Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Artur Beterbiev: All time & H2H

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    I like Andre Ward at super middleweight but he was not big enough to continue his career at light heavyweight. He was fortunate against Kovalev to win, sure Ward showed heart to comeback after the knock down and get the decision. Punching Beterbiev low would not work against him.

Ward retired early at the weight for a reason.
    Ward would’ve beaten Beterbiev 7 days a week and twice on Sundays. And I don’t know where you get that he wasn’t big enough to fight at LHW? He was a natural LHW that boiled down to SMW to give him the best chance of getting a World title before moving up.
    Ward’s only problem was outside the ring where he was probably arrogant enough to think that he was smarter than the sharks that exist and consequently fucked his career up relatively speaking.
    Bad decisions, bad contracts, stubbornness, all things that can be labelled at Ward, but could’ve been “the one”
    Former Undisputed 4 belt Prediction champion. Still P4P and People’s Champion.

Mentioned
    1669 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Primo Carnera View Post
    I like Andre Ward at super middleweight but he was not big enough to continue his career at light heavyweight. He was fortunate against Kovalev to win, sure Ward showed heart to comeback after the knock down and get the decision. Punching Beterbiev low would not work against him.

Ward retired early at the weight for a reason.
    Ward would’ve beaten Beterbiev 7 days a week and twice on Sundays. And I don’t know where you get that he wasn’t big enough to fight at LHW? He was a natural LHW that boiled down to SMW to give him the best chance of getting a World title before moving up.
    Ward’s only problem was outside the ring where he was probably arrogant enough to think that he was smarter than the sharks that exist and consequently fucked his career up relatively speaking.
    Bad decisions, bad contracts, stubbornness, all things that can be labelled at Ward, but could’ve been “the one”
    Ward really struggled with a prime Kov so he would struggle with Beterbiev who I would argue was better. If he was a natural light heavyweight then he did not have the power to deter Beterbiev.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Ward had a tough time for about six rounds v kovalev then worked it out and then pretty much owned him for the next 14 rounds and broke him, he did beat kovalev twice remember, well once really...

Mentioned
    1669 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by palmerq View Post
    Ward had a tough time for about six rounds v kovalev then worked it out and then pretty much owned him for the next 14 rounds and broke him, he did beat kovalev twice remember, well once really...
    The first fight was a close controversial decision and Ward was losing the 2nd fight before he punched Kov in the balls. He should have been disqualified.

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

i had andre losing the first by a point & behind by a point in the second before the fouls. andre had sergey hurt in that second fight but sergey should have been given time to recover from the low blows at the very least with a point taken from andre. andre was lucky not to be disqualified
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by TIC View Post
    i had andre losing the first by a point & behind by a point in the second before the fouls. andre had sergey hurt in that second fight but sergey should have been given time to recover from the low blows at the very least with a point taken from andre. andre was lucky not to be disqualified
    Oddly enough, exact same on the two fights from what I recall. Not sure about possible DQ. It's just weird thinking Ward going full 175 vs a peaked Beterbiev especially when other than Kovalev scratch and claw wins, his biggest 175 scalp was the terribly weight withered and drained down Dawson. I just always think of Ward at 175 as a bit inconclusive. Superb talent but he would get the physical inside fight of his life with Beterbiev.

Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Really, ward took the life and soul from kovalev in the second fight, totally broke him and kovalev wanted out and even though it was a punch to the balls kovalev clearly had had enough and he did just stop fighting when the ref stopped it.. kovalev won the first battle in my opinion but ward won the war, a third fight and ward would have dispelled any doubt.. kovalev was a total monster at this time too... Imagine a guys only claim to fame at 175 is beating kovalev in his prime!

Either way i rate pro kovalev above pro beterbiev, kovalev was a bit quicker and more mobile both were super destructive to be fair but I just see ward having a pretty easy time v beterbiev, he's a monster for sure but he's having a tough time v yards and was nearly cleaned out by Callum Johnson, this just isn't ward or rjj level.

Mentioned
    1669 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Beterbiev beat the undefeated Gvozdyk, who had beaten Adonis Stevenson who was a champion himself for a very long time, and unified the titles is better than what Ward did at the weight.
    Last edited by Master; 02-12-2023 at 10:54 AM.

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

NOBODY Tested Ward in his career! Not at SMW, not at LHW. when did you see Ward wobble? When did you see Ward even lose a round against someone of Yarde’s level ? (No disrespect to Yarde.)
    Ward NEVER EVER looked in danger of losing a fight for one second.

Mentioned
    1669 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

NOBODY Tested Ward in his career! Not at SMW, not at LHW. when did you see Ward wobble? When did you see Ward even lose a round against someone of Yarde’s level ? (No disrespect to Yarde.)
    Andre Ward had a bloodied nose after the first round against Kov just from the jab and the look on his face was "what the hell have I got myself into here". The second round he was knocked down from a crushing right hand and he thought "what am I doing on the floor here?".

Andre Ward got up and fought on pride alone and got himself back into the fight but he was certainly tested by Kov in both fights and was fortunate to win.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I felt the knock down lost him the 1st Kovalev fight
    I'm not sure what you mean by wobble, he took a big shot against Boone that put him down & the shot Kovalev landed on him in the 1st fight to drop him sounded like he got hit by a bat. Ward getting back up from those 2 shots showed his heart
    With respect to Yarde & Ward, Beterbiev is 38. Ward was done by 33
    I also felt Ward should have got some warnings in the 1st Kovalev fight for his dirty tactics. Can't blame Ward though if the ref ain't going to do anything

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Big J View Post
    I felt the knock down lost him the 1st Kovalev fight
    I'm not sure what you mean by wobble, he took a big shot against Boone that put him down & the shot Kovalev landed on him in the 1st fight to drop him sounded like he got hit by a bat. Ward getting back up from those 2 shots showed his heart
    With respect to Yarde & Ward, Beterbiev is 38. Ward was done by 33
    I also felt Ward should have got some warnings in the 1st Kovalev fight for his dirty tactics. Can't blame Ward though if the ref ain't going to do anything
    Peach of an uppercut too. Boone had Ward out on his feet and holding on for life to make the rounds end. Pretty sure Ward was wobbled in his 2nd or 3rd start too. Crazy thing is the same Boone dropped and hurt Kovalev also. losing a very controversial decision in their first fight. But in fairness so many 'top' guys get buzzed coming up and it tends to get overlooked as they've gone on to overcome bigger challenges. I mean Beterbiev was dropped by a Jeff Page but then goes on to be within 1 fight of full unification. Every time we hear a top star talked about as "never hurt never down" it's taken with a grain of salt and skepticism. Small struggle with fighter C or B does not always equate to the same with fighter A.
    Last edited by Spicoli; 02-12-2023 at 10:32 PM.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Beterbiev beat the undefeated Gvozdyk, who had beaten Adonis Stevenson who was a champion himself for a very long time, and unified the titles is better than what Ward did at the weight.
    And at the time the failure of Kovalev vs Stevenson getting made was an indicator of things to come. That was THE super fight fans wanted and the division needed, but no luck. I'll never forget Kovalev standing ring center post fight looking at Stevenson and calling him chicken shit in broken English and holding his middle finger up for Adonis

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Andre Ward had a bloodied nose after the first round against Kov just from the jab and the look on his face was "what the hell have I got myself into here". The second round he was knocked down from a crushing right hand and he thought "what am I doing on the floor here?".

Andre Ward got up and fought on pride alone and got himself back into the fight but he was certainly tested by Kov in both fights and was fortunate to win.
    I didn’t word my post particularly well, but I didn’t see the look on Ward’s face you saw! It was a flash knockdown and Ward was smiling at him. From then on in that fight and the second one, Ward gradually made the adjustments he had to make, he took over and he stole Kovalev’s soul.
    The low punch didn’t make any difference to how the second fight would’ve finished.
    And the Darnell Boone knockdown that others mentioned is ridiculous really. It was a 6 rounder with 2 guys swinging like a rusty gate.
    “Bloodied Nose!” Fucks sake man.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The knockdown against Kovalev was more than a flash knockdown. Just because Ward smiled doesn't mean he wasn't hurt. You're actually taking credit away from Ward for getting back up from that shot
    I'm with you that the low punches didn't make any difference to how the second fight would have finished
    Why is mentioning the Boone fight & knockdown ridiculous? You asked: When did you see Ward wobble? & When did you see Ward even lose a round against someone of Yarde’s level?
    I provided an example of when I saw Ward wobble, I saw Ward wobble back from the uppercut Boone landed as he fell
    It could be debated but I'd consider Boone & Yarde comparable in level, so I also saw Ward lose a round against someone of Yarde's level
    Dismissing the Boone fight because it was a 6 rounder is moving the goal posts from your original questions

Thread Information