Thread: NFL player Damar Hamlin collapses during game; suffers cardiac arrest

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: NFL player Damar Hamlin collapses during game; suffers cardiac arrest

Quote Originally Posted by TitoFan View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TIC View Post
    the hit he took was nothing, would the league allow him on the field again? do nfl players get insured? would an insurance company touch him, if they do? off topic, do you think this incident has increased interest & eyes on this part of the season?

Good questions all.

Would the NFL allow Damar back on the field again? I venture to say yes, as long as he passed a rigorous battery of physical tests. Could be wrong, though... and that bridge has yet to be crossed. First though... Hamlin would have to want to get back on the field. That... IMO... is not a given.

Are NFL players insured? Yes. It's similar in form to the insurance plans offered by other employers. I'm pretty sure the NFLPA (NFL Players Association) has a huge hand in what goes into that insurance plan. I'm not sure how Damar's insurance would be affected going forward if he were to resume his playing career. We all know insurance companies' #1 priority is always their bottom line.

Your last question is very interesting. Yes... I'm of the opinion that interest in the playoffs has probably been magnified, stemming from the Damar incident. Hard to imagine... 'cause interest in the NFL playoffs are usually HUGE to begin with. So this added wrinkle (and the fact that the Bills are firmly still in the playoffs) is sure to have attracted the attention from people who wouldn't otherwise follow football.

I'm sure a lot of neutral football fans (no team preference) are now rooting for the Bills to win the Super Bowl this year. As I said before... it's not at all far-fetched, as they have one of the more complete teams in the NFL.
    i also think the nfl would let him play again if it brings in money. i remember hearing terry norris say that he had been cleared to fight even though he had brain issues. the blow back if anything went wrong with him though could be a risk they may not want to take. i'm sure damar must have made a enough to live on? & maybe his insurance pays him out something as well. i'm sure they could keep him in the sport somehow without playing, commentating or something. i take myself for example, someone who has never paid much attention to the nfl apart from madden games & highlights, i'm interested to see if my prediction on the bills winning the super bowl comes to fruition. i'm sure there are many others. thanks for the information
    Last edited by TIC; 01-15-2023 at 04:38 AM.
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: NFL player Damar Hamlin collapses during game; suffers cardiac arrest

Quote Originally Posted by palmerq View Post
    I do wonder if he'll play again, Eriksen was pretty much dead on the field v Finland, got the AED and CPR on screen :S, he woke up and was speaking pretty much straight away, obviously went to the hospital and stayed there for a bit. He was give some form of pacemaker and then he was back playing normal football not long after.. wasn't allowed to play in the Italian league due to their rules but he moved to England and seems fine :S.. Daley blind also has the same device and is now playing for bayern..

Hamlin was on a ventilator though, sounds like his episode was worse than the two heart attack footballers, I'd guess he'll be able to play again but I think the NFL will block him from returning, they're in enough trouble with concussion if Hamlin drops dead that would damage their brand a lot(and that is what matters to these guys)

Also I'm supporting the Jaguars now, or as Austin Powers might call them..
    The SHAGUARS BABY....groovy?
    did these guys you mention have any family history of health issues or prior health conditions? i think titofan mentioned one of them did. has any information been released about damar's family health history or prior conditions? the guys you mention are soccer players right? i have seen some big hits in soccer but in my opinion the nfl is a much more physical contact sport. do we have any comparisons with heart issues for players from a bump in a tackle in the nfl, rugby, league, afl?
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/b...ic-upset/live/

"Bills vs. Dolphins score, takeaways: Buffalo overcomes costly mistakes, survives Miami's bid at historic upset"

Buffalo squeaked by the Dolphins. They're gonna have to play better from here on out if they want a chance to get to and win the Super Bowl.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

As for Damar...

https://www.tmz.com/2023/01/15/damar...wins-dolphins/

"DAMAR HAMLIN
    CHEERS ON BUFFALO BILLS FROM HOME ...
    Team Secures Another W!!!"

Damar's doing much better. But apparently felt it was better to watch this one from home.

Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The Dallas Cowboys kicker has missed four out of four Extra points... possibly named ray Finkle jr?.. they're still winning 24-0 :S

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The Dallas Cowboys kicker has missed four out of four Extra points... possibly named ray Finkle jr?.. they're still winning 24-0 :S
    Haven't rooted this hard for the Cowgirls since I was a kid. Frankly tired of looking at Brady . He's looking pretty worn here, but if this goes sideways for Dallas that kicker will be tapped to the Goal post overnight.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Haha down he goes . Ok I'm done.

Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

He's only 21 points down with two minutes left and Brady has the Ball, the comeback is on... Geezer strechered off with a neck injury.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Well it's over. Brady and the Bucs were their usual INCONSISTENT selves on a night when the Cowboys were inspired. Luckily for me... Dallas goes to San Francisco next. 'Cause that's where it ends for them. (Not a Cowboy fan ).

As far as Brady, well... he's earned the right to do whatever he wants. I wish him luck whatever it is. If he does come back (kind of 50/50 for me)... I hope it's not with the Bucs. Maybe the 49ers depending on what their QB situation is.

For me the playoffs went as I thought. I figured the Vikings would fold like a lawn chair and they did. Gotta look out for those Giants now.

Also... I'm glad Aaron Rodgers didn't make it into the playoffs. He gets SO MUCH air time on ESPN (that "baaddd man"), you'd think he's got more than one lousy Super Bowl ring to his credit.

Can't even carry the GOAT's jock strap.

Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Eli Manning has two ! Twice as good as Rodgers!

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Eli Manning has two ! Twice as good as Rodgers!

Did some research on that.

So Brady's got 7 rings.
    Bradshaw and Montana have 4 each.
    Aikman's got 3.

Then there's a whopping EIGHT quarterbacks with 2 each (including Eli).

Did some MORE research.

Brady's playoff record is now 35 wins, 13 losses (73% win rate).
    Rodgers' playoff record is 12-10 (55% win rate).

Of the 12 QBs with two or more Super Bowl rings... only Peyton Manning has a lower win percentage (14-13, 52%) in the playoffs than Rodgers.
    And Peyton was twice the quarterback that Rodgers was/is.

ESPN and the rest of the sports media definitely have a man-crush on Aaron Rodgers.

Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Rodgers really has won less than you'd think going by the way they talk about him, I don't know enough about the NFL to make any big claims,(other than Eli is the superior manning... Peyton only won his second Superbowl because his defense carried him).. I guess Rodgers has just been very good in the regular season, Green bay have been one of the fairly consistent teams over the years too so he should be disappointed with only one Superbowl win.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2023/1...burrow-bengals

"There Will Be No Fairy Tale Ending for the Bills"

Wow... hell of a game. The Cincinnati Bengals went into SNOWY Buffalo... with Buffalo Bills safety Damar Hamlin watching at the stadium... and put an end to the Bills' storybook season.

Hats off to Joe Burrow and the rest of the Bengals. It was their first meeting with the Bills since that Monday night when Hamlin was carted off in an ambulance.

I guess the Hollywood script ends there.

Still... the Bills have nothing to be ashamed of. They won their division... and defeated the Miami Dolphins in the Wild Card weekend of the playoffs, before succumbing to the Bengals.

The Bengals have showed all season they're for real... and next week square off against the Kansas City Chiefs for the AFC championship and a berth in the Super Bowl.

Good stuff... and my best wishes to Damar for a continued full recovery.

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

i watched bits, the dream finish didn't happen. saw damar was allegedly there. did anyone get a shot of his face? that could have been anyone from what i saw. i'm starting to have more & more doubts about this event

Thread Information