Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  11
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Does Andy Ruiz have a chance against Deontay Wilder?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Does Andy Ruiz have a chance against Deontay Wilder?

Quote Originally Posted by J_Undisputed View Post
    Andy has the hand speed for a heavyweight to give Wilder problems put him on wobbly legs. He counters well in between punches which is something a lot of fighters overlook and don't have a talent for. This seems like a blessing especially with Wilder punching wide at times. Even if his timing is just a bit off, Andy's got a window of opportunity that provide him ample margin for error.

That being said he still has to face the dragon if he wants the golden fleece. He has to find a way in and set up shop in the pocket. There's a sweet spot where Andy can get max leverage on his punches and wilder and get far less on his, considering the 9 inch reach difference between the two. But first he has to get in and once hes in he has to keep punching to keep from being clinched and swallowed up.

Wilder on the other hand, needs to keep Ruiz honest. His footwork isn't the smoothest and his defense is porous because he so offense oriented. Fortunately for him the physics lean in his favor. Even a sweeping hook with a forearm/elbow scalping ruiz may be enough to put him down. He just needs to stiffen his jab if he doesn't want Ruiz to pick off and counter a flicking range finder. If it goes to deep water, Stamina could be a problem for both.

It's close to even with each on their game. I think its going to come down to who wants it more. Right now Wilder decision to come back signifies a desire to walk out on his own terms. I haven't seen Ruiz hungry since his snickers endorsement. I'll take a knife in the hands of tradesman over a toolbox at the disposal of a hobbyist when time and money are on the line. Edge to the Bomber.

Great analysis. LOL at the Snickers endorsement quip. Yeah... I agree that whoever is able to establish the distance most convenient for him should win the fight. A busy Ruiz up close would be a total nightmare for Wilder. One aspect of Wilder that has been tested as of late is his chin. It's not up to par with the best chins in the division... but he's shown he can take a shot. Ruiz at his best, however... punches in volume, which could be the key. But as everyone has said, the "X" factor is basically which version of Ruiz shows up. I'd like for Wilder to win, if only because I'd love to see a Wilder-AJ matchup, even if it's past its expiration date.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Does Andy Ruiz have a chance against Deontay Wilder?

Quote Originally Posted by TitoFan View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by J_Undisputed View Post
    Andy has the hand speed for a heavyweight to give Wilder problems put him on wobbly legs. He counters well in between punches which is something a lot of fighters overlook and don't have a talent for. This seems like a blessing especially with Wilder punching wide at times. Even if his timing is just a bit off, Andy's got a window of opportunity that provide him ample margin for error.

That being said he still has to face the dragon if he wants the golden fleece. He has to find a way in and set up shop in the pocket. There's a sweet spot where Andy can get max leverage on his punches and wilder and get far less on his, considering the 9 inch reach difference between the two. But first he has to get in and once hes in he has to keep punching to keep from being clinched and swallowed up.

Wilder on the other hand, needs to keep Ruiz honest. His footwork isn't the smoothest and his defense is porous because he so offense oriented. Fortunately for him the physics lean in his favor. Even a sweeping hook with a forearm/elbow scalping ruiz may be enough to put him down. He just needs to stiffen his jab if he doesn't want Ruiz to pick off and counter a flicking range finder. If it goes to deep water, Stamina could be a problem for both.

It's close to even with each on their game. I think its going to come down to who wants it more. Right now Wilder decision to come back signifies a desire to walk out on his own terms. I haven't seen Ruiz hungry since his snickers endorsement. I'll take a knife in the hands of tradesman over a toolbox at the disposal of a hobbyist when time and money are on the line. Edge to the Bomber.

Great analysis. LOL at the Snickers endorsement quip. Yeah... I agree that whoever is able to establish the distance most convenient for him should win the fight. A busy Ruiz up close would be a total nightmare for Wilder. One aspect of Wilder that has been tested as of late is his chin. It's not up to par with the best chins in the division... but he's shown he can take a shot. Ruiz at his best, however... punches in volume, which could be the key. But as everyone has said, the "X" factor is basically which version of Ruiz shows up. I'd like for Wilder to win, if only because I'd love to see a Wilder-AJ matchup, even if it's past its expiration date.

Thanks! I agree about the joshua fight. This is going to be a good indicator of how that fight will go. Like you said Ruiz punches in volume and Wilder can take a shot. Ruiz and Joshua both have a the same fatal flaw. They can punch themselves out many times before they can close the show if they get someone wobbled. That could amount to the type of target exposure that will leave Wilder leaning away from hooks and then licking his chops.
    They want your @$$ beat because upsets make news. News brings about excitement, excitement brings about ratings. The objective is to bring you up to the tower and tear your @$$ down. And if you don't believe that, you're crazy.

Roy Jones, Jr. "What I've Learned," Esquire 2003

Thread Information