Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Who is next for Canelo?

Canelo is back with Matchroom and will have an easy life until retirement.

I’m sure he will drag up some more fighters from a lower weight class to add up his numbers.

Canelo had a great run at 168 but his style will always be beaten by a Mayweather/Bivol/GGG type fighter.

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by TIC View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Primo Carnera View Post
    if david b is going to light heavy then i think his days are done at super middle. if we ever get the fight at a higher weight we'll have to wait & see but if he is seriously wanting the canelo fight i don't think moving out of the division is the best way to try & force the fight. fighting & beating the other top contenders (david m, jaime, christian mbilli, william scull & edgar) would do more for david b's career & legacy & towards forcing a canelo fight in my opinion than leaving the division. the other thing i wanted to add was if the wba belt consolidation plan that i think started back in august twenty one is still a thing? they were going on about edgar being the wba mandatory for canelo yesterday but david m should be first in line for a shot at canelo's wba belt
    You’re slightly missing my point. Benavidez wanted the fight , who doesn’t ? It’s the golden ticket!
    I don’t think he’s looking to “force the Canelo fight”, I think he just felt that as he and Canelo are the best 2 guys in the division , so he deserves it rather than waiting for Canelo to fight the John Ryders and 2 weight lighter Charlo of this World.
    So I’m pretty sure that if you or I put ourselves in Benavidez’s shoes, we would feel like we’re being ducked or avoided.
    So now he’s had enough , he’s not prepared to do a “GGG” and hang on Canelo’s nuts and get on with his career.
    And like you quite rightly said, Benavidez will not be going back down to SMW.
    So if the fight were ever to happen, it would be at LHW. I personally believe Benavidez feels if Canelo wouldn’t fight him at SMW, absolutely no chance of him fighting him at LHW.
    But career wise, assuming he doesn’t get the Canelo fight, the next best money is at LHW rather than SMW.
    Add to that he can’t keep making 168lb and it’s a no brainier really.
    i agree david b wanted the fight, everyone does. i agree that david b doesn't feel he should have to force the fight. in my opinion he's beaten the better opponents to be considered the number one guy to canelo. if i was david b i'd feel i was being ducked. i'd also feel i was being ducked if i was david m or william scull who have both been waiting on a belt consolidation & mandatory shot longer than david b, not that they are more deserving though. you are probably correct that the better money is at light heavy, even though i feel david b is a better opponent, he'll probably make more to fight oleksandr & if it comes with an interim belt it puts him in the mix for the artur v dmitry winner. if david b is moving up though he needs to stop talking about a canelo fight from that point. one because i doubt he'll return to super middle & two because canelo will still be at super middle. i'll be disappointed if we don't get the canelo v david b fight & will be critical of canelo not giving us that fight at super middle but if david b goes to light heavy then there should be no more talk of the fight unless canelo moves up as well. the wbc said david b was going to be made mandatory in march, that doesn't mean canelo will be forced into the fight but it would look better for david b & the claims of ducking if he stayed at super middle & waited out the mandatory process, although i understand that he may not be able to make the weight much longer
    Pretty much on the same sheet except for the last paragraph.
    Benavidez has gone up and we all know the chances of a Canelo fight are “slim to none and slim’s out of town right now.” But if Benavidez wants to keep answering questions put to him about Canelo by saying he ducked him, that’s up to him.
    He should probably focus his energies on Bivol and Beterbiev, but this is the World we live in.
    Former Undisputed 4 belt Prediction champion. Still P4P and People’s Champion.

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

sounds like it'll be jaime in may now. this puts a big dent in the pbc on prime deal
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Nah, he said he won’t fight another Mexican.

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

things can change. fighters always say dumb shit. i'd prefer william scull over jaime or edgar but dazn probably want a bigger name
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

things can change. fighters always say dumb shit. i'd prefer william scull over jaime or edgar but dazn probably want a bigger name
    Honestly, it’s not the fight I wanted, but it’s not a terrible fight. I prefer this than the other Charlo, At least this guy is ranked with all the bodies at this weight.
    Some might’ve preferred Mbilli, Morrell , whatever.
    No problem , but in 5 or 10 years time , I just know I’m gonna be having conversations on here with people telling me Canelo was the greatest SMW That ever lived.
    Last edited by Primo Carnera; 02-26-2024 at 11:16 PM.

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

jaime would be next in line after david b for me based on his opposition. i definitely agree jaime would be better than jermall. christian mbilli is a good shout, he's co-promoted by top rank & eott i think so there's a possibility there. david morrell is still with pbc so not much chance it happens next. i'd like to see william scull get his ibf mandatory shot, he's a very capable fighter but not really known outside of hardcore circles. there may be those that will argue that canelo is the greatest super middleweight in the future, i doubt i'll be one of them at this stage. david benavidez has one fight left on his contract with pbc so maybe he could do a deal with dazn for september or december this year. the only problem i have with that possibility currently is that if he has to move back down & loses there will be the usual excuses about weight draining & short camps

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Honestly, it’s not the fight I wanted, but it’s not a terrible fight. I prefer this than the other Charlo, At least this guy is ranked with all the bodies at this weight.
    Some might’ve preferred Mbilli, Morrell , whatever.
    No problem , but in 5 or 10 years time , I just know I’m gonna be having conversations on here with people telling me Canelo was the greatest SMW That ever lived.

I won't be one of those people.

But then you probably could've guessed that.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

68 days out. There are greasy politicians who are taking notes on this roll out. Clutter the field early set the bar initially very low, have your lobbyist offer a little feigned hope and promise, let people bait and wait to the point where anything remotely not named Charlo is a 'respectable' step up. Also helps to get the fuss and reactions mostly out of the way pre announce rather than at in the moment . Man has a future in elected office after his pre retire retirement.

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Spicoli View Post
    68 days out. There are greasy politicians who are taking notes on this roll out. Clutter the field early set the bar initially very low, have your lobbyist offer a little feigned hope and promise, let people bait and wait to the point where anything remotely not named Charlo is a 'respectable' step up. Also helps to get the fuss and reactions mostly out of the way pre announce rather than at in the moment . Man has a future in elected office after his pre retire retirement.
    the timmy v keith fight also seems strangely under promoted. only about five weeks away, no all access type show or anything yet

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

the timmy v keith fight also seems strangely under promoted. only about five weeks away, no all access type show or anything yet
    I’m not surprised really. I don’t think it’s that big a fight. I mean Tszyu is obviously a top fighter, but Thurman is old news.
    I don’t even see it being competitive.
    Personally I think I would like to see Tszyu fight Crawford . Now that would be a big fight. Crawford isn’t getting any younger , so stepping up a weight may be necessary, and in my limited knowledge of the LMW division, Tszyu is probably the best around , seeing as Charlo won’t be getting back down to that weight any time soon.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The irony is they pretty much brought Thurman in as the face and a franchise hype man. The initial Keith at the broken scratched podium announcement they did on youtube was on the level of a bad SNL skit. The man was trying to sell me a used car on a Sunday and not believable in selling me a "major" fight. They did nothing risky or broader by running Tszyu as the main and they phoned it in this premier. Especially after the Tszyu build on Showtime before it caved, the man doesn't need recycled Thurman. It feels like a growing trend to rely on social media but even the apps don't grow bigger than the app itself. Actual platform promotions are funneled more at a smaller already established audience. There are 1000-1 more memes about this match than there are professional wider media adverts. I blame Thurman's hairline for the most part . Boxing has drifted into more of short attention span theater with promotions at the cost of growing fans.

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I’m not surprised really. I don’t think it’s that big a fight. I mean Tszyu is obviously a top fighter, but Thurman is old news.
    I don’t even see it being competitive.
    Personally I think I would like to see Tszyu fight Crawford . Now that would be a big fight. Crawford isn’t getting any younger , so stepping up a weight may be necessary, and in my limited knowledge of the LMW division, Tszyu is probably the best around , seeing as Charlo won’t be getting back down to that weight any time soon.
    the event could have had more support if they did it march first with the rugby league in town. my thing is it's pbc's first show on prime, they are really dropping the ball here with promoting it on a new platform. i personally believe that erickson lubin was probably told to step back to allow keith to take the fight for name value. timmy v bud wasn't happening in march after erickson withdrew

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

canelo could satisfy both the wbc & wbo mandatories with a jaime munguia fight

Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Adrian broner says he wanna fight canelo

Thread Information