Quote Originally Posted by Kirkland Laing View Post
Quote Originally Posted by TitoFan View Post
My main point is he's bad for boxing.
Boxing is being left behind by UFC and even now fucking youtubers and ancient old fighters. What's left is being atomised by the alphabet bodies and their multiple belts. Other than a massive Hispanic following in America it's dying a death, the non Hispanic fans are all middle aged or older. Anybody that brings any attention to the sport part of boxing is fantastic for boxing. Anything that attracts young fans, the social media generation and gets in the tabloids is great for boxing. You may not like this world and how it is now but this is how it is now. This is the world we live in. Even if he ends up fighting some of the freak show people, and he will because the money will be huge and there'll be zero risk, none of this is bad for boxing.

It's bad for those older fans you mention. Boxing's been around a hell of a lot longer than you or I. And it has survived all sorts of issues and problems that would've sunken any other sport. But all through the years, before the Ryans of the world, boxers came up the traditional way... earning their way to the top. They fought tooth and nail to get noticed. There was no adoring throngs of social media teenyboppers to fuel these artificial rises. You couldn't cash in one good fight into instant stardom, just cause you had a pretty face, called yourself king, and claimed you were something you were not. Actions had to preclude fame... not the other way around.

Now if you want to argue that it's good for the morphed shitbox they still call boxing... that's another story. Real boxing had its peak some decades ago. The real champs... the real fighters... the real fans. Now it's the freak show you aptly mentioned.

Of course boxing is being left behind by UFC. Who needs the rules of boxing? When you can pounce on your unconscious, prone opponent, and continue to beat the shit out of him. As far as the YouTubers and the "ancient old fighters"... it's another sign of the times. Taking shortcuts, instant gratification, taking the easy road, etc, etc.

So, as I define it, yeah... this freak show is bad for boxing.