Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Canelo v Ryder 6/5/23

fighting in mexico v john ryder
    Last edited by TIC; 03-15-2023 at 08:43 PM.
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

Titofan:

The fact is GGG has fought at 160 for his entire career. Post #87, 5th August 2022
    Hidden Content

Also Titofan:

GGG weighed 163 for the Rolls fight. Post #91, 6th August 2022

Hidden Content

Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: canelo returns may sixth

julio el rey cezar martinez v mcwilliams arroyo is said to be in the works for this card. this must be the sixth attempt to make the rematch
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

Titofan:

The fact is GGG has fought at 160 for his entire career. Post #87, 5th August 2022
    Hidden Content

Also Titofan:

Hidden Content

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Saul 'Canelo' Alvarez will defend his undisputed super-middleweight titles against British contender John Ryder in Mexico on May 6.

The Mexican star returns against Ryder, with the WBC, IBF, WBA and WBO belts on the line at Akron Stadium in Guadalajara.

Canelo defeated bitter rival Gennadiy Golovkin on points in their trilogy battle in Las Vegas in September, marking his move back to 168lbs after a surprise points defeat to Dmitry Bivol in their WBA light-heavyweight title fight last May.

Ryder is hoping to pull off a sensational upset after a five-fight winning streak propelled him into title contention, including wins over Daniel Jacobs and Zach Parker.

"I feel really happy to be coming back in May because following my surgery, I was unsure of when I'd be coming back," said Canelo, who underwent surgery on his left hand at the end of last year.

"Returning to the ring and coming back to fight in Jalisco, where I'm from, makes me especially happy. And in John Ryder, I'm facing a very competitive fighter."

"There's no denying that Canelo is one of the greats and I've got a lot of respect for what he's achieved in the sport but I fully believe this is my time fulfil my dream of becoming a world champion," said Ryder.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/sport/boxi...216c0604&ei=32
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Liam Smith
    Rocky Fielding
    Callum Smith
    Billy Joe Saunders

and now...

John Ryder

No wonder British fans consider Ginger a superstar.

In that whole group, only BJS was fighting with any "cojones" (or had anything to offer), until "Clenelo" busted his orbital bone with one punch.

Bring on the British guys... but no Mexicans please (ahem... David Benavidez). "I don't do Mexicans."

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I always liked John Ryder, but he was a small MW, so against a meathead like Canelo at SMW , he’s fucked.
    Most people point to his “robbery” by Callum Smith. But he LOST! And we saw what happened to Smith against Canelo.
    I would love to see Ryder win, but I really can’t see it, and I believe there are probably better opponents for a man of Canelo’s standing.
    But I suppose I’m glad to see Ryder get the payday.
    Former Undisputed 4 belt Prediction champion. Still P4P and People’s Champion.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Standard issue for Canelo after wrapping up the long mothballed Golovkin rematch. He'll get the opportunity to do the load up in front of a guy without having a 4,5 piece rattling off his forehead in return ala Bivol. Ryder seems like a decent fella and hard and realistic enough to read the reality in this one. But he'll maximize what he has, and Canelo will shine in return. Weird in that he's lost to 3 of the guys Canelo grabbed straps from, save for Jacobs which was fair enough and could have gone either way. Probably miss it with absurd ppv tag strapped to it. Even though Dazn brought an end to those troublesome ppvs .

Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Damn dazn and their PPVs I don't even see anywhere to rewatch the couple I bought.. rubbish.. fite you lets you rewatch them, dazn only saves you 5$ too and then your still paying near 30 quids a month.. probably use fire tv in the future if they still have access to PPVs I want to support.

Bit of an interesting match up at best Alvarez will get a fairly impressive looking stoppage, hopefully not like against yldirim though..

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Let's do a quick recap on Ginger's last 15 opponents (including Ryder), covering the last 7 years... shall we?

Khan (2016) - Nothing more need be said. The glass-chinned toy poodle dancing around the mastiff until he got in range.

Liam Smith (2016) - The first in a parade of British pushovers that have contributed as much to Ginger's (cough)... "legacy" as any group.

JCC Jr. (2017) - Prior to that he couldn't go up to 160 to challenge a peak Golovkin... but he somehow saw fit to jump to 164 to fight The Mummy in what was basically a circus match.

Golovkin x2 (2017, 2018 ) - After enough (cough)... "marinating", Ginger finally yielded to public pressure and had his 1st two fights vs GGG. Robbed of a victory in the 1st... could've lost the 2nd one also.

Fielding (2018 ) - Do I really have to discuss this one? One of Ginger's most blatant "cherry picks"... jumping to the next weight to pick off his 2nd British victim... lame duck Fielding... for a shiny new trinket.

Jacobs (2019) - ATTENTION GINGER GROUPIES: This is where your "hater" cries go down in flames. Full credit to Ginger on this one. No size advantage... no robbery... legitimate victory. Like finding a rare jewel in the mud.

Kovalev (2019) - "Groupies' Finest Hour." Unfortunately... the rest of us saw a shell of the previous bully, who had been previously unmasked and exposed by that most fearsome of punchers... Andre Ward. Kov's most shameful performance EVER.

Callum Smith (2020) - 3rd British victim. And the second fighter in a row (see: Kov) to PERPLEXINGLY become a timid deer in headlights... happy to survive and hand Ginger a victory. Size advantage be damned.

Yildirim (2021) - Can we just skip over this one?

Saunders (2021) - FINALLY! A British opponent for Ginger exhibiting cojones. He had a chance... until Ginger mustered up enough power to break his eye socket with one punch. Must've had a 2nd helping of Mexican beef before the fight.

Plant (2021) - Man... Caleb did all he could. But he was outgunned, outsized, out-everything from the very beginning. He had lost the fight when he signed the contract.

Ahhhhh... Bivol (2022) - Finally Ginger and his LBT (Legacy Building Team) slipped up and got careless. They figured Bivol was the lesser of two evils at 175. And buoyed by the Kovalev sham... er... success years earlier... decided to go for it. No diva clauses... no rehydration limits. Even after a THOROUGH BEATING at the hands of Bivol... Ginger almost got HIS judges to give him the decision. Those judges are probably STILL crying to this day.

Golovkin (2022) - What better than to go back to the tried and true? A 40-year old man... totally BOUGHT judges... size advantage (GGG stupidly went up to 168 for the first time ever). This was a DONE DEAL.

Ryder (2023) - Gee... I wonder who's going to win?

Let the counterarguments begin.
    Last edited by TitoFan; 03-15-2023 at 03:26 PM.

Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Titofan:

Hidden Content

Also Titofan:

Hidden Content

Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

possible undercard
    rey martínez v mcwilliams arroyo
    oleksandr gvozdyk v tba
    gabriel gollaz valenzuela v steve spark
    nathan rodríguez v tba

Titofan:

Hidden Content

Also Titofan:

Hidden Content

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by TIC View Post
    Did they get behind this one? Just an odd direction.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The 34-year-old Londoner will meet superstar Canelo, two years his junior, at the Akron Stadium, Guadalajara in his native state of Jalisco on May 6 in the biggest fight of his 12-year career to date.

Ryder, the World Boxing Organisation's mandatory challenger after claiming the interim title in his last fight when Zach Parker retired after four rounds in November, is relishing the opportunity to go toe-to-toe with a four-weight world champion.

He said: "There's no denying that Canelo is one of the greats and I've got a lot of respect for what he's achieved in the sport, but I fully believe this is my time fulfil my dream of becoming a world champion. "I'm not going over there for a holiday. For me, this is purely business and my full focus is on going into his backyard in Guadalajara on May 6 and bringing those belts back with me to the UK."

Canelo, who will fight in Mexico for the first time in 11 and a half years, will be defending his undisputed crown for the second time after beating bitter rival Gennady Golovkin in their trilogy battle in Las Vegas in September. The Mexican, who has lost just twice in 62 bouts and successful defended his WBC middleweight title against Amir Khan in 2016 with a brutal stoppage, is returning to action after undergoing wrist surgery in November.

He said: "I feel really happy to be coming back in May because, following my surgery, I was unsure of when I'd be coming back. "Returning to the ring and coming back to fight in Jalisco, where I'm from, makes me especially happy. And in John Ryder, I'm facing a very competitive fighter."

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/sport/boxi...e3bd16f5&ei=96

Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Spicoli View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TIC View Post
    Did they get behind this one? Just an odd direction.
    it's just a meme

Titofan:

Hidden Content

Also Titofan:

Hidden Content

Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Titofan:

Hidden Content

Also Titofan:

Hidden Content

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Eddie Hearn and Oscar De La Hoya have exchanged insults in a spat over Canelo Alvarez’s next fight.

The Mexican boxing superstar will return home to defend his undisputed WBA, WBC, IBF & WBO super-middleweight world titles against John Ryder in Jalisco on May 6.

Canelo was promoted by De La Hoya up until 2020, when he split with Golden Boy and became a free agent.

For a lot of his free agency, he has been signing one/two-fight deals to work with Hearn, who will be staging the Ryder bout.

When asked about Canelo’s next match-up, De La Hoya told Fight Hub: “It seems like he’s regressing inside the ring, he’s regressing in terms of opponents.

“He’s fighting all these British fighters and it does nothing to his legacy

“I don’t know whose fault that is, I don’t want to mention anything…

“He has to step up and fight tough opposition, the tough guys, the guys who are out there who can give him a fight. It’s not the John Ryders of this world.”

In response, Hearn told Fight Hub: “John Ryder’s earned his shot, he beat Danny Jacobs, he beat Zach Parker.

“I did see Oscar say, ‘You’ve gotta fight bigger fights.’ His last three fights have been Caleb Plant, Dmitry Bivol and Gennady Golovkin.

“Sometimes people actually refuse to acknowledge the facts…

“Oscar De La Hoya said, ‘They’re stupid taking that [Bivol] fight, that’s such a tough fight, they’re idiots,’ but all of a sudden he’s taking easy fights?

“Oscar will say whatever suits him. I don’t think half the time he knows what he’s saying.

“But he will never speak honestly about Canelo Alvarez because at the end of the day, Canelo Alvarez left Golden Boy and he’s never been able to accept that.

“I think he needs to look at some of his own matchmaking. Particularly Gilberto Ramirez this weekend and particularly Jaime Munguia, which has been absolutely horrific and embarrassing…

“If you want to look at Canelo’s résumé and criticise, you’re a complete idiot.

Upon seeing some of these quotes, De La Hoya fired back on social media.

He tweeted: “Oh God. Again??

“Eddie Hearn stop attempting to poach another one of my world champions in Jaime Munguia. Why is it impossible for you to build your own?

“To quote Roger Mayweather, ‘You don’t know s*** about boxing.'”

https://talksport.com/sport/boxing/1...vs-john-ryder/

Thread Information