8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Elon Musk and Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by walrus View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by X View Post

I am not sure he is the visionary he likes us to think he is. Born rich and privelaged in apartheid South Africa, made his money by investing his existing money in other peoples ideas. Nothing wrong with that, but he is a money genius not an invention genius.

And his cringeworthy overreactions to things and constant attention seeking are now hugely tiresome.

Frozen-mask faced tosser
    SpaceX, Tesla, boring company starlink and twatter. I understand the guy irritates some but how can you not give him credit. I think Twitter was a dumb move and whacked Tesla stock but the guy can run a company and he came to the US via Canada (yes he is an African American now) with very little and accomplished much. He cool in my book, I would think the more your recorded talking the more people can pick apart what you say, especially if much of what you put out isn’t scripted.

Fair enough. Don’t agree with all your points but he is definitely richer and more successful than I am! Very true about picking out snippets of interviews without context - that happens a lot - but I can’t warm to the guy ….
    If God wanted us to be vegetarians, why are animals made of meat ?

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

https://www.thedailybeast.com/elon-m...-americans-see

Free speech absolutism.

That's just one of the crazy things about Musk buying Twitter. He knows it's secondary to his car and other businesses and that he needs significant support and cooperation from China and Indian regimes to set up factories in those markets and do business there. He knows the price of doing business there is to kowtow to the regimes like other western businesses do, especially media businesses like Hollywood and news businesses. You'd think the last thing he'd do would be to buy Twitter while claiming he was doing it to save free speech because immediately he's in conflict with his main business interests. He really thought he could be Mr. Free Speech Warrior in the west and kowtow to dictators in the east and nobody would notice? He's having some kind of slow blowing mental event it looks like. He'll end up in a hotel penthouse with foot long fingernails.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

https://twitter.com/jdan/status/1649466728542347266

https://twitter.com/oneunderscore__/...53480946786304

Musk only needs to attract another fifty million subscribers to make up for the advertising revenue lost since he took over.

Never mind, the product has improved dramatically recently:

https://twitter.com/JewishWorker/sta...52978026840064

Mentioned
    944 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Hidden Content

"I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it."

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Beanz View Post

Sure. No evidence. Except for this:

https://www.reuters.com/world/us/tex...ay-2023-05-08/

May 8 (Reuters) - The man Texas authorities say killed eight people in a barrage of gunfire at a Dallas-area shopping mall over the weekend left behind a social media profile filled with white supremacist and neo-Nazi ideology, multiple news outlets reported on Monday.

News reports linking the assailant to language praising Hitler and to diatribes vilifying racial minorities and women emerged as state police named the five adults murdered on Saturday and confirmed that three children also died - two girls, aged 11 and 8, and a 3-year-old boy.

Among the adults who lost their lives, police said, were Kyo Song Cho, 37, and his wife, Cindy Cho, 35, of Dallas. According to local media, they were the parents of the slain 3-year-old and of a 6-year-old son who was wounded and left as the lone surviving member of his immediate family.

The two girls who died, both from Sachse, Texas, were sisters, local media reported.

The deceased also included two other men, Christian LeCour, 23, of Nevada, Texas, and Elio Cumana-Rivas, 32, of Dallas, and a woman, Aishwarya Thatikonda, 26, of McKinney, Texas, police said.

A further 10 people, ranging in age from 5 to 61, were injured in the mass shooting, at least three of them critically.

Authorities have offered no word about a possible motive for Saturday's carnage at the Allen Premium Outlets mall in Allen, Texas, a suburb of Dallas, where the gunman, identified as Mauricio Garcia, 33, opened fire with an AR-15-style rifle.

Police said the attacker, a Dallas resident, was shot dead by police arriving at the scene.

PRAISE FOR HITLER AND 'RWDS' PATCH
    Investigators combing social media accounts linked to the gunman found hate-filled posts targeting racial and ethnic minorities, NBC News reported, citing two law enforcement officials.

At the time of the shooting, Garcia also wore a patch bearing an "RWDS" insignia, a symbol associated with violent right-wing extremists, including the Proud Boys, according to news media organizations. RWDS is an acronym known to stand for "Right Wing Death Squad."

The New York Times, citing its own law enforcement sources, reported Garcia was believed to have posted a number of messages on a Russian social media platform praising Hitler, sympathizing with neo-Nazi beliefs and disparaging women.

The author behind some of the posts under investigation repeatedly suggested he was of Hispanic heritage and as recently as last month included a post saying that "white people and Hispanics have a lot in common."

Reuters could not independently confirm the reports.

The Allen Police Department, Collin County Sheriff's Office and the Texas Department of Public Safety did not immediately respond to requests for comment on the reports.

The massacre is among the latest in at least 202 mass shootings recorded in the United States this year, according to the nonprofit group Gun Violence Archive. The group defines a mass shooting as any in which four or more people are wounded or killed, not including the shooter.

In a statement on Sunday, U.S. President Biden renewed calls for the Congress to ban assault weapons and high-capacity ammunition magazines, as well as to enact universal background checks and end immunity for gun manufacturers.

In a surprise move, a committee of the state House of Representatives on Monday approved legislation to raise the minimum legal age for purchasing certain semi-automatic rifles from 18 to 21 in Texas.

The measure was sponsored by Democratic lawmaker Tracy King, whose district includes the city of Uvalde, where 19 children and two teachers were killed in a mass shooting nearly a year ago. But it is unlikely to pass the Republican-dominated legislature and is opposed by Governor Greg Abbott.

Then again... maybe the social media posts were "planted" by conspirators that only seek to discredit the noble White Supremacist causes.

Also the RWDS patch could've been "planted" by police also (after they shot the shooter to death) as part of that same conspiracy.

I wasn't there... and got no DNA samples. So basically I don't even know whether there was any shooting at all.

The only important thing here is to know whether the 6-year old shot back in self-defense.

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by TitoFan View Post
    I wasn't there... and got no DNA samples. So basically I don't even know whether there was any shooting at all.

The only important thing here is to know whether the 6-year old shot back in self-defense.
    your first sentence is all truth. you weren't there so you don't know what happened. did people die? maybe? is the full story being told? probably not. your second sentence is a made up misrepresentation. which is why my signature remains. you are the kind of person who likes to make up your own facts & then contracdict the fact you just made up
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by TIC View Post

your first sentence is all truth. you weren't there so you don't know what happened. did people die? maybe? is the full story being told? probably not. your second sentence is a made up misrepresentation. which is why my signature remains. you are the kind of person who likes to make up your own facts & then contracdict the fact you just made up

I don't see signatures. Must be something in my settings.

Also... why the knee-jerk reaction? Did I touch a nerve or something? What "facts" did I "make up" in the second statement... and then contradict them?

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Also... why the knee-jerk reaction? Did I touch a nerve or something? What "facts" did I "make up" in the second statement... and then contradict them?
    no knee jerk reaction. just highlighting that your second sentence is a made up misrepresentation. do you have trouble with comprehension? i didn't say anything about your second sentence making up facts & contracdicting them. my signature highlights you doing that. here it is for you:

Titofan:

The fact is GGG has fought at 160 for his entire career. Post #87, 5th August 2022
    https://www.saddoboxing.com/boxingfo...-9-22-a-6.html

Also Titofan:

GGG weighed 163 for the Rolls fight. Post #91, 6th August 2022

quick go edit your replies, don't worry i have screenshots so your mentality can always be highlighted
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

no knee jerk reaction. just highlighting that your second sentence is a made up misrepresentation. do you have trouble with comprehension? i didn't say anything about your second sentence making up facts & contracdicting them. my signature highlights you doing that. here it is for you:

Titofan:

The fact is GGG has fought at 160 for his entire career. Post #87, 5th August 2022

Also Titofan:

quick go edit your replies, don't worry i have screenshots so your mentality can always be highlighted

That's your signature?? Damn... talk about living rent-free in someone's head.

You're still crowing about that insignificant technicality about GGG having fought at 163 ONE time?? HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

Any adult would've read my comment and understood exactly what my point was.

163 doesn't even reach the midpoint between 160 and 168.

If GGG had fought at 168... maybe... MAYBE... you'd have a weak point. But you don't even have that.

All you have is the nitpicking that kids do when an adult is making a point... and the kid jumps on the slightest error to claim some juvenile victory.

But hey... happy to be important enough to you to make your signature.

Heh-heh.

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Titofan:

Also Titofan:

You're still crowing about that insignificant technicality about GGG having fought at 163 ONE time?? HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

If GGG had fought at 168... maybe... MAYBE... you'd have a weak point. But you don't even have that.

All you have is the nitpicking that kids do when an adult is making a point... and the kid jumps on the slightest error to claim some juvenile victory.

Heh-heh.
    just highlighting your mentality. you made up a fact & then went ahead & contradicted it

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Titofan:

Also Titofan:

Heh-heh.
    just highlighting your mentality. you made up a fact & then went ahead & contradicted it

My point has been made. Most adults will side with me. Nitpicky kids will side with you. Claim your prize at the door.

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Titofan:

Also Titofan:

Heh-heh.

My point has been made. Most adults will side with me. Nitpicky kids will side with you. Claim your prize at the door.
    most adults don't make up things & call them facts & then contradict the fact they just made up

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Yes. Elon Musk is a despicable human being.

But even despicable human beings get it right once in a while.

https://twitter.com/realDailyWire/st...372941312?s=20

Might as well put this here. None of the browbeaten major streaming companies dare touch it.

Mentioned
    1669 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Looks like Elon is getting battered in more ways than one.

Ten million users signed up for Meta's newly launched Threads app in its first seven hours, the company's chief Mark Zuckerberg says.

He pitched the app as a "friendly" rival to Twitter, which was bought by Elon Musk in October.

Experts say Threads could attract Twitter users unhappy with recent changes to the platform.

Threads allows users to post up to 500 characters, and has many features similar to Twitter.

Earlier, Mr Zuckerberg said keeping the platform "friendly... will ultimately be the key to its success".

But Mr Musk responded: "It is infinitely preferable to be attacked by strangers on Twitter, than indulge in the false happiness of hide-the-pain Instagram."

When asked on Threads whether the app will be "bigger than Twitter", Mr Zuckerberg said: "It'll take some time, but I think there should be a public conversations app with 1 billion+ people on it.

"Twitter has had the opportunity to do this but hasn't nailed it. Hopefully we will."

Competitors have criticised the amount of data the app might use. This may include health, financial, and browsing data linked to users' identities, according to the Apple App Store.

Threads is now available to download in over 100 countries including the UK, but not yet in the EU because of regulatory concerns.

Meta, which owns Facebook and Instagram, called the new app an "initial version", with extra features planned including the ability to interact with people on other social media apps like Mastodon.

"Our vision with Threads is to take what Instagram does best and expand that to text," the firm said prior to its launch.

Despite Threads being a standalone app, users log in using an Instagram account. Their Instagram username carries over, but there is an option to customize their profile specifically for Threads.

Users will also be able to choose to follow the same accounts they do on Instagram, Meta says. The app allows users to be private on Instagram, but public on Threads.

The new app's release comes after criticism of Meta's business practices.

Last year, Meta whistleblower Frances Haugen said the company had put "profits over safety" and criticised how the platform was moderated.

The company was also rocked by a scandal in which it allowed third parties, including British political consultancy Cambridge Analytica, to access Facebook users' personal data.

In an apparent reference to this controversial past, Mr Musk joked on Monday "thank goodness they're so sanely run".

There are several alternatives to Twitter available, such as Bluesky and Mastodon, but these have struggled to gain traction.

Threads has a significant advantage because it is connected to Instagram, and the hundreds of millions of users already on that platform.

On Threads, posts can be shared to Instagram and vice versa and can include links, photos, and videos of up to five minutes in length.

However, some early users on Wednesday reported problems when uploading images, hinting at teething problems.

Users see a feed of posts, which Meta calls "threads", from people they follow as well as recommended content.

They are able to control who can "mention" them and filter out replies to posts that contain specific words.

Unfollowing, blocking, restricting or reporting other profiles is also possible, and any accounts users block on Instagram are automatically blocked on Threads.

While Meta stresses ties to Instagram, media coverage has focused on its similarity to Twitter, with some investors describing the app as a "Twitter killer".

On Saturday, Twitter boss Elon Musk restricted the number of tweets users could see on his platform per day, citing extreme "data scraping".

It was Mr Musk's latest push to get users to sign up to Twitter Blue, the platform's subscription service.

Twitter has also announced that its popular user dashboard TweetDeck will go behind a paywall in 30 days' time.

Since Mr Musk took over, many users of Twitter have publicly expressed their dissatisfaction with the platform and his stewardship - citing erratic behaviour and political views.

Last month, Mr Musk and Meta boss Mark Zuckerberg agreed - possibly in jest - to a cage fight, and Mr Zuckerberg's early posts on Threads mentioned his interest in mixed martial arts.

While Threads will be available in the UK, it is not yet available in the EU because of regulatory uncertainty, particularly around the EU's Digital Markets Act.

But the company says it is looking into launching in the EU.

That act lays down rules on how large companies such as Meta can share data between platforms that they own. The sharing of data between Threads and Instagram is part of the issue.

Meta maintains protecting privacy is fundamental to its business.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-66112648
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Threads Not a great name for a competitor in the short attention span theater that is social media. Sounds like the name of a quilt and sweater knitting forum populated largely by Grandmothers.

These two fighting in some mma contest is going to be the biggest 'work' yet.

Thread Information