Unlike many, I'm not exactly overjoyed at the thought of Fury vs Usyk. Part of it is Fury himself... and his ability to make any fight into an ugly affair (see Fury-Wlad). But another reason is the height disparity. Throughout my years of enjoying boxing, I've always thought of huge height differences as a minus. Was thinking of examples from the past that I could mention...

Any fight with Nikolai Valuev, for instance. I always considered Valuev as nothing more than a freak show. Had he been any good... he'd probably be considered an ATG when talking about heavyweights. I remember early Thomas Hearns. When he faced Pipino Cuevas, for instance. That was a 5-inch height difference and it looked even more than that. Cuevas got KTFOed in 2 rounds. Duran was even shorter than Cuevas at 5'-7". So there was a 6-inch difference between him and Hearns. He was KTFOed in the 2nd round also.

I'm sure there are plenty of other examples... but the point is these fights are not aesthetically pleasing to me. Sebastian Fundora is what... 6'-5"... for crying out loud? With an 80-inch reach?? And he's at super welter?? I mean, hell... if he can continue making the weight, that's fine I guess. But it makes for ugly, uneven looking fights. I know boxing is all about the weight... but for my personal preference, I like a little parity in height as well. Three... four inches... ok sure. But you get above 6-inch territory and it begins to look freakish.

The difference in height between Fury and Usyk is 6 inches.