Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  7
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: David Morrell v David Benavidez- we gonna pretend this is not a fight?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: David Morrell v David Benavidez- we gonna pretend this is not a fight?

Quote Originally Posted by ykdadamaja View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TIC View Post
    david b don't want that david m smoke
    Would be a great fight for the records. Personally, I think Morrell beats Canelo on points. But the Benavidez fight with Morrell would be hell on earth... I can imagine the middle rounds on that one. Pure fire!!
    canelo still beats both if the fights happen in the next year from now. david b is easy work for david m
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: David Morrell v David Benavidez- we gonna pretend this is not a fight?

Quote Originally Posted by Primo Carnera View Post
    For the record, I reckon Canelo will win tonight , probably late stoppage. But I do think Ryder is gonna give him a very tough fight.
    Not a hater, but I do think Canelo is ever so slightly on the downslide. Wrong side of 30, little injuries here and there, his style taking its toll, and he no longer has the advantages he once had, nor the desire. It’s totally natural, not really a criticism.
    He even mentioned if he lost tonight, that’s it. He never speaks like that.
    I think he’s looking to limp his way into retirement without hopefully having any wars. Not sure that’s gonna happen though.
    i think john will give canelo a good fight. john should already have been a champion & has always fought well. he is not elite but is a tough fight for anyone around middle & super middle. i think it goes the distance. i agree that canelo could be on a slide decline. i don't think canelo will limp into retirement, but a couple of easy paydays is not impossible to end his career. i think canelo will face at least one if not two top challenges before he hangs them up
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by TitoFan View Post
    For the record, I reckon Canelo will win tonight , probably late stoppage. But I do think Ryder is gonna give him a very tough fight.
    Not a hater, but I do think Canelo is ever so slightly on the downslide. Wrong side of 30, little injuries here and there, his style taking its toll, and he no longer has the advantages he once had, nor the desire. It’s totally natural, not really a criticism.
    I think he’s looking to limp his way into retirement without hopefully having any wars. Not sure that’s gonna happen though.

Stop it. Canelo's 32 years old, well within what is normally considered the peak years of boxing. Also when you say he "no longer has the advantages he once had." What do you mean, exactly? Because I can list a myriad of advantages which if anything, have been cemented over time. Desire? Meh. You might have a point.

You see... I don't want to be part of the group that if and when Canelo gets beaten by a Benavidez or a Morrell (let's not kid ourselves... Ryder will be another cakewalk)... I don't want to be part of the group that when that happens, excuses Canelo as being "past his prime." I'm looking forward to Canelo getting thoroughly beaten (again) while totally in his prime. This is the reason the fight with Benavidez needs to happen sooner rather than later. Time is of the essence. Canelo's hemming and hawing and looking at the calendar.

He wants "legacy"?? Benavidez is waiting.
    You just said it, why the desperation and time being of the essence, if he is “well within the peak years of boxing.” ?
    Different people deteriorate at different times, I think Canelo is on the slide, not massively, but noticeably.

Fair enough to say that you think he's on the decline, and I don't. But the fact of the matter is... the longer the fight takes to happen... the more excuses Canelo and his fans are going to have when he loses.
    I hear what you’re saying, and trust me, if he loses, there are no excuses, so fuck what his fans think.
    Former Undisputed 4 belt Prediction champion. Still P4P and People’s Champion.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Ryder will go down in 4.
    Bigger man George, bigger punch!

Subscribe: Free online Classifieds and Business directory!
    Hidden Content

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I just loved how when Morrell was asked what's next it was all about fighting Benavidez and Canelo wasn't really even mentioned. Both top guys should read a page or two from 'history o' Nelo' and be weary of waiting, abiding or lining up for a slow walk shot at the bespeckled golden goose that is Canelo. Make this fight and I'm a happy man. Style wise great great mash up. Smooth southpaw with pop may give Benavidez big problems but tbh professionally, Morrell has hardly had a round of adversity or been punched in the teeth remotely close to a Benavidez. And it's not dominating while facing grade A or even B guys. Awesome thing about the both of them that is lacking a bit today is the supreme confidence of both. You cannot 'train' genuine hardened self belief and willingness to face a monster.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Stop it. Canelo's 32 years old, well within what is normally considered the peak years of boxing. Also when you say he "no longer has the advantages he once had." What do you mean, exactly? Because I can list a myriad of advantages which if anything, have been cemented over time. Desire? Meh. You might have a point.

You see... I don't want to be part of the group that if and when Canelo gets beaten by a Benavidez or a Morrell (let's not kid ourselves... Ryder will be another cakewalk)... I don't want to be part of the group that when that happens, excuses Canelo as being "past his prime." I'm looking forward to Canelo getting thoroughly beaten (again) while totally in his prime. This is the reason the fight with Benavidez needs to happen sooner rather than later. Time is of the essence. Canelo's hemming and hawing and looking at the calendar.

He wants "legacy"?? Benavidez is waiting.
    You just said it, why the desperation and time being of the essence, if he is “well within the peak years of boxing.” ?
    Different people deteriorate at different times, I think Canelo is on the slide, not massively, but noticeably.

Fair enough to say that you think he's on the decline, and I don't. But the fact of the matter is... the longer the fight takes to happen... the more excuses Canelo and his fans are going to have when he loses.
    I hear what you’re saying, and trust me, if he loses, there are no excuses, so fuck what his fans think.

We agree.

In a nutshell, here's the ideal scenario, and one that would gain me some respect for Canelo.

He can rematch Bivol if he insists. That's neither here nor there for me. Bivol already proved his dominance over Canelo, and the only thing missing from that fight was a knockout ending. 168... 175... makes no difference to me. Get it over with, if Canelo wants it so bad (redemption, heh-heh). Bivol seems anxious for another mega payday... so why not. But do it soon and NEXT.

If not, then all roads lead through Benavidez. But here's where my wishes become fantasy. Make the fight in a neutral site, for once. Vegas is not neutral. Vegas is Canelo-Land. Let's not kid ourselves. An opponent has no shot at getting a decision there... and before someone chirps up and says "Oh but how about Bivol and Mayweather"... I'll shut that one down by saying there would've been a federal inquiry had the judges stolen those decisions from them two. And we all know what happened with the scoring in those fights, so no need to go into THAT.

So Canelo fights Benavidez next... in a neutral site... honest attempts to find judges NOT on the WBC or Canelo payroll... and let's get it on.

But... this being a fantasy... I then stumble outside the next day and find that someone accidentally dropped a million dollars outside my front door.

More realistically... Canelo will finish his career with a couple more "gimmies"... and ride off into the sunset claiming some sort of otherworldly status... buoyed by his legions of fans (including casuals), who will fawn and defend every fight on his record. He'll go off and play golf and go into acting (soaps) and do whatever the hell else he feels like doing.

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

this fight could be set for october

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Spicoli View Post
    I just loved how when Morrell was asked what's next it was all about fighting Benavidez and Canelo wasn't really even mentioned. Both top guys should read a page or two from 'history o' Nelo' and be weary of waiting, abiding or lining up for a slow walk shot at the bespeckled golden goose that is Canelo. Make this fight and I'm a happy man. Style wise great great mash up. Smooth southpaw with pop may give Benavidez big problems but tbh professionally, Morrell has hardly had a round of adversity or been punched in the teeth remotely close to a Benavidez. And it's not dominating while facing grade A or even B guys. Awesome thing about the both of them that is lacking a bit today is the supreme confidence of both. You cannot 'train' genuine hardened self belief and willingness to face a monster.
    That's why I like the fight with David M v David B... I see a classic here. Something we would talk about for years to come from what we were allowed to witness.

Hidden Content

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by TIC View Post
    this fight could be set for october
    So the net chatter has it...
    https://www.boxingnews24.com/2023/06...not-happening/

https://www.boxing247.com/boxing-new...october/264269

Hidden Content

Thread Information