Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    1670 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Who should AJ fight next?

Not to ressurect the AJ v Wilder discussion again but didn't Wilder offer an insane amount to AJ which was refused because they beleved the money was not there?
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

It's all a pathetic merry go round.

A ruiz rubber match would sell next. One he should win but will be interesting for the fans.
    Don't bully fat kids - they've got enough on their plate

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

If going by ratings and return strictly, call up Michael Hunter. Maybe a Martin Bakole or Wallin. Still think he has some things to sort out, namely his camp and confidence, and at home he could blow it up in return with those as first steps. Definitely would take all over Arreola .

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

See now my thinking is a little different to most on this. I don’t think he’s as “mentally fragile” as everyone would have us believe.
    Yes, he had a meltdown last time out , and the throwing of the belts is inexcusable, but in the cold light of day he realised he was wrong and made his apologies.
    He basically lost twice in a row to somebody who I think would beat every other HW out there.
    The style match up is a nightmare for AJ, But nobody else is capable of doing what Usyk does, not even Fury.
    People say Fury has good hands , great technique and is nimble on his feet , “FOR A BIG GUY”, but nowhere near Usyk.
    All him and the other heavies have on Usyk is size and reach.
    Personally I believe Joshua should fight the highest ranked HW available.
    Eddie is shitting himself, because it’s his golden ticket.but Joshua doesn’t need tune ups and all that bollocks. Nor do any of them.
    Just go out there, fight the best guy you can to stay relevant and worth your purse.
    Former Undisputed 4 belt Prediction champion. Still P4P and People’s Champion.

Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Bakole would be a good one, he gave Yoka a bit of a thrashing but he's a bit unknown even in Britain I think... Bakole would be best off taking on an old but still fairly good gatekeeper....like chisora ah yes the number one ranked heavyweight is fighting chisora, again.

Mentioned
    1670 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

ANTHONY JOSHUA has shown off a new slimline physique ahead of a potential rematch against Dillian Whyte.

The British heavyweight, 33, is set to make a return to the ring early next year, with Whyte currently the "frontrunner" for his next bout.

And following the news, Joshua posted his fresh look to his Instagram page.

His crisp look saw him wearing a navy jacket and trousers with a pair of white, blue and black shoes, along with a pair of black sunglasses.

His post - which received more than 30,000 likes in just over an hour - was captioned: "Casually casual."

And in the image, he appeared to have trimmed down his physique somewhat since his championship fight against Oleksandr Usyk.

Joshua was handed back-to-back defeats for the first time in his pro career against Usyk, seeing him consequently lose his WBA, WBO and IBF titles for good.

Tyson Fury offered Joshua the chance for a blockbuster "Battle of Britain" fight on December 3, but they failed to agree terms and Fury has instead lined up a trilogy fight against Derek Chisora.

Fast forward to now and Joshua is in contention to fight 34-year-old Whyte in a repeat of their 2015 clash.

Promoter Eddie Hearn confirmed an ideal time of early next year for Joshua's next fight, and said: "In terms of names, talking to him the other day, he wants to fight Dillian Whyte, really.

"Dillian Whyte fights on November 26 against (Jermaine) Franklin, who is talking a tremendous game, and we’ll see how that plays out.

"I think Dillian Whyte is the frontrunner if he comes through. Otto Wallin is a guy that has reached out numerous times. That’s a good fight for him as well.

"Then there’s the (Deontay) Wilder situation. I’m not saying that’s going to be the fight for January or February, but it’s definitely a fight that he’s looking at.

"The feeling for AJ is the value of - and by the way, none of them are easy fights - a tune-up is sometimes they’re as dangerous as each other.

"I don’t think he wants to start dropping out of the top 15 and top 10 of the governing bodies and just looking for an easy touch.

"I think he wants a real fight, and those are all real fights that you could see."

Joshua was dethroned by Deontay Wilder in Ring Magazine's heavyweight boxing rankings after the Bronze Bomber's first-round knockout victory against Robert Helenius.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/20219...whyte-rematch/

Mentioned
    1670 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Eddie Hearn has revealed that Deontay Wilder's manager, Shelly Finkel, has responded to his Anthony Joshua fight offer via email. Hearn told reporters in August that he had sent his own email to Finkel regarding a 'big money offer' but had received no response.

Now, the Matchroom Boxing chief has disclosed that he received a one-line email back from Finkel querying the financial side of the deal.

Speaking to iD Boxing in Abu Dhabi ahead of Dmitry Bivol vs Zurdo Ramirez, he said: "They actually emailed me today. I emailed him in August to talk about an offer. He came back today; it took a long while but at least he replied.

"That offer that we had for him was for this year, obviously, with our relationship out here, we'd like to continue that offer [for the Middle East]. I actually invited Deontay and Shelly out here this week. They can't come but we'll be working with them and try and come up with some ideas.

"Again, it all depends on AJ if he waits to go into a fight like that or if he has a fight earlier in the year. But I see AJ vs Deontay Wilder as a must-make fight I really do I think it's one of the biggest in the sport.

"They just want to know. They want to know the numbers. Of course, they should do as well because there's a lot of money in play in the shows we do. I feel that we can hopefully have some discussions and see if AJ vs Wilder or Whyte against Wilder or whoever it is could be an option, particularly out here in the Middle East."

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/sport/boxi...3ff7b504058ca0

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Primo Carnera

Mentioned
    1670 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Eddie Hearn has confirmed the five potential fights for Anthony Joshua when he returns to the ring next year. Hearn previously coined Dillian Whyte as the 'frontrunner'. However, he is not the only opponent in consideration.

Deontay Wilder, Filip Hrgovic, Zhang Zhilei, Otto Wallin, and the winner of Whyte vs Jermaine Franklin on November 26 are all possible options according to the Matchroom Boxing chief.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/sport/boxi...911a33532555fa

Mentioned
    1670 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Eddie Hearn swore at Anthony Joshua in a baffled reaction to the former heavyweight champion's apparent desire to take on any opponent when he returns to the boxing ring. Joshua's promoter Hearn has also confirmed that the 33-year-old will now not make his return until 2023.

Hearn has been mapping out Joshua's return to action as he looks to reignite his career after two damaging consecutive defeats to unbeaten Ukrainian Oleksandr Usyk. Negotiations had broken down with Tyson Fury over a hotly-anticipated Battle of Britain bout in December, and Joshua's next opponent is still unconfirmed.

Deontay Wilder has long been touted as an exciting rival for Joshua in what would prove a thrilling heavyweight match-up. And Matchroom promoter Hearn has confirmed that the Bronze Bomber is a realistic option for Joshua next year.

But he has also revealed the details of a recent conversation where he was left confused as Joshua stated that he would like to go to battle again with Andy Ruiz Jr, who inflicted the first loss of his career in 2019, or with Uzbek prospect Bakhodir Jalovov.

"Definitely, I mean, (Wilder) was one of the names I mentioned to him tonight," Hearn told reporters. "I'm not just saying it, but I couldn't say a fight to AJ that he doesn't go... he said tonight about Andy Ruiz.

"I said have you seen Andy Ruiz over there, he went 'yeah, I'd love to fight him again'. I was like, 'why? You're not fighting him again!'. He was like 'why not?' and I went 'f*** off'. He's horrible!"

Hearn continued: "He saw Jalavov and said 'I'd love to fight him' and I go 'why? He's about 4-0! He just wants to fight everybody. It's just the case of whether he has... and it wouldn't be an easy fight, but an easier fight before he goes into a Deontay Wilder or a Dillian Whyte basically."

Wilder and Whyte have both been identified as opponents for Joshua, but it remains to be seen whether a less accomplished opponent will be preferred on his return. Joshua has struggled with inactivity of late, fighting just five times since beating Alexander Povetkin in 2018.

And Hearn has revealed his star British fighter has taken the rest of the year off after becoming disillusioned with the sport following his Fury frustration.

"He just sort of lost faith a little bit with boxing because he really wanted to fight Tyson Fury," Hearn told Boxing Social. "That's the main reason that he didn't fight this year. He was just pissed off. You know, he [Fury] got his bluff called really, we feel. What are these people doing?

"They say they want to fight me, now I've got a deadline, Chisora gets another month to do the deal, and I had to sign it then. So, that's why you're going to see him [AJ] fight maybe the end of February, but probably March."

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/sport/boxi...e7e0ddf107797c

Mentioned
    1670 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Anthony Joshua will no longer work with Robert Garcia or any other coach exclusively following his second defeat to Oleksandr Usyk.

'AJ' parted ways with long-term coach Robert McCracken last year after facing heavy criticism for his tactics in his second career defeat to the Ukrainian last year. The former two-time champion then linked up with experienced coach Robert Garcia who came over to the UK to prepare him for the lucrative second meeting in Saudi Arabia back in August.

However Garcia was unable to guide Joshua to his revenge as he lost sight of his unified heavyweight world titles for the foreseeable future after falling to a split decision defeat again against Usyk. Now the British star has insisted he will work with coaches on a fight-to-fight basis, but predicts that he will work with Garcia again in the future.

“So in terms of Robert Garcia, thank you for asking. I respect him a lot," Joshua told Sporting News when asked who would be cornering him for his potential comeback in 2023. "He’s a really good man, really good trainer. Will I work with him again? Yeah I would, but what I’ve said to Robert and the team as well is that I want to be a free spirit. You know, I locked myself down for 11 years with one coach, and now I just feel like I just want to learn as much as possible.

"Honestly, if you know me closely, which a lot of the viewers probably don’t, what it is is it’s not the trainer it’s about the fighter, what he has up here [in his head]. So I feel I’m in a position where I’m able to work with anyone. So, yeah, who knows what will happen next year.”

Garcia, who has trained 14 fighters to world titles during his career, flew over to Joshua's camp to corner the heavyweight with his other trainer Angel Fernandez who the heavyweight had brought over from his existing team. The pair worked at Loughborough University which was a significant move away from his previous long-term Sheffield base.

Despite confidence in Joshua that he could secure unlikely redemption, the 33-year-old was unable to overturn the margins despite showing an improved display. Garcia claimed after the fight that Joshua should consider relocating to America for his next camp, depending on when his opponent is confirmed.

“I told Anthony and all his team that, for me, the best way to keep working together is if Anthony comes to train in my gym in California eight weeks before a fight," García told Izquierdazo. “From six to eight weeks, that’s all I need for a good camp. I told Anthony, ‘I need you to be around more fighters, more champions, I want you to have more fighters for competition, even if they are from the same gym, but you have to compete'."

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/boxin...-news-28440422

Mentioned
    1670 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Former WBO super featherweight champion Barry Jones 'massively favours' Deontay Wilder to beat Anthony Joshua if they ever face each other. The boxer-turned-pundit used to pick Joshua but now thinks 'there is something lacking, that wasn't lacking before'.

Joshua is set to return to the ring in early 2023 after back-to-back losses to Oleksandr Usyk. According to promoter Eddie Hearn, the winner of Dillian Whyte vs Jermaine Franklin on November 26 is the 'frontrunner' for Joshua's next fight.

The Matchroom Boxing chief also hinted at the possibility of the long-awaited showdown with Wilder taking place at the back end of the year providing all goes well in 'AJ's' next couple of fights. Wilder and manager Shelly Finkel have expressed their willingness to take the fight and early discussions between both parties via email has begun.

Over the years, the fight has failed to make it off the negotiation table but with Wilder recently admitting that he will retire at 40, conservative efforts are being made to make the clash happen. With that in mind, Jones broke down the fight during a recent interview with Intu Boxing and explained why he is now backing Wilder to take home the victory.

"When they were both undefeated, I always fancied Joshua and the reason was because Wilder throws his punches from too far out, you can see them coming. Joshua is neat and tidy and down the middle," said Jones.

"I always thought he will get there first and if he gets there first, you're done. Since, the third Wilder-Fury fight, Wilder showed so much bottle in that fight and now I favour Wilder massively in the Joshua fight."

"If Joshua lands first, he can knock you out, but I think Wilder might be able to take it or get up. If Wilder hits you right, as you're coming forward, you're done. I still think there is something lacking with Joshua, that wasn't lacking before [his defeats], whether that's mental, confidence or if he's unsure of himself. You can see, he second-guesses himself.

"Whether there's too many voices, I don't know what it is, I'm not blaming anybody, but he is not the same. He is still a good fighter, but he is openly vulnerable and for his style and the way he is, that's not a good thing."

Wilder is expected to face Andy Ruiz Jr in a WBC final eliminator for a shot at Tyson Fury's green strap. Sanctioning body president Mauricio Sulaimán has confirmed that the contest will be ordered at the WBC convention this week.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/sport/boxi...36558be8c8ca3e

Mentioned
    1670 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Speaking to Sporting News, Joshua revealed that he wants to be a 'free spirit' after being 'tied down' by one trainer for 11 years (McCracken).

"So, in terms of Robert Garcia, thank you for asking," he said. "I respect him a lot. He's a really good man, really good trainer. Will I work with him again? Yeah, I would, but what I've said to Robert and the team as well is that I want to be a free spirit. You know, I locked myself down for 11 years with one coach, and now I just feel like I just want to learn as much as possible."

Roy Jones Jr recently disclosed that he has had conversations with Joshua about potentially training him while Garcia came out last week to affirm that he hasn't been in contact with Joshua 'for quite some time'.

With all the speculation surrounding Joshua's next move, McGuigan was asked whether he would train Joshua if approached. Speaking to Seconds Out, he said: "It's Anthony Joshua, of course, I would fancy it.

"Athletic guy, he's got things to learn, and he needs to get the belief back in himself. Genuine belief back in himself, a couple of good victories and then roll the dice again."

He added: "I believe I could get a lot of good work in with AJ. I think as long as he gets back to believing what the right approach is for him then he'll get back to doing great things again."

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/sport/boxi...850a4c7d534003

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    Speaking to Sporting News, Joshua revealed that he wants to be a 'free spirit' after being 'tied down' by one trainer for 11 years (McCracken).

"So, in terms of Robert Garcia, thank you for asking," he said. "I respect him a lot. He's a really good man, really good trainer. Will I work with him again? Yeah, I would, but what I've said to Robert and the team as well is that I want to be a free spirit. You know, I locked myself down for 11 years with one coach, and now I just feel like I just want to learn as much as possible."

Roy Jones Jr recently disclosed that he has had conversations with Joshua about potentially training him while Garcia came out last week to affirm that he hasn't been in contact with Joshua 'for quite some time'.

With all the speculation surrounding Joshua's next move, McGuigan was asked whether he would train Joshua if approached. Speaking to Seconds Out, he said: "It's Anthony Joshua, of course, I would fancy it.

"Athletic guy, he's got things to learn, and he needs to get the belief back in himself. Genuine belief back in himself, a couple of good victories and then roll the dice again."

He added: "I believe I could get a lot of good work in with AJ. I think as long as he gets back to believing what the right approach is for him then he'll get back to doing great things again."

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/sport/boxi...850a4c7d534003
    now I've given AJ a bit more respect than most over time. but this is complete bullshit . I saw an interview with RJJ the other day when his name was being mentioned and they said about AJ saying this about moving around and they asked RJJ if he thought it was a good idea.
    He said - "Absolutely not! you can't go to one trainer and he teaches you a ceetain way, then you go to another and he would teach you totally differently so you would get mixed up. I also think he implied that he wouldn't be prepared to train AJ if it was gonna be on that basis.
    What Joshua has to understand is that he's looking for something that doesn't exist! he wants a trainer to make him a great boxer.
    there is no golden secret to producing great boxers .
    Ultimately all the answers are within him. only HE can make himself a great boxer.
    Former Undisputed 4 belt Prediction champion. Still P4P and People’s Champion.

Mentioned
    1670 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

AJ does seem lost at the moment and maybe he should just go back to basics with McCracken. The other trainers will say anything to cash in on him.

Thread Information