0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Reasons for Liking or Disliking a Fighter

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivan Zhelezo View Post
    Golovkin was lucky that Dmitry Pirog was forced to withdraw due to injury in 2012. His career could have turned out very differently after Pirog dismantled him in 12 rounds.
    No one has dismantled triple G and certainly not in 2012. He was a beast in the division at the time.
    Dmitry Pirog's technical prowess, especially his ability to set traps for his opponents, would be a serious test for Gennady Golovkin. Pirog was known for his strategic approach in the ring, employing a cerebral style that involved luring opponents into vulnerable positions. Against Golovkin, who is known for his aggressive and relentless style, Pirog's ability to anticipate and exploit openings would have played a crucial role.

One of Pirog's strengths lies in his excellent use of mixing speed and changing levels. This dynamic approach would have disrupted Golovkin's rhythm and made it difficult for him to predict Pirog's movements. Pirog's agility and adaptability would have allowed him to capitalize on Golovkin's aggressive tendencies, making him pay for any overcommitments.

Footwork is another aspect where Pirog would have held an advantage. His effective footwork would allow him to control the distance, pivot away from danger, and create angles for counter-attacks. Pirog's skillful footwork would have enabled him to navigate the ring more effectively than Golovkin, frustrating the latter's pursuit and limiting his offensive opportunities.

Pirog's strategic probing to create openings would have been a key factor if they had fought. By studying Golovkin's patterns and weaknesses during the early rounds, Pirog would have been able to exploit those vulnerabilities as the fight progressed. Pirog's ability to adapt and capitalize on opportunities would have been a decisive factor in a contest against Golovkin.

Moreover, Pirog's fluidity in his movements would have presented a challenge for Golovkin, who tends to be more methodical in his approach. Pirog's seamless transitions between offense and defense would have made it challenging for Golovkin to read and respond effectively.

Pirog's technical superiority, ability to set traps, mixing of speed and changing levels, adept footwork, strategic probing, and fluidity in the ring would have made him a formidable opponent for Golovkin, leading to a decisive victory based on these attributes.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Definitely many variables when you're talking dislike. I don't mind a fighter crap personality etc as long as it translates into execution in the ring. Fury stands out on his out ledge for me in doing the opposite now. And his presence, social media and live are like few others as far as shit storm and constant babble and double talk. One year you're talking goat and the next you're playing yourself in a clown show and becoming a punchline. But Usyk is on the horizon and Tyson has seemingly put on his big boy pants "for real" now so we'll see.

Dislike Shakur Stevenson. Might be a little harsh this early but another one who let social media literally melt him down pre and post his track meet last fight. Remember when he was stink facing Haney after Loma fight? How it's flipped. and any mention of Haney vs Stevenson is laughed out of the room.

Like Tim Tszyu. From being flat ducked and swept aside he has done nothing but plow forward and take on all comers. Today we see a lot of "well they're not well known/big name" (see Matias see Janibek) and it's a crutch for top fighters to use...and they do. The dare to be paid era. Said it before and say it now, if this was 6,7 years ago networks would be putting him center stage and do something crazy like BUILD a brand and exposure. Anyone with two functional eyes can see the man can fight and be competitive with the big dogs.

Dislike Gilberto Zurdo Ramirez. Ugh. The sloth the pampering by promotion the indifferent attitude and effort. Just the embodiment of "Meh, whatever"

Like Zhilei Zhang. Man hitting 40 and hitting his full stride in an until recent stagnant division. Love his passion and he's a character but in in the full of shat way. Real shame he's missing out on the big all heavy card this month. Especially when the waddling lab experiment that is Jarrell Miller is being given a low hanging fruit of a big match after doing nothing for 5 years.

Dislike Jarrell Miller. He's more of a boisterous fat mouth hype guy brought in for this card let's be honest

Dislike Canelo Alvarez. I think Tito covered most of this . He's a little bit Fury and some Tank Davis right now for me.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Golovkin was lucky that Dmitry Pirog was forced to withdraw due to injury in 2012. His career could have turned out very differently after Pirog dismantled him in 12 rounds.
    But we can only look at what a man went on to do and what a man did not. Hypotheticals and woulda-shoulda unknowns get the best of us. Not as if Golovkin was hiding under his bed and avoiding the fight before Pirog took injury. But Pirog at the time was one of the most formidable mobile fighters Golovkin had on deck. And respect that he was willing to drop the belt to get Golovkin. It would have been a massive HBO event and introduction for both. I just never understood why/how Pirog disappeared after huge highlight KO over Jacobs. Such an epic win. We thought we had a new star but the ball was dropped in bringing him back quickly to build that fight.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Spicoli View Post
    Definitely many variables when you're talking dislike. I don't mind a fighter crap personality etc as long as it translates into execution in the ring. Fury stands out on his out ledge for me in doing the opposite now. And his presence, social media and live are like few others as far as shit storm and constant babble and double talk. One year you're talking goat and the next you're playing yourself in a clown show and becoming a punchline. But Usyk is on the horizon and Tyson has seemingly put on his big boy pants "for real" now so we'll see.

Dislike Shakur Stevenson. Might be a little harsh this early but another one who let social media literally melt him down pre and post his track meet last fight. Remember when he was stink facing Haney after Loma fight? How it's flipped. and any mention of Haney vs Stevenson is laughed out of the room.

Like Tim Tszyu. From being flat ducked and swept aside he has done nothing but plow forward and take on all comers. Today we see a lot of "well they're not well known/big name" (see Matias see Janibek) and it's a crutch for top fighters to use...and they do. The dare to be paid era. Said it before and say it now, if this was 6,7 years ago networks would be putting him center stage and do something crazy like BUILD a brand and exposure. Anyone with two functional eyes can see the man can fight and be competitive with the big dogs.

Dislike Gilberto Zurdo Ramirez. Ugh. The sloth the pampering by promotion the indifferent attitude and effort. Just the embodiment of "Meh, whatever"

Like Zhilei Zhang. Man hitting 40 and hitting his full stride in an until recent stagnant division. Love his passion and he's a character but in in the full of shat way. Real shame he's missing out on the big all heavy card this month. Especially when the waddling lab experiment that is Jarrell Miller is being given a low hanging fruit of a big match after doing nothing for 5 years.

Dislike Jarrell Miller. He's more of a boisterous fat mouth hype guy brought in for this card let's be honest

Dislike Canelo Alvarez. I think Tito covered most of this . He's a little bit Fury and some Tank Davis right now for me.

We agree on all the likes/dislikes.

In the case of Shakur, if I was him I'd be relatively quiet right now, after that giant egg he laid vs Edwin de los Santos in his last fight.

With Jarrell it's also the case of his repeated (and repeated) fukk-ups with PEDs. Talk about not learning a lesson... geez... Also, TBH, I pretty much despise the "Big Baby" moniker. Save that for your cuddly moments with MRS. Big Baby.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Updating this based on recent fights...

I've always liked Inoue, and the like has only gone up after his latest fight. It's inconceivable to me how he's still below Ginger in some obviously biased and knowledge-lacking P4P lists. Not that those things mean much or hold much water. But recognition is always good no matter the form.

Someone (Daniel Dubois) finally shut Big Baby up... so that's a plus for me. Never have liked the repeated drug cheat... and although he cost me a prediction loss... I'm glad he lost. Had my doubts about Daniel's mental state going in. But he more than answered his critics.

I was always clamoring for a Wilder-Joshua fight, no matter how long after its expiration date. NO MORE. Wilder is only embarrassing himself right now, and quietly retire. I included him on here not because I like or dislike him... but because it was a big fight that changed my opinion of him.

I've always liked Bivol, and that went up exponentially when he gave Ginger a beating. So his latest dominating win over Lyndon Arthur did nothing to change that either way.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Addendum-I’ve been hard on Davis for a few years because I hate what he’s done since winning his first title but he recently converted to Islam. I’m not a religious man so I don’t give that much thought other than to say every night I saw Davis out he seemed well intoxicated. Islam does not allow alcohol. I have hopes the conversion will calm his wilder side and he’ll grow the hell up. I’d like for him to move in the proper ways for the sport. If he fought

Loma
    Stevenson
    Haney
    Lopez

Hell, if he fought 2 of them I’d forgive these last 5 years.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I disliked Danny Garcia.

What bothered me is that he looked like a fighter who looked like he shouldn't be winning...yet he continued to do so. Dudes like that -- in any sport -- have always bothered me. It's like, "Will somebody please just beat this guy !"

I disliked like Gullermo Rigondeaux

Not his boxing just his little annoying pin head

Can't really say anything bad about him or that i dislike him. Just his head.

I disliked Alexander Povetkins hair

I disliked Ricky Hatton thinking he’s a stand up comedian.

Ricky you got all your jokes from Bernard Manning word for word.

I dislike Sweet Caroline

We can blame Rocky Fielding for this. He was the first one to use it bk in 2015

Now it's EVERYWHERE

I dislike White American announcers with dreadlocks

He thinks he's a Bob Marley Rasta man, announcing surnames twice, on British cards. Not only is David Diamente a white man with dreads, he's white man with a receding hair line with dreads.

To broaden it out there are plenty of things I dislike about boxing, this is about my dislikes about boxing gyms

I dislike guys who cant concentrate when hitting the heavy bag and are constantly looking around to see if anyone's watching them,

I dislike guys who talk non-stop during sparring, I'm talking guys who even Paulie Malignaggi would tell to STFU

I disliked the new guys that didn't even introduce themselves to anyone but ask people to spar like they are a BADASS (guys like that we used to always throw them in with whoever was the best in gym at the time to fk them up and teach them a lesson)

I disliked the people who spat on the ring canvas.

I disliked the walking pharmacy guys (you get them at every boxing gym) who no joke sits there with his drinks and supplements, skips a round hits the bag for half, NEVER SPARS, does a few push ups and leaves.

I disliked the guys who tried to spar with 10's when the other guy was wearing 16's (ONCE AGAIN - Guys like that we used to always throw them in with whoever was the best in gym at the time to fk them up and teach them a lesson only this time. We didn't use the bell. We wanted to humiliate them by forcing them to quit and show them to never try doing that coward sh*t again)

I disliked sweaty guys who take of their shirt and are sweaty as F then sit their sweaty asses on the work out equipment and put their sweaty backs on the benches that we all have to use and wonder why the owner is looking at him all crazy.

I disliked when new people try to look good and do the Roy Jones or Mayweather style of fighting and absolutely look BAD doing it
    Last edited by Denilson3.0; 12-30-2023 at 04:22 AM.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Did I mention Ryan Garcia in my opening post?

I guess I did, huh...

I'm sorry... but I just don't get how anyone can be a fan of this pipsqueak. The list of transgressions is so long... I'd probably miss a few.

His latest is changing his mind about wanting Haney and now setting his sights on Rolly Romero. Says it makes better business sense.

That's just another punk move from Princess Ry. He KNOWS he'd lose to Haney... just like he's scared to fight (and won't even mention) the Boogeyman at 140, Subriel Matias.

In his personal life he's even more of a punk.

Divorces his wife just as she's having his son. Punk move.

This is the kid who cares more about his Instagram following than he does about constructing a LEGITIMATE boxing career.

Wanted to catapult off one good fight... only to get humiliated by Gervonta. Not that I like Gervonta all that much either. But he made a lot of points with me by knocking out the Princess.

In this day and age of instant gratification and shortcuts to the top... Princess Ry fits right in.

You want drama queens and posing punks with a pretty face? Follow Princess Ry.

You want boxing the way it's meant to be? Dump his ass.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by TitoFan View Post
    Did I mention Ryan Garcia in my opening post?

I guess I did, huh...

I'm sorry... but I just don't get how anyone can be a fan of this pipsqueak. The list of transgressions is so long... I'd probably miss a few.

His latest is changing his mind about wanting Haney and now setting his sights on Rolly Romero. Says it makes better business sense.

That's just another punk move from Princess Ry. He KNOWS he'd lose to Haney... just like he's scared to fight (and won't even mention) the Boogeyman at 140, Subriel Matias.

In his personal life he's even more of a punk.

Divorces his wife just as she's having his son. Punk move.

This is the kid who cares more about his Instagram following than he does about constructing a LEGITIMATE boxing career.

Wanted to catapult off one good fight... only to get humiliated by Gervonta. Not that I like Gervonta all that much either. But he made a lot of points with me by knocking out the Princess.

In this day and age of instant gratification and shortcuts to the top... Princess Ry fits right in.

You want drama queens and posing punks with a pretty face? Follow Princess Ry.

You want boxing the way it's meant to be? Dump his ass.
    Good timing, interesting on Ryan. Basically he's pulling another ruse now vs Romero. Listened today as it was said to be the next 'big' fan friendly fight. One that will go "mainstream". Honestly it's another borderline celebrity boxing event. We all know and can admit they have both reached their ceiling. Rolly was being looked at as nothing more than a mark carrying a trinket. I really do hope Barroso balks at step aside money and it's him who gets either Ryan or Rolly II. I'd pay top dollar to see the old geezer bounce one of his bricks off Ryans stationary head

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Its all subjective i suppose. I respect all fighters that go to win. Hype jobs are hyped by the people around them and ultimately hyped in to self belief (which you need in a sport like boxing) I don't blame the fighter. Canelo loathe him or love him has proved himself time and time again against many dangerous fighters. The elephant in the room might even say a lot of people are sour. He's beat many US, UK and Europeans who have had huge fanbases and left a few bitter tastes in many peoples mouths.

Its the few that are just in it for a payday with no intention of wining that i hate. Sadly that's the case of many as a journey mans job but when it gets to pay per view level, fuck off.

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

floyd already promoting that king ry v rolly fight. oscar won't be happy
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

https://www.boxingnews24.com/2024/01...rs-frustrated/

“KingRy” Says No Again: Ryan Garcia Rejects Ramirez Fight, Leaving Fans And Matchmakers Frustrated

I toyed with the idea of starting a new thread just on Ryan. Then I said, "nah... there's enough new threads out there already."

So let me begin by saying that Ryan is no "King." But I was wrong... he's not even a "Princess." He's just a big pussy.

I wonder how that's sitting with his massive Instagram following.

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by TIC View Post
    there are rumours that this could happen on april twentieth
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Spicoli View Post
    But we can only look at what a man went on to do and what a man did not. Hypotheticals and woulda-shoulda unknowns get the best of us. Not as if Golovkin was hiding under his bed and avoiding the fight before Pirog took injury. But Pirog at the time was one of the most formidable mobile fighters Golovkin had on deck. And respect that he was willing to drop the belt to get Golovkin. It would have been a massive HBO event and introduction for both. I just never understood why/how Pirog disappeared after huge highlight KO over Jacobs. Such an epic win. We thought we had a new star but the ball was dropped in bringing him back quickly to build that fight.
    It is true that while both Dmitry Pirog and Gennady Golovkin are highly skilled boxers, it is important to recognize that any hypothetical fight between them is speculative.

It seemed wrong for HBO to interview the loser Jacobs after the fight instead of the winner Pirog. They wanted Jacobs to win. When Pirog won, they chose not to push him & his last three defenses were in Russia. HBO's new management instead focused on affordable knockout artists like Golovkin & Kovalev. The plan was for Pirog to be the opponent for GGG's premier U.S. fight & the winner would get the backing. That is when Pirog suffered a career-ending back injury

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

there are rumours that this could happen on april twentieth
    looks like rolly gave up a spot as the main event against king ry to fight on the undercard of timmy

Thread Information