Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  7
Likes Likes:  53
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: What's next for Haney, Lomachenko & the Lightweight division?

Share/Bookmark

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default What's next for Haney, Lomachenko & the Lightweight division?

Does Haney move up or can he still make 135?
    If Haney stays at 135 should he rematch Lomachenko, or fight Davis or Stevenson in his next fight?
    If Haney moves up to 140 who do you think his 1st opponent should be?
    If Haney moves up what's the best fight to make at 135?
    Should Lomachenko remain at 135 or drop down a weight?
    Who emerges as undisputed at 135 if Haney moves up?
    Thoughts?

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: What's next for Haney, Lomachenko & the Lightweight division?

As the undisputed champion in 135 he would be entitled to fight a champion at 140.

Winner of Josh Taylor Vs Lopez?

If he stays at 135 it’s Tank or Shakur.

Mentioned
    1672 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Haney will go where he can make the most money if it means staying at lightweight and immediately taking on Davis or Shakur he will. Haney will not want to make ordinary defences of the title against anyone else.

Haney will not want to rematch Loma. In fact, it would be good for Loma to take on Tank or Stevenson. These are the best fights at the weight. I think Shakur Stevenson is the best of the lot but has a way to prove it.

If Haney moves up he is good enough to take on one of the belt holders, if permitted, such as Prograis, Romero, and Matias. Then if he is successful Haney faces the winner of Josh or Teo.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I would like to see Loma move down in weight if he continues. He is small for 135, and the top guys aren’t better, they are just really difficult for him to beat because he has to wear them down prior to going all out. His punches don’t have the same effect at all, and the size difference exhausts him. Tank is a very interesting fight in my opinion, but I don’t want to see him get overwhelmed by Stevenson.

If I was Haney I would move up to fight the Teo vs Taylor winner. Both are damaged good at this point and he can minimize risk while becoming s unified champ at a second weight. If Teo somehow beats Taylor, the immediate hype for that fight only adds to its attractiveness and potential payout. On the other hand, I would avoid Tank and Shakur at all costs if I was Haney- I feel like he matches up poorly and loses to both/either.

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

tank is the big fight to make if devin can make lightweight again. if devin goes to one forty he could use his wbo belt to become mandatory to the josh v teo winner. if devin stays at one thirty five & doesn't rematch loma, is that a duck? if devin moves up i think loma v shakur is the best fight to make. i'd love to see loma v joe cordina at one thirty. i also think shakur is the best at lightweight, he just needs to prove it in the ring
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

lightweight would be a great division right now for a wbss type tournament
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The lightweight division is heating up, and there are plenty of exciting possibilities for Haney, Lomachenko, and the gang. Haney could stay at 135 and defend his title or choose to move up to 140 for a new challenge. If he stays, a rematch with Lomachenko would certainly be an intriguing option, but fighting Davis or Stevenson would also bring some fireworks to the division. As for Haney's first opponent at 140, someone like Prograis or Taylor could make for an electrifying showdown. If Lomachenko stays at 135, he could continue to dominate the division or even drop down a weight class for a fresh start. And if Haney moves up, we could see an exciting race for the undisputed throne at 135 with the remaining contenders.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Haney has to like that Prograis option after watching that Zorrilla outing

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Big J View Post
    Haney has to like that Prograis option after watching that Zorrilla outing
    Saw Prograis mentioning of all people Broner . Dunno if he's playing games but as a fan it really does makes me rethink him more on top of the 1st gear drifter performance clocked in with Zorrilla. Confidence of other top 135/140 cannot help but soar thinking about Prograis going on 35 but I'm also not ready to write him off on a close ugly win. But a used up Broner isn't it .

Mentioned
    1672 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Shakur Stevenson has revealed that he's rejected an initial offer to fight Devin Haney next.

The former featherweight and super-featherweight world champion won his first fight at lightweight in April and is now calling for a shot at the undisputed king.

Haney holds all four of the WBA, WBC, IBF and WBO world titles in the division.

In May, he narrowly outpointed Vasyl Lomachenko to retain his belts and has since discussed the possibility of moving up in weight for his next fight.

As he is a free agent after completing his three-fight deal with Bob Arum's Top Rank, Haney can take his time and figure out the best option for him.

However, there are huge possible match-ups for him, if he stays at lightweight, against Gervonta Davis (represented by Al Haymon's PBC) and Stevenson (represented by Arum's Top Rank).

With Davis currently in jail, Devin's father/trainer Bill Haney recently met with Arum for talks again and Stevenson was no doubt one of the topics discussed.

Now, Stevenson has taken to social media to explain that he's received an offer and rejected it.

The 26-year-old first sent a cryptic tweet in which he strongly hinted he was talking about Haney, but did not confirm it.

It read: "Nah, I’m not gonna take 25 per cent, but you knew that already, be realistic."

https://talksport.com/sport/boxing/1...y-offer-75-25/
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

didn't devin take twenty two percent to fight george?

Thread Information