59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Anthony Joshua v Jermaine Franklin April First

Quote Originally Posted by nuggetdotcom View Post
    Just to be clear

When I made my original comments about AJ not being worth a bill topping slot after his recent performance(s) there followed the sensible, boxing related comments and comparisons with older fighters of my youth, the normal stuff of this site, who coulda woulda shoulda. Then the popularity angle entered the argument which I for one poo poo'd, this site is about boxing after all.

Then I looked at AJ's wikipedia pages.....................

The purse monies he has been getting are mindblowing, he is truly a product of the media age, take a good amateur, turn him pro then get the media boys to do their work and keep your fingers crossed, some may call it 'popularity', I would call it hype, but if it sells PPV then so what. I did notice a recent post about Connor Wassname and UFC, same principle but on a beer money scale by comparison. Boxing ability has absolutely fuck all to do with the price of eggs.

Having said all that I dont begrudge any fighter the money, I just wish it could be shared on the basis of ability and results, not hype.

I bet Audley Harrison is sick, if only he was 8 years younger!!!!

Audley woulda raked it in.

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Just to be clear

When I made my original comments about AJ not being worth a bill topping slot after his recent performance(s) there followed the sensible, boxing related comments and comparisons with older fighters of my youth, the normal stuff of this site, who coulda woulda shoulda. Then the popularity angle entered the argument which I for one poo poo'd, this site is about boxing after all.

The purse monies he has been getting are mindblowing, he is truly a product of the media age, take a good amateur, turn him pro then get the media boys to do their work and keep your fingers crossed, some may call it 'popularity', I would call it hype, but if it sells PPV then so what. I did notice a recent post about Connor Wassname and UFC, same principle but on a beer money scale by comparison. Boxing ability has absolutely fuck all to do with the price of eggs.

Having said all that I dont begrudge any fighter the money, I just wish it could be shared on the basis of ability and results, not hype.

Agreed with every single part of the above post, and have been banging on about it forever.
    EXCEPT FOR THE LAST SENTENCE!
    Audley had his chance when he turned pro. He had every top promoter in the World after him and became a millionaire without having a pro fight. Unfortunately he was BBC’s last throw of the dice before Sky etc. Mopped up. Some people even believe that Audley was to blame for the end of World class Boxing on free to air TV.
    Audley basically:
    Made some bad decisions
    Wasn’t dedicated enough
    Wasn’t good enough
    Not exciting enough to sell out the “hype train”
    Boxing ability is one thing , but it has to be backed up by bottle and a chin.
    When you get found out, it’s over.
    Former Undisputed 4 belt Prediction champion. Still P4P and People’s Champion.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Primo Carnera View Post
    Just to be clear

Agreed with every single part of the above post, and have been banging on about it forever.
    Audley had his chance when he turned pro. He had every top promoter in the World after him and became a millionaire without having a pro fight. Unfortunately he was BBC’s last throw of the dice before Sky etc. Mopped up. Some people even believe that Audley was to blame for the end of World class Boxing on free to air TV.
    Audley basically:
    Made some bad decisions
    Wasn’t dedicated enough
    Wasn’t good enough

I didn't actually say Audley was any good, he just didn't have the same 'media managers' around him that AJ did 12 (not 8 as I said) years later.

Went with a group of local lads to see audley fight local (to us) lad Michael Sprott at Wembley, car got towed to the pound so we all ended up in a Wembley Indian, well lubricated, and asked the owner to book us a taxi home, we all had Sprott at 7/1 so were feeling no pain whatsoever.

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Just to be clear

Audley basically:
    Made some bad decisions
    Wasn’t dedicated enough
    Wasn’t good enough

I didn't actually say Audley was any good, he just didn't have the same 'media managers' around him that AJ did 12 (not 8 as I said) years later.

Went with a group of local lads to see audley fight local (to us) lad Michael Sprott at Wembley, car got towed to the pound so we all ended up in a Wembley Indian, well lubricated, and asked the owner to book us a taxi home, we all had Sprott at 7/1 so were feeling no pain whatsoever.
    No, but you alluded to the fact that Audley would’ve raked it in.
    But he had the same chances that AJ had. The difference is that you have to back up the hype with a bit of substance.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

some of these youtubers don't show much substance to back up the hype
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

Mentioned
    1669 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Joshua told the BBC : “Listen, I’m not perfect and it’s not the right thing to have done.

“I didn’t speak to Usyk but I spoke to Wladimir [Klitschko] and said give Usyk a pat on the shoulder and tell him well done and I apologise, that’s man-to-man.

“But it was just raw and it may not make sense to a lot of people, but it made a lot of sense to me.

“And it was just how much it means, to a degree.

“I thought I would feel like that at the end of my career – when it’s all said and done I’d just be like, ‘Wow, what a rollercoaster, I made it through the trenches.’

“But I feel getting so close to fighting for the undisputed title and getting that fight with [Tyson] Fury that people want so much it was like, ‘Yeah, I’m nearly there’. Then, bosh, I didn’t hear my name.

“And then there were certain things in the ring that were said, not excuses, but one was, ‘You’re big and strong.’

“Remember a lot of athletes from the African/Caribbean community are told that they’re ‘strong’ and I feel like it’s quite degrading because we don’t get mentioned about our talent and technique.

“I’m aware of that because I am a black fighter, so when he said I’m big and strong it was just like alarm bells going off.

“There’s loads of things that were triggering me at the time and it was just pure, raw, uncut emotion.”

https://talksport.com/sport/boxing/1...-rant-rematch/
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    Joshua told the BBC : “Listen, I’m not perfect and it’s not the right thing to have done.

“I didn’t speak to Usyk but I spoke to Wladimir [Klitschko] and said give Usyk a pat on the shoulder and tell him well done and I apologise, that’s man-to-man.

“But it was just raw and it may not make sense to a lot of people, but it made a lot of sense to me.

“I thought I would feel like that at the end of my career – when it’s all said and done I’d just be like, ‘Wow, what a rollercoaster, I made it through the trenches.’

“But I feel getting so close to fighting for the undisputed title and getting that fight with [Tyson] Fury that people want so much it was like, ‘Yeah, I’m nearly there’. Then, bosh, I didn’t hear my name.

“And then there were certain things in the ring that were said, not excuses, but one was, ‘You’re big and strong.’

“Remember a lot of athletes from the African/Caribbean community are told that they’re ‘strong’ and I feel like it’s quite degrading because we don’t get mentioned about our talent and technique.

“I’m aware of that because I am a black fighter, so when he said I’m big and strong it was just like alarm bells going off.

“There’s loads of things that were triggering me at the time and it was just pure, raw, uncut emotion.”

Now I have countlessly stuck up for AJ on here, but don’t start pulling the race card.
    I heard what he was saying to Usyk about “what makes you better than me?” That could be seen as racist. “One of your lot” and all that.
    Basically, he had a bit of a meltdown in the ring , he couldn’t work out why he didn’t have the answers, leave it like that.
    Don’t embarrass yourself further.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Just to be clear

Audley basically:
    Made some bad decisions
    Wasn’t dedicated enough
    Wasn’t good enough

But he had the same chances that AJ had. The difference is that you have to back up the hype with a bit of substance.
    I think you'll find nosavingbythebell said that, not me, the substance bit is surely the stuff of debate, and everyone's got an opinion.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think it's a good fight for Joshua coming off losses & working with another new trainer
    The question is does Joshua get any credit for winning?
    If Joshua struggles like Whyte did there'll be the usual calls for him to retire
    If he blows Franklin away they'll say he fought a nobody

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Just to be clear

Audley basically:
    Made some bad decisions
    Wasn’t dedicated enough
    Wasn’t good enough

I think you'll find nosavingbythebell said that, not me, the substance bit is surely the stuff of debate, and everyone's got an opinion.
    So what does Your comment “ I bet Audley Harrison is sick, if only he was 8 years younger!!!!” Imply?
    Brock just latched onto that like he does.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Just to be clear

Audley basically:
    Made some bad decisions
    Wasn’t dedicated enough
    Wasn’t good enough

So what does Your comment “ I bet Audley Harrison is sick, if only he was 8 years younger!!!!” Imply?
    Brock just latched onto that like he does.
    Sick that if he was 12 years younger, won an olympic title in 2012 he would have got the same media hype as AJ did, ie miles better than his attempt in 2000 and miles more lucrative than 100k per fight off the bloody BBC. I dont seem to have made that clear.

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Like I said, he had his there was plenty of hype around Audley, but the difference is that he never produced enough to back up the hype. And then it stops.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Like I said, he had his there was plenty of hype around Audley, but the difference is that he never produced enough to back up the hype. And then it stops.
    And MY point was nothing to do with the relative ABILITIES of two olympic champions, which are obviously debateable. I was pointing out the VAST difference in 'hype' money that 12 years generated, and that Audley must wish he was born 12 yrs later, is that clear?

If you want to pick a fight about comparing the two as boxers, go and find somebody who gives a fuck.

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

And MY point was nothing to do with the relative ABILITIES of two olympic champions, which are obviously debateable. I was pointing out the VAST difference in 'hype' money that 12 years generated, and that Audley must wish he was born 12 yrs later, is that clear?

If you want to pick a fight about comparing the two as boxers, go and find somebody who gives a fuck.
    Fucks sake, We’ll leave it there. Nobody was picking a fight. All I said was Joshua backed up the hype, that’s why it continued, Audley never.
    I never compared the 2 in any other way.
    The only one comparing ABILITIES, was somebody who tried to compare Herbie Hide with Bruno , Cooper and AJ by their records.
    Anyway, let’s not bother anymore. Agree to disagree.

Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post

"I'm the NEW BREED of Heavyweights, yo!"

Thread Information