Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Sebastian Fundora v Brian Mendoza April 8th Showtime

big knockout from brian in the seventh
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

That was absolutely fuckin epic

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Spicoli View Post

Even better... the hyena finally SHUT the FUKK up!!!

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Jim Gray is such a crappy interviewer.

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Will have to watch this properly, but Back to the drawing board for Fundora by the looks of it.
    Former Undisputed 4 belt Prediction champion. Still P4P and People’s Champion.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Having the night to digest it... it WAS fuckin epic.

I very much dislike fights with such a height difference. It's like a freak show. But think about it. Mendoza kept plugging away and plugging away. At first Fundora was doing little with his power hand (the left). But at some point he loosened up and I've got to admit... Fundora is pretty good on the inside fighting for someone with such a ridiculous height and reach advantage. Mendoza was looking the worse for the wear... and at one point it looked like maybe a late round stoppage if the fight would've kept on like that. I think the judges had Fundora winning every round up to that point, which IMO is a bit harsh, because I think Mendoza has sneaked a round or two in there. Admittedly, I was losing interest in the fight, and saw the result as inevitable. There was nothing Mendoza could do to stem the tide.

But like Mendoza himself said after the fight... he never gave up and just kept plugging away. In the seventh round, I think it was... BOOM. A left hook out of nowhere. I think Fundora's legs caused him the fight, because they kept him upright. Just long enough for Mendoza to come back in and finish the job. No way was Fundora getting up from that devastating left hook, and then the one-two flush on the face before he went down.

In a way it was "Mike Weaver-John Tate -ish". All is lost until one big punch and then... TIMBERRRR!!

Hearing Fundora speak after the fight... he's a likable kid and all. I just think he needs to eat a few more cheeseburgers, and get on up to a division that better suits his height and reach.

Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

That is why you don't throw jab(ish) type punches in close, especially if you are going to drop the jabbing hand. Mendoza threw a hook as the tall guy was throwing the left uppercut- after he pawed with his right- so the tall guy was turning into the hook.
    That's how you beat a southpaw- every time he throws a left you throw your left.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Night of upsets
    Mendoza didn't even need that final right
    Wonderfully nasty stuff

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by TitoFan View Post

Having the night to digest it... it WAS fuckin epic.

I very much dislike fights with such a height difference. It's like a freak show. But think about it. Mendoza kept plugging away and plugging away. At first Fundora was doing little with his power hand (the left). But at some point he loosened up and I've got to admit... Fundora is pretty good on the inside fighting for someone with such a ridiculous height and reach advantage. Mendoza was looking the worse for the wear... and at one point it looked like maybe a late round stoppage if the fight would've kept on like that. I think the judges had Fundora winning every round up to that point, which IMO is a bit harsh, because I think Mendoza has sneaked a round or two in there. Admittedly, I was losing interest in the fight, and saw the result as inevitable. There was nothing Mendoza could do to stem the tide.

But like Mendoza himself said after the fight... he never gave up and just kept plugging away. In the seventh round, I think it was... BOOM. A left hook out of nowhere. I think Fundora's legs caused him the fight, because they kept him upright. Just long enough for Mendoza to come back in and finish the job. No way was Fundora getting up from that devastating left hook, and then the one-two flush on the face before he went down.

In a way it was "Mike Weaver-John Tate -ish". All is lost until one big punch and then... TIMBERRRR!!

Hearing Fundora speak after the fight... he's a likable kid and all. I just think he needs to eat a few more cheeseburgers, and get on up to a division that better suits his height and reach.
    Really a solid night of fights, and still need to catch the Bam Rodriquez card. I just love some upsets. Keeps the boxing world revolving. It does look like Fundora may want-need to make that move but it can also have as much to do with him in the middle of adjusting styles and leaving too many windows open in defense. You have the frame of a praying mantis and the wingspan of a condor but desperately needs to fight his height. At least in spots vs a compact plugger like Mendoza. Unfortunatley as we see with so many fighter, you cannot learn backwards though. You have success you reach a higher level and that level will exploit mistakes. Yeh he looked fried after the two piece and in fairness it looked like his head slammed pretty hard off the canvas too.

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

having ismael salas in the corner is gold for brian
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

why does that punch knock a guy out, but the same punch can hit him a hundred times but do nothing?

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Yuzo View Post
    why does that punch knock a guy out, but the same punch can hit him a hundred times but do nothing?

It IS a mystery, right?

It's not like Mendoza hadn't hit Fundora squarely in the face prior to that one shot.

I believe there's several factors that came together in a "perfect storm" kind of scenario.

As happens a lot in boxing, one guy (Fundora) was coming in to deliver his own shot (left). He carelessly left his right hand low as he leaned in to throw his left hand. Meanwhile, and with perfect timing, Mendoza throws a compact left hook. In fact, it looks like a sort of "no-look" kind of hook... meaning Mendoza probably got a little of unintended added leverage on that left hook as he turned his own head to the right.

Then there's the point of contact. Mendoza's hook caught Fundora on the point of the chin, coming in directly from the side... causing the maximum amount of torque to twist the head around.

Finally, there's Fundora himself... trying a long distance left uppercut which, based on anatomy alone... puts the chin out there to be hit. Tough to throw that punch and have your chin tucked in at the same time.

And again... if Fundora had been dropped by the punch... he may have been able to beat the count (although I think he would've been KO'ed shortly after). But Mendoza expertly recognized the situation in front of him and placed two more devastating punches on Fundora to finish him off.

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

the shot was perfectly timed, because when Fundora was being counted out , you had an inkling that when the count to about 6, he looked lucid enough to start getting up, but he just didn't move or try to get up, almost like he was frozen to the spot.
    i'm really interested in what happens next for Fundora. was he drained at the weight ? obviously a possibility, but the next question is , "does he go up a weight ?" and then you have the doubts about him be KO'd by a LMW , so he may not have the chin for MW ?
    really tricky one for him.
    Former Undisputed 4 belt Prediction champion. Still P4P and People’s Champion.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by TitoFan View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Yuzo View Post

It IS a mystery, right?

It's not like Mendoza hadn't hit Fundora squarely in the face prior to that one shot.

I believe there's several factors that came together in a "perfect storm" kind of scenario.

As happens a lot in boxing, one guy (Fundora) was coming in to deliver his own shot (left). He carelessly left his right hand low as he leaned in to throw his left hand. Meanwhile, and with perfect timing, Mendoza throws a compact left hook. In fact, it looks like a sort of "no-look" kind of hook... meaning Mendoza probably got a little of unintended added leverage on that left hook as he turned his own head to the right.

Then there's the point of contact. Mendoza's hook caught Fundora on the point of the chin, coming in directly from the side... causing the maximum amount of torque to twist the head around.

Finally, there's Fundora himself... trying a long distance left uppercut which, based on anatomy alone... puts the chin out there to be hit. Tough to throw that punch and have your chin tucked in at the same time.

And again... if Fundora had been dropped by the punch... he may have been able to beat the count (although I think he would've been KO'ed shortly after). But Mendoza expertly recognized the situation in front of him and placed two more devastating punches on Fundora to finish him off.
    maybe we are thinking about how to land punches all wrong. we dont really land the punches; the other guy does.

Thread Information