Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Joe Joyce v Zhang Zhilei 4/15

Quote Originally Posted by nuggetdotcom View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by X View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Primo Carnera View Post
    You should not be able to get anywhere near World level, just by having a head like a rock.

It’s been done before though; Chuck Wepner, Joe Bugner, Jake la Motta, George Chiuvalo and others?
    I resemble that remark about one of Britains (via Hungary) true world class heavyweights, ie Joe Bugner. He was born one month after me, and I followed him throughout his career, he could hardly be accused of taking punches due to lack of boxing nous, as 27 rounds with Ali and 12 with Frazier will prove.

And he did enough to beat Henry Cooper!!!!!!!!! A fight that caused ructions between me and my dad, we almost came to blows ourselves!

I met Joe many times (and Marlene!), lovely bloke, and his son Joe Jr. Also by coincidence met Jake LaMotta when I worked in New Joisey during the 80's, happy daze. Please forgive my ageing rambles.......
    Some people don’t get the respect they deserve. Bugner was never really given the credit or respect he merited, mainly because he beat the nation’s hero. “Our ‘Enery.”
    Joyce gets a hiding last night. People praising his courage , saying he “wasn’t quite right, there was something off.”
    Before the fight , people saying he was better than Joshua.
    But I guarantee if that was Joshua last night, he would be SLAUGHTERED!
    Different rules for different guys.
    Former Undisputed 4 belt Prediction champion. Still P4P and People’s Champion.

Mentioned
    1669 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Eddie Hearn has now advised Joyce to retire if he doesn't fight Zhang next, telling iFL TV: "If he doesn’t rematch Zhang, he should retire. The reality is, Joe Joyce has never boxed an elite heavyweight. Zhilei Zhang is not an elite heavyweight. Joe wasn’t good enough to deal with Zhilei Zhang. When you sell your attributes based on 'You can hit me as hard as you like, and I’ll keep coming.' That’s not the recipe for longevity in a career."

"He gets hit by absolutely everything. I would understand if he retired from boxing. He’s taken unbelievable punishment in sparring, in amateur tournaments and even in the professional code. The reality is Joe Joyce is not an elite heavyweight. If you can’t beat Zhang, you have absolutely no chance of winning a world heavyweight title."

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/sport/boxi...4d0a2a07&ei=15
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I guess Hearn doesn't share the notion being floated around here (pre-Zhang) that Joyce would mop up the floor with any of the "Big Three" any day of the week and twice on Sundays.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Rewatch on the massive screen. Easy to go overboard when we all get "surprised" but Zhang was the absolute picture of poise and confidence. For a massive man he has a natural and pointed but easy approach to him. He clowned Joyce with the variation on his left hand. Hearn basically shatting on and dismissing both is missing the big picture in the current stagnant division. Eddie gonna Eddie.

Mentioned
    1669 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Eddie just wants Joyce out of the way. Joe stopped Dubois and Parker which is impressive. Stylewise Joyce should not have a rematch with Zhang, he is too old and static to change and move his head.

Joyce should smash up Whyte and get back into the equation.

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    Eddie just wants Joyce out of the way. Joe stopped Dubois and Parker which is impressive. Stylewise Joyce should not have a rematch with Zhang, he is too old and static to change and move his head.

Quick question. So Joyce shouldn’t take the rematch because he’ll get beat up again, so he should beat up an “on the slide” Whyte to get in a ranking position he’s not truly deserving of.
    What should actually happen is that Whyte called out Joyce “if he won.” But he never won, so Whyte should call out Zhang.
    As for Joyce, back to the drawing board, especially if this Saudi tournament is a goer, and fight Yoka or Bakole or even dare I say, Dubois.
    Former Undisputed 4 belt Prediction champion. Still P4P and People’s Champion.

Mentioned
    1669 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Primo Carnera View Post

Quick question. So Joyce shouldn’t take the rematch because he’ll get beat up again, so he should beat up an “on the slide” Whyte to get in a ranking position he’s not truly deserving of.
    What should actually happen is that Whyte called out Joyce “if he won.” But he never won, so Whyte should call out Zhang.
    As for Joyce, back to the drawing board, especially if this Saudi tournament is a goer, and fight Yoka or Bakole or even dare I say, Dubois.
    Whyte has beaten Franklin so is on the rise again. Joyce needs to get back into position and a fight against Whyte is good domestically and for the rankings.

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

joe has activated the rematch close
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

Mentioned
    1669 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by TIC View Post
    I think it is a mistake but hope he can win to avenge his loss. Joyce may as well take the contest to China and make a real event of it.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by TIC View Post
    I think it is a mistake but hope he can win to avenge his loss. Joyce may as well take the contest to China and make a real event of it.
    All I heard today was "well if the eye hadn't gone bad he was on his way" and such . Like saying if Zhang was armless Joe would be fine. I just can't see making the adjustments early before Zhang starts sucking wind late, but credit to Joyce for the moxie. Would really not want this in China. Dubai is one thing but China nah.

Thread Information