Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    1670 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Josh Taylor v Jack Catterall 2

To the surprise of precisely no-one, the first time in two years Josh Taylor and Jack Catterall came face-to-face ended with the pair being pulled apart mere seconds later.

For those 24 months, both fighters have carried a burning sense of injustice.

Catterall, along with most observers, feels he was robbed of a once-in-a-lifetime chance to become undisputed light-welterweight champion after a controversial split-decision defeat by Taylor in Glasgow in February 2022.

Despite being the beneficiary of that decision, Taylor too has reason to feel resentment for what has unfolded since that night at the Hydro.

In many respects it would have been better had the Scot not been given the nod by the judges, such is the level of fierce criticism he has faced since.

This time around there are no world titles up for grabs, but the second instalment of this bitter rivalry arguably carries even more significance.

"Careers are on the line in this fight," promoter Eddie Hearn tells BBC Scotland.

"You lose this fight, you're done. Taylor loses this fight, he'll never fight again. Catterall loses this fight, what's he going to do? His world title dreams are finished.

"That's what's on the line in this fight - not losing a belt, losing your career.

"This is a massive all-British fight, Scotland versus England, the controversy of the first fight, the hatred. This is called 'Hate Runs Deep'. I know hate is a strong word, but as you saw from the head-to-head, this is real."

Taylor was at pains to play down any element of hatred, even with the fiery exchanges on stage between the fighters.

The Scot, who has fought just once since the first bout, says he has "a little bit of dislike" for Catterall, but he does not hate anyone.

"Hate's a strong word," he adds. "But I won't be going for a pint with him after this fight, that's for sure.

"I'm not emotionally attached at all, I'm nice and relaxed and chilled out, it's him who's riled up. He tried to put his hands on my throat again. I went to throw a left hook but I think Eddie copped it on his arm.

"This is a big fight, there's a lot hanging in the balance. I've had two bad performances so I need to come back and prove that I'm still one of the best fighters on the planet.

"I need to put on a good performance and essentially I need to get the win. If he comes to fight like he says he is, absolutely fantastic."

Catterall is by his nature an understated character. With Monday's media event open to the public and attended by several hundred Scottish fight fans, he looked at times uncomfortable in the glare of a hostile crowd in Edinburgh.

He allowed his manager Sam Jones, who in complete contrast placed himself front and centre, to do most of his talking for him.

Looks can be deceptive, however. One only needs to recall the Chorley fighter cutting a similarly subdued figure in the build-up to the first fight, only to transform when he stepped through the ropes to deliver a performance very few had seen coming.

Now Catterall believes he is ready to avenge the only loss of his professional career.

"It's fine for people to say 'forget about it' and to an extent I have," the Englishman tells BBC Scotland.

"It's part of my boxing career, it's part of my life and I'm quite content in my life. I've had two fights since then, I've moved on and I'm in a good place. But it must be the same for Josh, day in and day out - when's the rematch happening?

"He'll be getting the same so I think for both of us it's time we can say we're having the rematch and it's getting put to bed.

"I'm not going in there for a Taylor that, in my opinion, is on the slide. I'm going in there preparing for the best version of him. But do I think his best days are done? I do."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/boxing/68341688
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Josh Taylor v Jack Catterall 2

What is it with these trained adult male fighters feeling the need to touch one another like this? It's pretty much exclusively men right? OK the YouTube lingerie tarts might have a bit of handbags and a roll around in their thongs. But you're not seeing Taylor, Serrano et al pushing and shoving are you? In a way, I've got a little more respect or rather less distaste for a Barrera Morales or Bowe Donald situation where they just give the other bloke a swift clump. At least they mean it.

Maybe I'm doing him an injustice because I get Scott Harrison vibes off him, but Josh Taylor strikes me as a right horrible cunt.
    When God said to the both of us "Which one of you wants to be Sugar Ray?" I guess I didnt raise my hand fast enough

Charley Burley

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

This build up will be better than the actual fight
    I expect another snoozer

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Memphis View Post
    What is it with these trained adult male fighters feeling the need to touch one another like this? It's pretty much exclusively men right? OK the YouTube lingerie tarts might have a bit of handbags and a roll around in their thongs. But you're not seeing Taylor, Serrano et al pushing and shoving are you? In a way, I've got a little more respect or rather less distaste for a Barrera Morales or Bowe Donald situation where they just give the other bloke a swift clump. At least they mean it.

Maybe I'm doing him an injustice because I get Scott Harrison vibes off him, but Josh Taylor strikes me as a right horrible cunt.
    No , I don’t think you’re doing him an injustice at all.
    Former Undisputed 4 belt Prediction champion. Still P4P and People’s Champion.

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Memphis View Post

i don't agree with any of the physical nonsense before the bell rings. if a fight is good enough & wanted by the public it'll sell itself. they need to start charging the guy who goes hands on first with assault. some of these unexpected shoves & hits can be dangerous. the fight is signed, why risk injuring your opponent & having the fight postponed or cancelled?

in other news, the fight has sold out
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

Mentioned
    1670 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Josh Taylor’s long-awaited rematch with Jack Catterall has been postponed again, after the Scottish boxer suffered another injury.

Taylor won a highly controversial decision against Catterall in Glasgow in 2022, and a planned rematch collapsed in 2023 when Taylor suffered an injury. Now, the same has happened again.

Taylor and his English rival were set to square off in Leeds on 27 April, more than two years after their first bout, but the rematch is now scheduled for 25 May. Catterall’s agent Sam Jones confirmed the news to The Independent, after it was reported by ESPN’s Mike Coppinger.

“This is boxing,” Jones said. “We half-expected him to pull out, but the fight will get rescheduled, so Jack will see Josh in May. All this has done is prolonged the beating he’s going to get.”

Taylor’s split-decision win over Catterall saw the Scot retain the undisputed super-lightweight titles. The result also kept Taylor unbeaten at the time and marked Catterall’s first loss as a professional.

By the time Taylor fought Teofimo Lopez last June, the 33-year-old held only the WBO belt, having relinquished and been stripped of his other titles. Taylor lost to Lopez via unanimous decision to drop his final belt.

Taylor’s defeat by the American remains his only bout since his first fight with Catterall, 30. In the meantime, Catterall has beaten Darragh Foley and Jorge Linares – both via unanimous decision. Those wins came in May and October 2023 respectively.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/sport/boxi...a8758c3&ei=173
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Thread Information