Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    1670 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Joe Joyce v Zhang Zhilei 4/15

Joyce is the WBO Interim title holder and mandatory challenger for their full world championship belt, which is also held by Usyk. However, the WBA have ordered the Ukrainian heavyweight to defend their title first and then the IBF mandatory challenger Filip Hrgovic will also have a shot before Joyce.

"It is annoying," Joyce told Sky Sports. "It's really annoying that Dubois is ahead in the queue, and (Filip) Hrgovic as well. It's out of my control and unfortunate. But fortunate for Dubois to come off a devastating loss (to me) and then be before me in the selection for the (unified title shot). Only in boxing would this stuff happen.

"Nothing really surprises me. I'm just patient and I'll get my shot. If I just keep on beating these guys then I'll get the world title. I'm in a good position and it's exciting times. There are plenty of good fights out there."

Joyce has stopped his opponent in his last five fights but comes up against another Olympic Games silver medallist on Saturday in the form of Zhilei Zhang. The 39-year-old Chinese fighter is another big hitter with a record of 24-1 and 19 of his victories coming by way of knockout.

Joyce says the Copper Box bout is the biggest of his career and would prepare him for a fight against Tyson Fury later this year. He told BoxingScene.com: "Me and Tyson Fury would be a great British summer fight. That's why I'm fighting a southpaw now, because I'm getting prepared for one of these title fights, Usyk or Tyson Fury.

"I'm ready. With Fury, it's a massive fight. Everyone wants to see it. It's a great fight in the making. I'm at the top of the sport right now and all I need is to cement that title. I think a victory with Zhilei is just progressing my journey further."

The WBA ordered Dubois to take on Usyk after negotiations between the Ukrainian and Fury broke down last month. Triple D had surgery on a knee ligament injury after his win against Kevin Lerena in December and is expect to return to action in May or June.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/sport/boxi...9cefb6b&ei=310
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    1670 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Zhilei Zhang is planning a "perfectly timed" knockout punch to shatter Joe Joyce's fearsome reputation as he wants to avoid more scoring controversy this weekend.

The Chinese heavyweight reacted with disbelief after losing an IBF title final eliminator against Filip Hrgovic by unanimous decision in August, but 'Big Bang' Zhang can propel himself back into world title contention with an upset win over Joe Joyce in London on Saturday night.

Joyce has earned his status as the WBO mandatory challenger for the WBO belt held by unified champion Oleksandr Usyk with 15 wins, featuring 14 knockouts, but Zhang is far from intimidated by the British contender.

Has Anthony Joshua opened the door for Tyson Fury fight this year?Joe Joyce 'annoyed' Daniel Dubois gets Oleksandr Usyk firstJosh Taylor to fight Teofimo Lopez in June live on Sky Sports
    "To be the best you have to beat the best," Zhang told Sky Sports. "This is part of the dream to become world champion.

"I never run from a challenge when an opportunity presents itself."

Referring to Joyce's renowned durability, Zhang added: "I don't believe that a fighter's chin can be tough enough to handle a perfectly timed punch."

Zhang shrugged off any lingering concerns about harsh scorecards in Joyce's home country, despite the hotly disputed loss to Hrgovic on the undercard of Usyk's rematch win over Anthony Joshua.

"I don't worry about that. I talk with my fists.

"It makes no sense to worry about that.

"It's my job to convince the judges of a victory."

Joshua has announced that he does not plan to fight again until December following this month's points win over Jermaine Franklin, but Zhang still wants to force his way into the future plans of his former amateur rival, who defeated him on the way to claiming Olympic gold at London 2012.

"Yes, I still would love to fight AJ. But the ball is in his court," said Zhang.

Joyce: Zhang fight is 'risky' but leads to Usyk or Fury
    Ahead of Saturday's fight against Zhang, Joyce described his opponent as "risky" but hopes he can overcome the test and a win will lead to a heavyweight title fight against Usyk or Tyson Fury this year.

"It's a risky fight, but it's exciting," Joyce told Sky Sports.

"He's a big fella. But I'm a big fella. Two big fellas are going to collide and it's going to be a great fight.

"I could have waited around and have had an easier fight, but I thought, 'why not have a test and stay ready?'

"He's a top fighter... and this leads me on nicely to Usyk or Fury, which is what I'm hoping for - a big summer fight, potentially."

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/sport/boxi...5865e250&ei=11

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Zhang will be dangerous early
    Once Zhang starts tiring Joyce will take him out

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

joe weighed in at two fifty six, fifteen pounds lighter than his last fight zhang was one pound heavier than his last fight at two seventy eight
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

Mentioned
    1670 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Joe Joyce has come in lighter to show his speed and skill. This is going to be brutal viewing, hope the juggernaut puts on a great show.

Mentioned
    157 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

This is the most exciting matchup for ages, I cant wait to watch this fight as its just about 2 no nonsense big powerful sluggers throwing bombs.

I think Joyce wins in 10 rounds after taking some serious power shots.
    Remember reality is an illusion caused by a lack of alcohol .

Mentioned
    1670 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Bentley won his fight in 45 seconds.

Mentioned
    1670 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Kumar knocked down in the first round.

Mentioned
    1670 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Stopped in the second round by Noakes

Mentioned
    1670 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The new Mike Tyson, Moses is probably going the full 8 rounds.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Moses is only 18 . Looked sharp first few rounds and then got away from the body and settled for distance. Bradley nailed it .

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Time long overdue to move women's boxing to 3-minute rounds. This Wildheart gal getting in more than a few rights on Mayer.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Should Zhang make a surprise upset tonight what position would that put him in?

Mentioned
    1670 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Spicoli View Post
    Time long overdue to move women's boxing to 3-minute rounds. This Wildheart gal getting in more than a few rights on Mayer.
    Good effort from the late replacement Lucy Wildheart but Mikaela wins it.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Spicoli View Post

Serrano-Taylor was worthy of 3-minute rounds.

Thread Information