Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    1670 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Anthony Joshua v Jermaine Franklin April 1st

The fight was only just sold out. It was a slow burner.

Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    1670 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Anthony Joshua hit the heaviest weight of his career on Friday, coming in 21lbs heavier than Jermaine Franklin ahead of the pair’s fight this weekend.

Joshua is looking to bounce back from two straight losses to Oleksandr Usyk as he boxes Franklin at London’s O2 Arena on Saturday night. And at Friday’s weigh-ins, “AJ” came in at 255.4lbs (18.2 stone) compared to the 234.1lbs (16.7 stone) of his American opponent.

Briton Joshua was 11lbs heavier than he was in his last fight, a decision defeat by Usyk in August. Meanwhile, Franklin was 23lbs lighter than he was in his most recent bout, a controversial points loss to Dillian Whyte in November.

“I’ve got my gameplan, I’ve got my mind right, and I’m just ready to go to war,” said Joshua, 33. “I know I’ve got the possibility of [a knockout win], 100 percent, but there’s a process to get there. I just follow that process.”

Franklin, 29, then said: “He’s probably bulked up a little bit, but we’re ready for whatever. We got a chin of steel, so I’m not worried too much about power; he’s still got to be able to touch me with it.”

Joshua’s promoter Eddie Hearn told Dazn shortly thereafter: “I’m the closest person to the head-to-heads, I’m seeing Jermaine Franklin looking at Anthony Joshua. I don’t care what anyone says, [Franklin] is thinking: ‘Look at the size of this guy.’ I mean he’s an absolute tank.”

Franklin was unbeaten until his majority-decision loss to Whyte, while Joshua’s back-to-back points losses to Usyk were the second and third defeats of his career.

Joshua previously suffered a shock TKO loss to Andy Ruiz Jr in June 2019, before outpointing the Mexican-American six months later.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/sport/boxi...f1c1118e&ei=11
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

fabio wardley gets a fourth round knockout. stoppage was a bit early
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I like wardley wearing all the Ipswich stuff, good work, wears the shirt in the interviews and has the badge on his shorts, looks like a real fan.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Couldn't bring myself to break anything off for Dazn again. Really mind-numbing AJ coming in a career high. Bulked and sulked. All the barbells in the world aren't going to repackage a lacking aggressive/offensive mindset. But sounds like he's looking for it and a short night.

Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think it's a bit early to be writing Joshua off, he's won by points twice, Parker didn't want to fight and he outpointed Ruiz coming off the ko loss where he attacked too much and got whacked... Sure he lost to usyk twice but usyk is a supreme boxer and just outclassed him, don't think Joshua's mentality had anything to do with it, the better guy beat him, I though AJ gave a good account v usyk.

Anyway maybe he is done but I'm not sure the evidence from his fights is there yet .. we'll see here and when he takes on whyte next.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Oh not writing him off. He showed well in rematch with Usyk. Ruiz though eh, did what he had to do. But imo could have done much more. Mentality has majority to do with any fighter, especially off back to back losses. It's pretty clear he feels the need for more aggression and 'clearing' the slate, talking about going to war and mind being right. It just seems he does struggle with finding a center balance between the two approaches.

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by palmerq View Post
    I think it's a bit early to be writing Joshua off, he's won by points twice, Parker didn't want to fight and he outpointed Ruiz coming off the ko loss where he attacked too much and got whacked... Sure he lost to usyk twice but usyk is a supreme boxer and just outclassed him, don't think Joshua's mentality had anything to do with it, the better guy beat him, I though AJ gave a good account v usyk.

Anyway maybe he is done but I'm not sure the evidence from his fights is there yet .. we'll see here and when he takes on whyte next.
    i agree with almost everything except that i think aj's mentality had a lot to do with the result in the first fight & by his outburst after the second i'd have to say it affected the result there as well but i agree the better guy beat him
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think the Ruiz performance in the rematch was quite deliberate though, it's not unusual for a boxer to be cautious and dominate and win on points in that sort of situation.. anyway not long left to find out how he's doing now, if he grinds out a dull win v franklin I'll have to agree that Joshua doesn't have it anymore.

Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Actually I'm now convinced by this montage, he's hitting a tree with an axe, his alarm goes off at 2am(not sure why) and he's in a bath holding his breath underwater :S... Much more impressive than rocky beating his frozen meat.

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Spicoli View Post
    It's pretty clear he feels the need for more aggression, talking about going to war and mind being right. It just seems he does struggle with finding a center balance between the two approaches.
    some of derrick james' guys thrive on the inside & aren't afraid to get touched, i hope derrick has help aj in this area

Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

These video packages aren't so bad but I think the Klitschkos had the best video entrances.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by palmerq View Post
    I think the Ruiz performance in the rematch was quite deliberate though, it's not unusual for a boxer to be cautious and dominate and win on points in that sort of situation.. anyway not long left to find out how he's doing now, if he grinds out a dull win v franklin I'll have to agree that Joshua doesn't have it anymore.
    Never said he was total and done . Styles make fights indeed, he wasn't beating Usyk though his best shot was when he had him in serious trouble 2nd fight. He just couldn't catch up and read Usyk properly in the moment. Love to see him find a center, capitalize on power at all levels, not just looking to blow a Franklin away. Doing that could run him into something silly. Keep it smart, but be that big big man.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by TIC View Post
    fabio wardley gets a fourth round knockout. stoppage was a bit early
    Just caught that definitely looked premature.

Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

It was the traditional foreigner in Britain stoppage:S.. don't think it changed much though

Thread Information