Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    1669 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default David Haye in court

Ex-boxer David Haye ‘grabbed man around throat and threatened to kill him’, court hears

Former World Champion boxer David Haye is accused of grabbing a man around the throat and threatening to kill him during a fracas at the Hammersmith Apollo, a court heard.

The 41-year-old is accused of confronting Nickesh Jhala at the west London venue on October 30, 2021 over “derogatory remarks” made about the boxer.

Haye denies assault, insisting he put his hand on Mr Jhala’s shoulder and had not issued a threat when they spoke.

Opening the case against him, prosecutor Jonathan Bryan told Westminster magistrates court the incident happened after Mr Jhala and his friends had been moved to a row of seats just behind Haye.

“For reasons that are not entirely clear, Mr Haye got out of his seat, climbed or stepped over the back of it, cross the aisle and approached Mr Jhala”, he said.

“It seems Mr Haye believed some of the people sitting behind him had been making derogatory remarks about himself and his girlfriend sitting next to him.

“We say what Mr Haye did was put his hand around Mr Jhala’s throat and threatened him.”

Giving evidence, Mr Jhala said: “He approaches me, leans down to speak into my ear, and he puts his hand around my throat.

“He said ‘say one more word and I’m going to kill you’.”

Mr Jhala, who was at the Apollo with his partner and cousin, said he “felt threatened and was shaking”.

“I said ‘I didn’t even say anything, what are you talking about?’”, he said. “He said on his way back ‘say one more word and I’ll kill you’.”

Mr Jhala said he “didn’t want to ruin the evening” by complaining, but made a report to the police online a few days later.

The court heard Mr Jhala’s cousin - a boxing fan - had tried to speak to Haye during the interval, but the former boxer “didn’t want to engage in conversation” with him.

Defence barrister James Scobie KC said Haye put his hand “on the shoulder at most”, telling the court: “There were no threats to kill, ever.”

He said witnesses are due to be called to dispute where Haye’s hand was placed and the words that were exchanged.

Haye, who is one of Britain’s most successful ever boxers, retired from the sport in 2018 with a record of 28 victories and just four defeats in his career.

He became a unified cruiserweight world champion in 2008, and claimed the WBA title in 2009 after moving up to heavyweight status. Haye also joined the 12th series of ITV’s I’m a Celebrity… in 2012, coming in third.

The former boxer, who is currently living in a central London hotel, was arrested after stepping off a plane on June 2 at Heathrow Airport.

He denies assault by beating. The trial continues.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/newsl...7e187f9d6d1a8a
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: David Haye in court

Nikesh Jhala is a good man and should be believed. Nikesh goes to the Hammersmith from time to time and is an upstanding citizen. Chowdhury's show was supposed to be a fun night out when Haye did this to Nickesh. David "Little Toe" Haye is a hot-head and should not be trusted. He is a frustrated man. Why Pilling allowed him to refuse stating his address is an outrage. Haye is lucky it was thrown out. I believe Nickesh that Haye disrespected Nikesh's brother who was a boxer and it escalated from there.

Mentioned
    1669 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

DAVID Haye has been cleared of grabbing a man around the throat and threatening to kill him after a judge threw out an assault charge.

The ex-cruiserweight and heavyweight world champion was accused of attacking Nickesh Jhala after he made "derogatory remarks" towards him and his girlfriend.

Haye, 41, then grabbed the gig-goer's throat and told him: "One more word and I'm going to kill you", it was said.

But Haye has been cleared of assault during the Paul Chowdhry show at the Hammersmith Apollo after insisting he just put his hand on Mr Jhala's shoulder.

The judge ruled "that there is no case to answer" after hearing all of the prosecution's evidence and reviewing the CCTV footage.

Speaking after, Haye said outside court: "I'm very happy, very pleased, I'm just thankful that venues have CCTV, as we had four witnesses saying things that weren't shown on CCTV because if not, I would have been convicted of strangling someone, and that didn't happen.

"Obviously when something is out of your hands it's the court's decision on what they see, for all they know they could have listened to the witnesses and take the victim's word on it.

"I'm glad I don't have to come back tomorrow. James [Scobie] made sure the court heard exactly what happened and I'm all upward, I move forward, now park this, and hope not to come back to court again."

His trial at Westminster Magistrates' Court was told the alleged row unfolded after the comedy fan and his friends were moved to a row of seats just behind Haye.

Prosecutor Jonathan Bryan said Haye believed remarks were being made against him and his girlfriend from the people behind him.

The boxer then climbed over the back of his seat and approached Mr Jhala, it was said.

Giving evidence, the alleged victim said: "He approaches me, leans down to speak into my ear, and he puts his hand around my throat.

“He said ‘say one more word and I’m going to kill you’.”

He told the court he was left "petrified and traumatised" by the alleged attack.

Mr Jhala added: "I said ‘I didn’t even say anything, what are you talking about?’"

"He said on his way back ‘say one more word and I’ll kill you’.”

But Haye's defence barrister James Scobie KC told the court "at most" the boxer put his hand on Mr Jhala's shoulder, which was seen on CCTV.

The lawyer added: "There were no threats to kill, ever.”

He also said Mr Jhala and his cousin began talking about Haye's career and other boxers including Amir Khan and Tony Bellew to "get a rise".

The complainant spoke with police days later and Haye jetted off to America.

He was arrested on his return as he landed back at Heathrow Airport in June 2.

Haye is one of Britain's most successful boxers - with a record 28 victories and just four defeats in his career.

He spent time as both cruiserweight and heavyweight champion of the world before retiring in 2018.

Haye made a one-fight comeback in September 2021, defeating good friend Joe Fournier in an exhibition clash.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/19998...assault-trial/
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

So there was video evidence that Haye was innocent and the people accusing him were lying. In spite of this Haye is dragged into court and gets endless negative press with doubtless many more people reading the bullshit accusations than the number who read it's all bullshit and he's innocent. And the four people who lied about it aren't charged with anything even though there's video evidence that they lied. Great fucking job, British justice.

Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Nickesh Jhala is a good man who goes to the Hammersmith on a regular basis.

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by NoSavingByTheBell View Post
    David Haye is a good man who point blank refuses to give interviews has been hacks that followed the Queen on the Caribbean tour of 1458. .
    ^^^^^ fixed it for you. 👍
    Former Undisputed 4 belt Prediction champion. Still P4P and People’s Champion.

Thread Information