Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Lawrence Okolie v David Light 25/3/23

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

Titofan:

The fact is GGG has fought at 160 for his entire career. Post #87, 5th August 2022
    Hidden Content

Also Titofan:

GGG weighed 163 for the Rolls fight. Post #91, 6th August 2022

Hidden Content

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: lawrence okolie v david light march twenty fifth

Okolie has left Eddie and DAZN saying they were bullying him into taking fights he did not want.

Good to see him back and hopefully being active.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Cruiserweight world champion Lawrence Okolie will face New Zealander David Light on 25 March at the AO Arena in Manchester.

Okolie, 30, will defend his WBO title for the third time in his first fight since February 2022.

The Hackney fighter is unbeaten in 18 pro fights and competes for the first time under Boxxer's promotional banner after leaving Matchroom.

Light, 31, is the mandatory challenger to Okolie's WBO belt.

The Commonwealth silver medallist is unbeaten in 20 fights but has fought the majority of his pro career in New Zealand.

Heavyweight Frazer Clarke, Olympian Karriss Artingstall and light-welterweight Jack Catterall will feature on the undercard in Manchester.

Catterall is expected to compete in a tune-up bout after his world title fight against Josh Taylor in March fell through due to an injury to the Scot.

Unbeaten heavyweight prospect Clarke faces American Rydell Booker as he looks to improve his 5-0 record.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/boxing/64572826

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I'm biased but I think Light has a great chance to win this fight

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Lawrence Okolie v David Light 25/3/23

BRITISH cruiserweights Lawrence Okolie and Richard Riakphore almost came to blows at the Creed III premiere.

The pair were two of several big names to hit the red carpet at Cineworld Leicester Square on Wednesday night for the early screening of the Hollywood movie.

But they almost gave attendees a real fight to watch after clashing at the snack stand at the concourse.

A fired-up Riakphore twice lunged at the WBO cruiserweight champion as he was being held back by a mystery man.

Okolie, who was holding his jacket in one hand, managed to frame off the advancing Riakphore and create space.

Boxing pundit and podcaster Spencer Fearon ended up keeping the peace, holding Okolie back from his fellow Brit.

He shouted: "Stop, stop, stop! Stop this. Not here, man."

The pair's clash comes just under a week after the pair did a joint interview, in which they were both cordial when talking about the prospect of facing one another.

When pressed on the fight, Okolie told Sky Sports: "Don't say my name 'til you actually want to fight.

"It's as easy as this. I will fight that man any time. Any time.

"Then it's done. You've got a world champion who doesn't need to - Richard's not my mandatory.

"But, he's in my country saying he's the best? See you soon."

The pair's promoter, BOXXER's Ben Shalom, is open to making the fight later this year, telling talkSPORT: “[Riakporhe] is going to fight for a world title.

"He’s going to fight Lawrence Okolie in one of the biggest fights, not just in this country, but in the world cruiserweight division.

“They both want to move up to heavyweight. It’s a massive year.

"I think we’re going to watch Lawrence Okolie go and unify and win more world titles.

“I think we’re going to see Richard Riakporhe win his first world title and then I think we’re going to see them meet at the end of the year.”

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/21404...reed-premiere/

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Okolie needs to worry about Light

Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

He better not take the commonwealth silver medalist....lightly.......

Commonwealth boxing medals are pretty good to be fair. Obviously Olympics is better but the Commonwealth boxing is a good standard.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

LAWRENCE OKOLIE will defend his WBO cruiserweight title against David Light at the AO Arena in Manchester.

The Sauce most recently defended his title against Michal Cieslak back in February 2022.

The Hackney-born boxer defeated Cieslak by unanimous decision.

This will be the third time Okolie will be defending his WBO cruiserweight belt.

David Light will be a tough test for the current champion, as the 31-year-old is currently undefeated with an impressive 20-0-0 record.

Lawrence Okolie vs David Light will take place on Saturday, March 25.

The ring walks for the main event are expected to begin at approximately 10pm UK time.

AO Arena in Manchester will be the venue.

Main event: Lawrence Okolie vs David Light
    Frazer Clarke vs Rydell Booker
    Karriss Artingstall vs Linzi Buczynskyj
    Michael Gomez Jnr vs Levi Giles
    Rhys Edwards vs Brian Phillips

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/21624...ndercard-odds/

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Lawrence Okolie has promised to teach ‘delusional’ David Light a lesson — after lessons of his own from Tyson Fury.

The 30-year-old WBO cruiserweight champion sparred with WBC heavyweight champion Fury as recently as Friday. And he can’t wait to try to lure Light into the same kind of traps the Gypsy King sets for his opponents. Okolie said: “I did a little move-around with Tyson on Friday, nothing that crazy, just a little body spar. But it’s good to see with one of the biggest heavyweights what that is like. With Tyson, it’s very much like he’s constantly thinking. He knows how to use his height, reach and weight all in different parts of the ring.

"I won’t go into the intricacies but you can feel it and he’s good enough to talk me through what he is doing. It’s like he says, ‘I’ve got you here’, and I’m thinking, ‘Oh, this doesn’t feel nice. Okay, I’m going to try that’. He’s very technically sound. I’m not talking about throwing a one-two correctly, it’s about tactically and positionally in terms of actually winning a boxing match, he has all these skills and they show.”

Okolie takes on Kiwi challenger Light on Boxxer’s show in Manchester on Saturday. He added: “He’s 20-0 so he’ll obviously be coming with that confidence and belief. But it’s almost delusion, actually, from him and his camp, some of the stuff they have been saying. That lets me know their mindset and sometimes deluded people can cause problems because they don’t understand how things are supposed to go, so you have to teach them. He’s a grown man and he has been boxing for a long time, but they say stuff that to me sounds so stupid, like ‘No one has tried [this or that against Okolie]’.

“It’s like, people have tried before him knowing this is their world title shot. For the last four years plus every fight has meant something to the other person as well as me, they’ve come to win because they know it could be life changing. But then when they come and stand in front of me they realise it’s not their time, so I have to teach David it’s not his.”

Okolie wants two or three fights this year and wants to add to his belt collection before making his long-planned jump up to heavyweight. He said: “I would really like to unify the cruiserweight division before I step up but it really depends on Friday where I am with the weight. Once I have made the weight for this fight I will let people know. If I feel anything other than amazing on Saturday it will be time to move on, but I don’t envision that being the case with this fight. As soon as it becomes too much of a drag, if I have to diet for too long or I have to sweat it out for too long, it’s boring, I don’t like that side of boxing, I like the fighting so I’ll move on.”

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/sport/boxi...9c0cc732&ei=43

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I guess I'm the only one here giving Light a chance?

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Big J View Post
    I guess I'm the only one here giving Light a chance?
    No harm in predicting your own boy. We all do it and sometimes it comes off which gives you a great feeling.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The unbeaten New Zealander is adamant he can upset Okolie this weekend.

"I'm coming to win. I know he's a proud man and he's going to defend with everything he's got," he continued. "I'm not reinventing the wheel.

"You've got to punch the other person more than they punch you. I've done the work."

It's the work that Okolie is looking forward to.

"He's coming to win," the champion said of his challenger. "It sets you up for a lot of openings."

But he cautioned: "You don't get to this position overlooking people ever.

"It's a nice safe place to hide behind being the underdog," Okolie continued. "When I see him I know what he really is. I'm prepared for what he may bring and will do what I need to do.

"I am going to be from round one matching him and overmatching him for pressure and power.

"Saturday's going to come. One of us is going to win and the other one's going to become irrelevant.

"So I'm looking for to it."

On the undercard Michael Gomez Jr, the son of hugely popular local fighter Michael Gomez, will fight Levi Giles for the English super-featherweight title.

But as soon as they came face to face on Thursday Gomez Jr sounded raring to get started early.

"I'll punch you up now," Gomez told Giles directly.

"I don't know anything about him," he added with equal belligerence. "Saturday night we'll find out who he is."

Giles remained calm as he faced his opponent. "I do my talking in the ring," he said levelly. "It's a good test for me, see where I'm at.

"We know what he brings. Forward, one dimensional," he added. "We know what he's going to bring and we know how to deal with it."

Gomez shrugged that off. His tactics, he promised, would be more simple. "I'm just going to punch his face in," he said. "I'm just going to go in there, stick it on him and see how good he is."

Olympic bronze medallist Karriss Artingstall was perfectly confident as she went head to head with her opponent Linzi Buczynskyj.

"Her throwing her shots is going to leave more openings for me so I'm going to find my shots as well," Artingstall warned.

"I just wanted the opportunity to show everyone on a big stage what I can actually do," Buczynskyj insisted. "I'm not scared to take any fight. I'll fight anyone at anytime at any stage.

"I have got the experience," she added. "She's the one that's got everything to prove."

But Artingstall promised: "I am a level above you, two levels if anything and I'll show that on Saturday."

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/sport/boxi...b5df2291&ei=84

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Kell Brook being interviewed, Sky hyping him up to fight again.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Levi Giles outboxing Gomez easily at the moment.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Gomez wins the fight by close decision.

Thread Information