Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default RIP Mills Lane

rest peacefully mills, one of the best with an immortal catchphrase. let's get it on champion
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

Titofan:

The fact is GGG has fought at 160 for his entire career. Post #87, 5th August 2022
    Hidden Content

Also Titofan:

GGG weighed 163 for the Rolls fight. Post #91, 6th August 2022

Hidden Content

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: rip mills lane

Oh no!

Wow... didn't realize he was already 85 years old. Definitely one of my favorite referees. A no-nonsense kind of guy... but not one to try and be the show. Worked a whole bunch of big, championship fights... and he will definitely be missed.

My condolences to his family.

R.I.P., Mills.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

My favourite ref of all time. No nonsense how it should be.

Remember how awesome I thought Knockout Kings 2001 was with the inclusion of Mills as fight ref and his Let’s Get it On before the fight.

RIP Legend
    Don't bully fat kids - they've got enough on their plate

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Mills Lane was not afraid of making the big calls in the big fights. He rightfully disqualified Tyson and Akinwande for their actions.

Lane was a judge so that would have helped.

RIP great ref.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Sad thing was I thought he was already dead. Like passed away some 20 years ago?! Wow... RIP to Lane.
    Bigger man George, bigger punch!

Subscribe: Free online Classifieds and Business directory!
    Hidden Content

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: RIP Mills Lane

The American icon passed away surrounded by family at a hospice in Reno, Nevada.

Lane enjoyed a brief-but-successful boxing career when he was young.

But he was best known as one of the sport's top referees, overseeing fights including Mike Tyson vs Evander Holyfield in 1997, as well as other boxing legends including Muhammad Ali.

Son Tommy Lane confirmed: "He took a significant decline in his overall situation.

"It was a quick departure. He was comfortable and he was surrounded by his family.

"You never knew how long he had. We kind of felt like we were preparing for this all along, but there's no such thing as preparing for this."

Lane first started boxing with the US Marine Corps in 1958 and became the All Far-East welterweight champion when stationed in Okinawa.

He turned professional two years later before stopping boxing with a 10-1 record.

Lane then turned his hand to refereeing in the 70s, eventually taking charge of 100 world championship fights while coining the phrase "let's get it on."

His most famous bout came in 1997 when Tyson bit the ear of opponent Holyfield, forcing Lane to stop the fight before disqualifying Tyson.

Tributes came pouring in on social media, with one fan saying: "RIP to one of the most recognizable and influential men in the sport, Mills Lane."

Another wrote: "The best referee ever in my opinion. RIP."

One noted: "R.I.P. legend. Let’s get it on!"

Another added: "Sad! I grew up watching him referee some of the greatest fights."

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/20672...eree-tributes/
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think he's the best ring official I've seen. Absolute compliment to the sport and consummate professional and called it down the middle and for the most part remained above the "where's the camera" and intrusive nonsense we see at times in referees today. With refs, the idea is that an invisible ref is a good ref. Enforce the rules but don't become the story. But Lane was the rarity that when you saw he was the third man in the ring you actually wanted to 'see' it. You knew there would be no horse shat and if there was, he would shut it down. Maybe with the exception of the time he went part wwe on Hopkins falling out of the ring . Just a great great fixture in the sport and may he be at complete peace now.

Mentioned
    937 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

He was great. Not many could achieve what he could with just a look that said 'We are not buying any of that bs here tonight son'. Maybe it's a generational thing, but there don't seem to be many left with that kind of gravitas.
    Hidden Content

"I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it."

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by ykdadamaja View Post
    Sad thing was I thought he was already dead. Like passed away some 20 years ago?! Wow... RIP to Lane.
    A few people think that because he had a stroke like 20 years ago think and was left unable to speak and i think, largely incapacitated. Still managed to hang on for 20 years. Little guy that automatically commanded respect from giants. I hear Bernard Hopkins is afraid to attend the funeral.

https://youtu.be/6Ml5LkK_FmQ?t=1520

RIP Mr. Lane. Best to ever do it.
    They want your @$$ beat because upsets make news. News brings about excitement, excitement brings about ratings. The objective is to bring you up to the tower and tear your @$$ down. And if you don't believe that, you're crazy.

Roy Jones, Jr. "What I've Learned," Esquire 2003

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Mills Lane was a professional quality referee and he expected fights to be fought professionally. The last of his kind.
    Boxing now is an amateur game. The best fighters are only good amateurs and the referees act like they are over seeing amateur fights.

Thread Information