Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  7
Likes Likes:  52
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What's next for Haney, Lomachenko & the Lightweight division?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default What's next for Haney, Lomachenko & the Lightweight division?

Does Haney move up or can he still make 135?
    If Haney stays at 135 should he rematch Lomachenko, or fight Davis or Stevenson in his next fight?
    If Haney moves up to 140 who do you think his 1st opponent should be?
    If Haney moves up what's the best fight to make at 135?
    Should Lomachenko remain at 135 or drop down a weight?
    Who emerges as undisputed at 135 if Haney moves up?
    Thoughts?

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: What's next for Haney, Lomachenko & the Lightweight division?

As the undisputed champion in 135 he would be entitled to fight a champion at 140.

Winner of Josh Taylor Vs Lopez?

If he stays at 135 it’s Tank or Shakur.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Haney will go where he can make the most money if it means staying at lightweight and immediately taking on Davis or Shakur he will. Haney will not want to make ordinary defences of the title against anyone else.

Haney will not want to rematch Loma. In fact, it would be good for Loma to take on Tank or Stevenson. These are the best fights at the weight. I think Shakur Stevenson is the best of the lot but has a way to prove it.

If Haney moves up he is good enough to take on one of the belt holders, if permitted, such as Prograis, Romero, and Matias. Then if he is successful Haney faces the winner of Josh or Teo.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I would like to see Loma move down in weight if he continues. He is small for 135, and the top guys aren’t better, they are just really difficult for him to beat because he has to wear them down prior to going all out. His punches don’t have the same effect at all, and the size difference exhausts him. Tank is a very interesting fight in my opinion, but I don’t want to see him get overwhelmed by Stevenson.

If I was Haney I would move up to fight the Teo vs Taylor winner. Both are damaged good at this point and he can minimize risk while becoming s unified champ at a second weight. If Teo somehow beats Taylor, the immediate hype for that fight only adds to its attractiveness and potential payout. On the other hand, I would avoid Tank and Shakur at all costs if I was Haney- I feel like he matches up poorly and loses to both/either.

Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

tank is the big fight to make if devin can make lightweight again. if devin goes to one forty he could use his wbo belt to become mandatory to the josh v teo winner. if devin stays at one thirty five & doesn't rematch loma, is that a duck? if devin moves up i think loma v shakur is the best fight to make. i'd love to see loma v joe cordina at one thirty. i also think shakur is the best at lightweight, he just needs to prove it in the ring
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

Titofan:

The fact is GGG has fought at 160 for his entire career. Post #87, 5th August 2022
    Hidden Content

Also Titofan:

GGG weighed 163 for the Rolls fight. Post #91, 6th August 2022

Hidden Content

Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

lightweight would be a great division right now for a wbss type tournament
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

Titofan:

The fact is GGG has fought at 160 for his entire career. Post #87, 5th August 2022
    Hidden Content

Also Titofan:

Hidden Content

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

as much as i would love Haney, Tank and Shakur to mix it, I think Haney's time at 135 is up. He's gonna have to move up in weight , but with Boxing politics being what they are , and Haney , in my opinion not being universally liked, I'm not sure he's gonna get the fights he wants or deserves at LWW.
    Former Undisputed 4 belt Prediction champion. Still P4P and People’s Champion.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Primo Carnera View Post
    as much as i would love Haney, Tank and Shakur to mix it, I think Haney's time at 135 is up. He's gonna have to move up in weight , but with Boxing politics being what they are , and Haney , in my opinion not being universally liked, I'm not sure he's gonna get the fights he wants or deserves at LWW.
    If that is true then Haney should stay at lightweight. There are bigger fights at the division.

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    If that is true then Haney should stay at lightweight. There are bigger fights at the division.
    He can't mate. he has been at 135 since he was a teenager , he's outgrown the weight . If he fights Tank or Shakur and gets beat because he's drained at the weight , everybody will cry "Excuse" and to a degree , fair enough.
    Only he knows if he can do the weight safely and keep his strength. and if he can't , he's got no choice but to move up.
    Former Undisputed 4 belt Prediction champion. Still P4P and People’s Champion.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

It's going to a bit tough for both I believe. Haney is in a pickle as he's been talking move up for last couple of fights and honestly needs to if for nothing else but for the health factors of boiling down to 135 again. But I really need to see Haney vs Tank or Shakur off of an extremely disputed win vs Loma. And it sounds life there's no hope for a rematch. He jumps now it just feels he's leaving too many legacy challenges undone. Then again I don't fancy his chances with Tank tbh. He doesn't have the fire power and under pressure he does not strike me as complete and confident. The left eraser of Tank is a different animal to that of Lomas. Favor Shakur over him right now. But in fairness, what has Shakur done at 135? You can have all the talent but jumping divisions matters as a proven ground. Shakur vs Haney needs to happen. 140 is a shark tank right now but should Teo win that also looks like an easy match to make with Haney. But Haney better pack his lunch at 140.

Or we could see the belts fracture now and mandatories thrown at Haney.

Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Spicoli View Post
    with Tank tbh. He doesn't have the fire power and under pressure he does not strike me as complete and confident. The left eraser of Tank is a different animal to that of Lomas. Favor Shakur over him right now. But in fairness, what has Shakur done at 135? You can have all the talent but jumping divisions matters as a proven ground. Shakur vs Haney needs to happen.
    i see devin v tank as an even fight going in. tank has struggled to pin down opponents before but his power can turn the fight at any point. to be fair to shakur, isaac cruz, william zepeda & george kambosos turned down fights with him, shuichiro yoshino accepted the fight as shakur went down the ratings

Titofan:

Hidden Content

Also Titofan:

Hidden Content

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    He can't mate. he has been at 135 since he was a teenager , he's outgrown the weight . If he fights Tank or Shakur and gets beat because he's drained at the weight , everybody will cry "Excuse" and to a degree , fair enough.
    Only he knows if he can do the weight safely and keep his strength. and if he can't , he's got no choice but to move up.
    You are probably right that Haney will move up to the next weight class.

However I get the feeling he can make the weight and using it as a negotiating tool for making the big fights against Tank and Shakur. If he had extra time to rehydrate inserted in the contract he will stay in the division.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by TIC View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Spicoli View Post
    with Tank tbh. He doesn't have the fire power and under pressure he does not strike me as complete and confident. The left eraser of Tank is a different animal to that of Lomas. Favor Shakur over him right now. But in fairness, what has Shakur done at 135? You can have all the talent but jumping divisions matters as a proven ground. Shakur vs Haney needs to happen.
    i see devin v tank as an even fight going in. tank has struggled to pin down opponents before but his power can turn the fight at any point. to be fair to shakur, isaac cruz, william zepeda & george kambosos turned down fights with him, shuichiro yoshino accepted the fight as shakur went down the ratings
    Tough for Haney as staying as close as he did with Loma or Kambosos II will be to his detriment with Tank. He simply does not have the firepower to detour an also defensivley improved Tank. The inside downward clinching up on a squat Davis, getting caught up in too many exchanges, not good. Shakur was fine with Yoshino. Didn't expect Cruz or Kambobos for a 135 debut really, he just literally only has half a dozen months and 1 fight at 135. Jumping divisions matters.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think Haney waits to see what happens with Taylor vs. Lopez & also to see if a rematch with Lomachenko is ordered by the WBO or the WBC
    He could target an easy title & transition fight at 140 against Romero
    Does Haney have more bargaining power at 140 as undisputed lightweight champion or 140 title holder?
    If Haney stays at 135 then I want to see him fight Stevenson, Davies or rematch Lomachenko

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Welllllll..... I don't know about Loma and the lightweight division.

But I think I know what's next for Haney.

Seems Eddie Hearn wants for Haney to fight Rolly for the WBA 140-pound title.

I have a better idea.

Why don't Haney, Rolly, and Ryan hold their own "mini-tournament" at 140 for the WBA strap?

Whoever comes out on top can call themselves "The Face of Boxing."

Prograis, Matias, Taylor, and Lopez need not apply.

This will be a private party.

Thread Information