prove pretty brutal for Jesse.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

i don't think loma takes it easy on his former sparring partner here & ends the fight in about the tenth round
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

four & zero prospect abdullah mason is on the card v fellow unbeaten four & zero angel barrera. i hope team mason are looking to rematch angel rebollar over a longer distance in the future
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

Mentioned
    1669 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

MAIN EVENT: Vasyl Lomachenko vs Jamaine Ortiz
    Robeisy Ramirez vs Jose Matias Romero
    Duke Ragan vs Luis Lebron
    Troy Isley vs Quincy LaVallais
    Richard Torrez vs Ahmed Hefny
    Abdullah Mason vs Angel Barrera
    Nico Ali Walsh vs Billy Wagner
    Haven Brady Jr vs Eric Mondragon
    Delante Johnson vs Esteban Garcia
    Lomachenko vs Ortiz: What’s been said?
    Jamaine Ortiz: “I’m excited about this fight. Vasyl Lomachenko is a great fighter, but I’m here to win.

“Once I win this fight, I’m targeting a world title opportunity. This is a dream come true.

“I still got a lot of work to do. I’m just growing and going at the pace I’m going. I gotta learn quick, and I gotta pick things up a little bit.

“I’m not afraid of challenges, and I’m here to prove that I’m the best to myself, not anyone else.”

Top Rank vice president Carl Moretti said: “I think a lot of the younger fighters look at Loma and they want to fight him now when they never did before because they know he has the big name, they see him as an older fighter and they think that maybe he’s stepping down or regressing a bit.

“You didn’t hear that talk two years ago. Teofimo back then is the only [elite young fighter] who stepped up and wanted to fight him, and Teofimo deserves credit for that.

“Loma’s all about the titles. His whole focus is on getting the titles back.”

Vasyl Lomachenko: “I’m going to do what I usually do.

“I’m going to do the best that I can do and show my kind of boxing.”

https://talksport.com/sport/boxing/1...square-garden/

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

What is this nonsense about none of the top fighters wanting to fight Loma? Berchelt begged for the fight but Loma moved up instead, Mikey Garcia did his best to get around Bob begging every single person at TR for that fight, crickets, Haney has been calling for the fight since he became Loma’s mandatory 4 years ago, they dumped the belt instead.

Loma was 396-1 as an amateur, fighting for world titles in the pros by his 2nd fight(if you ignore his professional fights in that league AIBA or whatever it was). Loma’s career does not need people lying for him. He never needed ESPN making graphics that had him undefeated on 2 separate occasions long after he lost. He doesn’t need people ignoring all his L steps, rhythm steps, cross steps to lie about how good his footwork is. It is great even with all the breaks in fundamentals that make him vulnerable to being reset or worse

His a generational talent on merit. I wish they would stop f’n lying about him.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Swanson View Post
    He never needed ESPN making graphics that had him undefeated on 2 separate occasions long after he lost.
    pbc did the same thing for carlos ocampo for his recent fight with sebastian fundora until it was highlighted that carlos was not undefeated
    Last edited by TIC; 10-29-2022 at 12:44 AM.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Swanson View Post
    Haney has been calling for the fight since he became Loma’s mandatory
    did the wbc name devin as loma's mandatory or just number one contender? if you could show the wbc link where they state devin was loma's mandatory or that they mandated that fight would be great. also didn't loma already have belts at the time? i'm not sure if loma had any mandatories at the time either for those belts but i would have thought mandatories for belts he already had would have been ahead of devin anyway. if you could clear that up for me would be great. the wbc are to blame in my opinion for creating another belt

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

could be money to be made on a loma between rounds seven & twelve bet

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

abdullah mason just scored a fourth round stoppage

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Mason looked pretty good. Has the finishers instinct. Not sure about Isley again. But like them bringing a tough nut like LaVallais in for another test. Guys like this make the sport go around and Isley can learn something.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Spicoli View Post
    Mason looked pretty good. Has the finishers instinct. Not sure about Isley again. But like them bringing a tough nut like LaVallais in for another test. Guys like this make the sport go around and Isley can learn something.
    yeah troy isley seems to only just do enough

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

i like what i have seen of tiger johnson

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I like Tiger Johnson.

One to keep an eye on

Thread Information