Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Understanding boxing rankings across alphabet orgs

Ok guys. At the risk of sounding out of touch, I started this thread to get some earnest discussions going about the ins-and-outs of boxing rankings.

Let's take welter, for instance (since there's so much discussion lately of Spence vs Crawford and how it may or many happen).

Ok, so Bud holds the WBO belt while Spencer holds the other 3 major belts. So far so good. But... how is it that Spence is not even ranked in the top 15 by the WBO, while Crawford is nowhere to be found on the contender lists of the other three orgs? Is it a promoter issue? If so, why are other contenders on every list? (Example: Ennis is #2 WBO, #1 IBF, #3 WBC, #2 WBA). Thurman is #3 WBO, #6 IBF, #1 WBC, #3 WBA. Connor Benn is 4, 5, 5, 4, respectively. You get the point. What is it about Spence and Crawford that keeps them apart on alphabet org lists?

IMO, a ranking is a ranking. Promoters be damned. A WBO not ranking Spence loses immediate credibility. Ditto with the other orgs for not ranking Bud.

Is this somehow related to what keeps these guys from fighting each other? Spence is PBC, right? Does this mean the WBO snubs ALL fighters promoted by PBC? Or is this strictly a "Spence thing"? Crawford parted ways with Top Rank. Was Bob Arum the reason why Bud wasn't ranked by any org outside the WBO? Do these orgs rank ANY fighter under Top Rank?

Somebody help me out here. This is thoroughly confusing, even for a college grad.

Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Understanding boxing rankings across alphabet orgs

Most organizations will not rank another organization's champion. A lot of times they won't rank somebody ranked by another organization in their top 10.
    You pay for rankings. It is a status and a money game.
    The WBo is very obvious about this, but that is how it plays out across the board. It works like this if your financial backing isn't strong: Your management or promotional team will play up front to get you ranked. If you are successful, down the road your training expenses, for which you are compensated, will be 20,000, but your manager/promoter will say that they were 35,000, and that will be deducted from what the fighter gets. That is repayment on what was spent to get him favorable rankings.
    You can fight your way up but...you and I have been around long enough to know the fighter I was with in 2015. When his manager got a deal worked out with money people, part of which involved moving that fighter to being trained by Abel Sanchez, he immediately went from #14 in the organizations to #7. Without a fight.
    My partner has told me stories of his time with a guy that became a WBO world champion. The guy was getting paid $150,000 for a fight, but getting 30 because of "training expenses" that were payments to keep him ranked and moving up.
    And this goes back to why guys never get matched tough coming up...you find a guy that you can market and the investment starts piling up from the gate.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by greynotsoold View Post
    Most organizations will not rank another organization's champion. A lot of times they won't rank somebody ranked by another organization in their top 10.
    You pay for rankings. It is a status and a money game.
    The WBo is very obvious about this, but that is how it plays out across the board. It works like this if your financial backing isn't strong: Your management or promotional team will play up front to get you ranked. If you are successful, down the road your training expenses, for which you are compensated, will be 20,000, but your manager/promoter will say that they were 35,000, and that will be deducted from what the fighter gets. That is repayment on what was spent to get him favorable rankings.
    You can fight your way up but...you and I have been around long enough to know the fighter I was with in 2015. When his manager got a deal worked out with money people, part of which involved moving that fighter to being trained by Abel Sanchez, he immediately went from #14 in the organizations to #7. Without a fight.
    My partner has told me stories of his time with a guy that became a WBO world champion. The guy was getting paid $150,000 for a fight, but getting 30 because of "training expenses" that were payments to keep him ranked and moving up.
    And this goes back to why guys never get matched tough coming up...you find a guy that you can market and the investment starts piling up from the gate.

Thanks, grey. I appreciate your input. You've been around the game in aspects most of us have not. So this insight is super valuable. It's puzzling that orgs won't rank another org's champions... at all. I mean, not even in the top 15. It comes across as petty and it undermines their credibility in the public's eye... but I understand the financial aspect.

I actually don't mind that there are four major boxing orgs. Maybe if they worked things a little more on the "up and up", I'd mind even less. The idea of champions fighting unifications bouts is pleasing to me. But the way these orgs go about their rankings leaves a lot to be desired. Nothing like getting the straight scoop from someone on the inside.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Thats brilliant Grey, straight talk! Rankings in general are marketing and just run down any top 10 and the disparity is blinding. The daily rages on p4p are almost an entire gameshow now . Generally, I go to the Ring rankings as a balance point but they also get slammed now and flat dismissed. There was a time when the other groups were literally not mentioned on air . It was short. These alphabet boyz in a worse case scenario are acting as literal rental agencies for shiny trinkets put around temp-champs. And some know it and are matched like it going in. We know who climbs and we know who gets fast forwarded up the chain. If anything fans are great at calling bullshit on every aspect of boxing but tuning in next weekend. Thurman went from a 2.5 year retirement to suddenly fighting 140 Mario Barrios in a wbc eliminator. He now sits at #3 pretty much across the board. But oddly if he gets Boots, Stanionis or Spence tomorrow, I'll watch.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I stopped looking at the alphabet boys ratings 25+ years ago and just go by the Ring also.

Much easier !
    Don't bully fat kids - they've got enough on their plate

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Mark TKO View Post
    I stopped looking at the alphabet boys ratings 25+ years ago and just go by the Ring also.

Much easier !
    Yeah, but Golden Boy bought it, that doesn’t always give a fair reflection now. Let’s face it, Money OWNS Boxing.
    Former Undisputed 4 belt Prediction champion. Still P4P and People’s Champion.

Thread Information