1670 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Anthony Joshua v Jermaine Franklin April First

Quote Originally Posted by nuggetdotcom View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    Do not think Frank Bruno/Henry Cooper was on any undercard after they challenged for a world title.
    Boxrec supplements my fading memory.

Herbie Hide lost to Vitali, and then fought on the undercard of Robin Reid v Soon Botes for the wbf s/middle, took me about 5 minutes to find, sure there are others.
    You are not comparing AJ, Bruno or Copper to Herbie Hide with his minor WBO title are you?
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Do not think Frank Bruno/Henry Cooper was on any undercard after they challenged for a world title.

Herbie Hide lost to Vitali, and then fought on the undercard of Robin Reid v Soon Botes for the wbf s/middle, took me about 5 minutes to find, sure there are others.
    You are not comparing AJ, Bruno or Copper to Herbie Hide with his minor WBO title are you?
    Henry Cooper f40 l14
    AJ f24 l3
    Herbie f 49 l4

You work it out

Mentioned
    1670 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Henry Cooper f40 l14
    AJ f24 l3
    Herbie f 49 l4

You work it out
    Nothing to work out. Herbie Hide does not compare to Bruno, AJ and Cooper in terms of popularity regardless of his boxing record.

Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Herbie was no joke

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Henry Cooper f40 l14
    AJ f24 l3
    Herbie f 49 l4

You work it out
    Nothing to work out. Herbie Hide does not compare to Bruno, AJ and Cooper in terms of popularity regardless of his boxing record.
    Forgot Frank Brunos record f40 l5, Do the maths, Herbie had the better record.

With respect to undercard slots once beaten by a champ, Bruno was on John Mugabis undercard twice, once after Mike Tyson and once after Tim Witherspoon

Opinions are like arseholes, everybody's got one

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Henry Cooper f40 l14
    AJ f24 l3
    Herbie f 49 l4

You work it out

With respect to undercard slots once beaten by a champ, Bruno was on John Mugabis undercard twice, once after Mike Tyson and once after Tim Witherspoon

Sorry forgot to mention till I noticed the 'in terms of popularity' phrase, what has that got to do with it? Elvis is/was/is still the most popular man on the planet, but he can't box! Would you rate Hughy Fury in the top ten because he was on Love Island?

Mentioned
    1670 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I do not rate Tommy Fury but he is involved in a main event with Logan Paul in Saudi Arabia PPV. They are not good boxers but bring in the fans.

I do not see AJ being on any under card anytime soon.

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Henry Cooper f40 l14
    AJ f24 l3
    Herbie f 49 l4

You work it out

I know you’re using their records because it suits your argument, but you’ve given a perfect example of why you CANNOT tell who is best by comparing records.
    Herbie Hide - 49 fights - his first 19 fights were at “road sweeper” standard, his last 14 fights were at cruiserweight. He fought in 6 world title fights , fighting 3 past,present or future World champions.
    Anthony Joshua - fought 27 times , 12 of which were world title fights and fought 7 past, present or future World champions.
    Frank Bruno - fought 45 times , fighting 5 world title fights and fought 7 past , present or future World Champions.
    The standard of opposition that AJ & Bruno fought and beat is way about those on Herbie’s record.
    Former Undisputed 4 belt Prediction champion. Still P4P and People’s Champion.

Mentioned
    946 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Henry Cooper f40 l14
    AJ f24 l3
    Herbie f 49 l4

You work it out

Sorry forgot to mention till I noticed the 'in terms of popularity' phrase, what has that got to do with it? Elvis is/was/is still the most popular man on the planet, but he can't box! Would you rate Hughy Fury in the top ten because he was on Love Island?

Popularity is everything. It is prize fighting. Even at the very bottom of the rung the fighters who can sell tickets will get the opportunities. If you can't sell tickets and bring in a crowd, then you are not going anywhere. Often there are better fighters on the undercard, but it is the tickets sellers who will headline and bring in the punters to pay the promoters bills.
    Hidden Content

"I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it."

Mentioned
    1670 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

During the launch press conference for his fight with Franklin, ‘AJ’ was asked by boxing promoter Eddie Hearn what was motivating during this pivotal time in his career.

“Money,” Joshua said repeatedly before Hearn had even finished asking the question. “I like making money. Straight up. Like, this is a prizefighting sport.

“I’ve been broke. My family has been broke. I know what this s*** means and I do it because I’m good at it and I hustle hard.

“When it’s all said and done no-one will care about me no more. So, I’ve got to make the most of it while I’m here.”

According to Forbes, Joshua is already a very rich man and has amassed a £38 million fortune after becoming one of the biggest stars in boxing during his tens years as a professional.

https://talksport.com/sport/boxing/1...aine-franklin/

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I'm surprised at that figure thought joshua would be worth a lot more than that.

Money his driving factor? Don't quite get that
    Don't bully fat kids - they've got enough on their plate

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Mark TKO View Post
    I'm surprised at that figure thought joshua would be worth a lot more than that.

Money his driving factor? Don't quite get that
    That was exactly my first thought. this is it though , it’s how it’s written .
    “What somebody is worth” isn’t money in the bank.
    “He has amassed a £38m fortune” is closer to that ,earnings AFTER TAX etc.
    This is why there is always so much bollocks talked about people like Conor Macgregor for example. He’s worth a fortune because people pay to see him (fuck knows why??)
    But Dana White’s company used to take a massive commission off fighters, meaning that they were probably only “taking home” about 20% of the purse that gets banded around.
    Most of this wealth is just an illusion nowadays.
    Former Undisputed 4 belt Prediction champion. Still P4P and People’s Champion.

Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Primo Carnera View Post

Henry Cooper f40 l14
    AJ f24 l3
    Herbie f 49 l4

You work it out

I know you’re using their records because it suits your argument, but you’ve given a perfect example of why you CANNOT tell who is best by comparing records.
    Herbie Hide - 49 fights - his first 19 fights were at “road sweeper” standard, his last 14 fights were at cruiserweight. He fought in 6 world title fights , fighting 3 past,present or future World champions.
    Anthony Joshua - fought 27 times , 12 of which were world title fights and fought 7 past, present or future World champions.
    Frank Bruno - fought 45 times , fighting 5 world title fights and fought 7 past , present or future World Champions.
    The standard of opposition that AJ & Bruno fought and beat is way about those on Herbie’s record.
    I was a road sweeper in Jaywick along the coast in Essex and I fought Herbie in the early 90s for 60 quid. Was it worth it. Fuck it was he broke my cheekbone

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

some fights added to the card

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Just to be clear

When I made my original comments about AJ not being worth a bill topping slot after his recent performance(s) there followed the sensible, boxing related comments and comparisons with older fighters of my youth, the normal stuff of this site, who coulda woulda shoulda. Then the popularity angle entered the argument which I for one poo poo'd, this site is about boxing after all.

Then I looked at AJ's wikipedia pages.....................

The purse monies he has been getting are mindblowing, he is truly a product of the media age, take a good amateur, turn him pro then get the media boys to do their work and keep your fingers crossed, some may call it 'popularity', I would call it hype, but if it sells PPV then so what. I did notice a recent post about Connor Wassname and UFC, same principle but on a beer money scale by comparison. Boxing ability has absolutely fuck all to do with the price of eggs.

Having said all that I dont begrudge any fighter the money, I just wish it could be shared on the basis of ability and results, not hype.

I bet Audley Harrison is sick, if only he was 8 years younger!!!!
    Last edited by nuggetdotcom; 02-11-2023 at 01:28 AM.

Thread Information