Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Joseph Parker v Faiga 'Django' Opelu

Heavyweight boxing champion Tyson Fury has indicated he will journey to Australia in May to watch sparring partner and friend Joseph Parker compete on a card that will also see two former AFL stars square off in the ring.

Parker, who held the WBO belt until 2018, will headline No Limit's debut event in Melbourne next month against Queenslander Faiga 'Django' Opelu.

Nikita Tszyu will feature as the co-main against undefeated Victorian Benjamin Bommber, while former AFL great Cameron Mooney will make his professional boxing debut against retired Essendon star Tom Bellchambers.

Parker will be fighting for the Commonwealth heavyweight title and tuned in for Wednesday's press conference from Ireland, where he is presently based.

'I spoke to (Fury) last week and he said he is going to make the trip down,' Parker said.

'If he locks in a fight, that might be different, but he's said he is going to come down to support me, support the event and meet a lot of his fans in Australia.'

The New Zealander has spent a great deal of time in recent years living in Fury's hometown of Morecambe, using the same gym, sparring partners, nutritionist and even masseuse as the heavyweight champ.

In fact, Parker stayed at Fury's house prior to his first encounter against Derek Chisora and is now even known around the area as 'Morecambe Joe'.

The belt Parker is fighting for was once held by Fury and a host of other boxing legends, and the heavyweight contender is gunning for it.

'And I'm looking forward to adding my name to that list,' he said.

'He [Opelu] is a great fighter and deserves his shot, but there are levels to this game and I plan to show that.

'I'm not taking this lightly and I look forward to putting on a great performance for the fight fans.'

Geelong legend Mooney, 43, who retired in 2011 is excited to be taking on 33-year-old Bellchambers, who retired from the game in 2020.

'I've loved boxing since I was a young man watching Mike Tyson fight in the lounge room with my brothers,' Mooney said at the press conference.

'It's been something I've really enjoyed. I've done a lot of boxing in the ring, sparring, all of those types of things during my footy training.

'Like I said, it's something I've absolutely loved, something I'm pretty confident with and once it comes to fight night, I'm looking to do a job.

'One of us is going to get knocked out. We're going to go in there, have some fun, throw some punches, see what happens.

'Three rounds and we'll go our hardest. Hopefully one of us gets knocked on our backsides and hopefully it's Tommy.'

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/sport/boxi...e863edac&ei=34
    Last edited by Master; 04-26-2023 at 05:36 PM.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Joseph Parker v Faiga 'Django' Opelu

Parker said: “I’m very excited to be heading to Australia to headline a massive fight.

“I’ve been to Australia numerous times and the amount of support there is amazing and everyone is always so welcoming.

“I look forward to the atmosphere from both the Aussie and Kiwi fight fans and I know everyone will be pumped to see two world class heavyweights go at it.

“The Commonwealth heavyweight title has been held by some of the biggest names in the sport so I’m looking forward to adding my name to that list on May 24 in Melbourne.

“He [Opelu] is a great fighter and deserves his shot but there’s levels to this game and I plan to show that.

“I’m not taking this lightly and I look forward to putting on a great performance for the fight fans. Credit to him for stepping up and taking this fight.”

https://talksport.com/sport/boxing/1...ed-next-fight/

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Joseph Parker recorded his first stoppage win in three years as he knocked out Faiga Opelu in the first round with Tyson Fury watching on from ringside in Australia.

The former WBO heavyweight champion took his latest step towards re-joining the division's biggest names as he dispatched his opponent in emphatic style to improve to 32-3.

Parker was fighting for the first time since beating Jack Massey by unanimous decision in Manchester back in January.

"I'd like to thank Django [Opelu] for taking the fight and putting on the best performance he could," said Parker post-fight.

"I want to keep busy, anyone who's keen, anywhere. I just want to fight."

Parker had been dealt a major blow to his world title hopes in September when he suffered an 11th-round knockout defeat to Joe Joyce to leave him on the outside looking in as far as the heavyweight frontrunners were concerned.

"I'd like to see him fight maybe a rematch with Andy Ruiz, or a rematch with Joe Joyce, or even Dillian Whyte or even AJ. Joseph Parker is back on the map!" said Fury.

Before Opelu his most recent stoppage victory came in a fifth-round TKO win over Shawndell Winters in February 2020, after which he went on to beat Junior Fa followed by back-to-back split and unanimous decision triumphs over Derek Chisora in 2021.

In getting the job done in 86 seconds it also marked his swiftest victory since August 2015 when he took him a mere 63 seconds to topple Bowie Tupou.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/sport/boxi...3edfffd7&ei=65

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Even as a Kiwi that was a waste of time fight for Parker
    I doubt Opelu makes it out of the 1st but the stoppage was early

Thread Information