Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default What does Golovkin do next?

Five fights for Gennady Golovkin, 40, as boxing legend refuses retirement after Canelo Alvarez trilogy loss

GENNADY GOLOVKIN is ready to move back down to middleweight as he refused retirement following defeat to Canelo Alvarez.

The Kazakh icon jumped to super-middleweight to complete his trilogy with Canelo, who he drew with in 2017 but lost to a year later.

But again GGG suffered defeat at the hands of the Mexican superstar, meaning he will return to middleweight.

Golovkin, 40, said: "Remember guys, I still have three belts at 160. I'll come back guys. I'm still champion guys."

Jermall Charlo

The American, 32, is among the biggest stars at middleweight, unbeaten in 32 fights and the current WBC champion.

Golovkin has also finished the final fight on his DAZN deal, meaning he is free to accept an offer from Charlo's PBC stable.

It would provide GGG the opportunity to return in a pay-per-view mega-fight Stateside.

Chris Eubank Jr
    Eubank, 33, has been chasing a fight with Golovkin since 2016, when talks between them broke down.

He returns on October 8 against Conor Benn, 25, in a 157lb catchweight clash but the middleweight is so confident he has already lined up GGG.

Eubank tweeted: "GGG you had a great run. Come back down to middleweight & let’s fight for those belts you still have in December or just pass em over & I’ll look after them for the next couple years while you enjoy retirement… you earned it champ."

Janibek Alimkhanuly

Golovkin's countryman was elevated to WBO champ with Demetrius Andrade set to move up in weight.

It would offer GGG a huge homecoming fight with three of the four belts on the line.

Golovkin recently called to fight back home in Kazakhstan and Alimkhanuly, 29, could be his perfect dance partner.

Billy Joe Saunders

Saunders, 33, is yet to return since suffering defeat and FOUR face fractures in defeat to Canelo in May 2021.

And the slick southpaw has insisted he will only come back for the biggest fights possible.

Saunders long wanted to face GGG while he was middleweight champ and the stars could finally align for them to fight now.

Jaime Munguia

Munguia, 25, is considered the next Mexican boxing hope, climbing the ladder as a 40-0 unbeaten former light-middleweight champion.

So while Golovkin's rivalry with Canelo may be settled, he could be convinced into another Mexican showdown with Munguia.

Although, it would not have a title on the line, which may not appeal to GGG.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/19842...varez-trilogy/
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: What does Golovkin do next?

CHRIS EUBANK JR has told Gennady Golovkin to fight him in December or RETIRE from boxing.

Golovkin moved up to super-middleweight to complete his trilogy with Canelo Alvarez, following a prior draw and loss to the Mexican.

But GGG suffered another defeat at the hands of Canelo and confirmed he will move back down to middleweight as a result.

Eubank, 33, has called for a fight with Golovkin, 40, ever since their talks collapsed at the last hurdle in 2016.

And the British contender is ready to give fans a Christmas cracker of a fight with GGG, despite returning against Conor Benn on October 8.

Eubank tweeted: "GGG you had a great run.

"Come back down to middleweight & let’s fight for those belts you still have in December or just pass em over & I’ll look after them for the next couple years while you enjoy retirement… you earned it champ."

Eubank is set to fight at a career-lowest 157lb for his catchweight clash with welterweight prospect Benn, 25.

That is despite calls from his own dad to pull out amid concerns in dropping the extra 3lb.

Meanwhile Golovkin poured cold water on retirement with plans to defend his WBA, IBF and WBO belts.

He said: "Remember guys, I still have three belts at 160. I'll come back guys. I'm still champion guys."

Golovkin settled his half a decade feud with Canelo, 32, following 36 shared rounds with his iconic rival.

He said: "I want to shake hands with Canelo, congrats. The guy is a real warrior and if you don't understand, you don't understand nothing."

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/19842...cember-retire/
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Sour note to go out on so he should probably fight at 160 again and see how it feels.

Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

i think jaime munguia is a good fight for ggg. is jermall still fighting? just stay far away from zhanibek
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

Titofan:

The fact is GGG has fought at 160 for his entire career. Post #87, 5th August 2022
    Hidden Content

Also Titofan:

GGG weighed 163 for the Rolls fight. Post #91, 6th August 2022

Hidden Content

Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Golovkin doesn’t lose any ground at 160 for losing a fight to the top guy at 168. For one thing, different weight class. For another, and even bigger thing since these rankings are not “official” .... no one else in this division has made anything close to a compelling enough argument that they should be considered the top middleweight.

Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I mean would Charlo or Alimkhanuly beat today’s GGG? Yeah, it's possible I think. But Charlo’s title reign has been truly HO-HUM and Janibek is just getting started, hasn’t had the chance to make a serious dent just yet. FUCKING HELL, none of them are likely to fight each other.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by NoSavingByTheBell View Post
    Sour note to go out on so he should probably fight at 160 again and see how it feels.
    Golovkin is past his best but still one of the best out there. In my view the Canelo score is 2/1 to Golovkin. The fact that he did lose this one against Canelo is in part due to a slow start and poor game plan. I think that he was reserving his tank for a long fight but did it for too long. He was back to the old Golovkin in the later rounds. He is in my view far from finished as he would still beat most if not all of the middleweight contenders.

Thread Information