Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Ridiculously ranked fighters

Reading about Broner (who's had all of four fights in the last six years) being inexplicably dropped by parachute at #8 in the WBA welter rankings (and #15 in the WBC)... leads me to ponder about OTHER ridiculous rankings concocted by these amazingly inept and corrupt boxing organizations.

Of course we all remember the Ngannou magic rankings story... thankfully obliterated by Anthony Joshua right hands.

Boxing organizations (led by the WBC, but followed sometimes closely by the WBA) never cease to amaze us with their sheer incompetence, bias, and corruption politics. Belts held hostage by favorite sons... inactive fighters being strangely protected and rewarded... bogus belts created on a whim (the WBC is a master at this)... and other such nonsense.

Meanwhile, incongruencies abound. While fighters like Canelo Alvarez is allowed to openly duck the David Benavidez's of the world... other fighters like Subriel Matias, right now a feared fighter at 140, are forced to defend against dangerous fighter after dangerous fighter.

I got the following from a Bing search, and it seems like a good place to start:

Boxing rankings are a fascinating yet often contentious aspect of the sport. Let’s delve into the intriguing world of boxing politics:

1. Sanctioning Bodies and Their Influence:
    WBC (World Boxing Council), WBA (World Boxing Association), IBF (International Boxing Federation), and WBO (World Boxing Organization) are the major sanctioning bodies. Each has its own set of champions and rankings.
    These bodies wield significant power. Their decisions impact fighters’ careers, title opportunities, and rankings.
    Politics: Sometimes, a fighter’s alignment with a specific sanctioning body or promoter can affect their ranking. Close ties lead to favorable treatment.
    2. Promoters and Managers:
    Promoters play a crucial role. They negotiate fights, build fighters’ profiles, and influence rankings.
    Politics: Promoters may push for their fighters to receive higher rankings, even if their performance doesn’t warrant it. Financial interests often drive these decisions.
    3. Regional Bias:
    Politics: Certain regions have more influence. A fighter from a boxing powerhouse country might receive preferential treatment in rankings.
    Example: A Mexican fighter might get a boost due to Mexico’s rich boxing history.
    4. Interests of TV Networks and Streaming Platforms:
    Politics: Networks invest in fighters. Their influence extends to rankings.
    Example: A fighter with a lucrative TV deal might find themselves ranked higher, regardless of merit.
    5. Controversial Decisions and Rematches:
    Politics: Rankings can shift dramatically after a controversial decision. Rematches are often arranged to maintain interest and revenue.
    Example: A close fight might lead to an immediate rematch, affecting rankings.
    6. Champion’s Privilege:
    Politics: Champions often receive preferential treatment. They might avoid mandatory challengers or face less threatening opponents.
    Example: A champion might skip a mandatory defense, leading to a shuffle in rankings.
    7. Inactivity and Frozen Rankings:
    Politics: Some fighters remain inactive but retain their rankings. It’s baffling how time doesn’t erode their position.
    Example: A fighter on hiatus due to contractual disputes maintains their spot.
    8. Lobbying and Negotiations:
    Politics: Managers and promoters lobby sanctioning bodies for favorable rankings.
    Example: A well-connected team can secure a higher position.
    9. Fan Influence and Popularity:
    Politics: Fan favorites often receive better rankings. Public demand matters.
    Example: A charismatic fighter with a large following might leapfrog others.
    10. Legacy Rankings:
    Politics: Past achievements sometimes overshadow current form.
    Example: A legendary fighter’s ranking might not reflect their present abilities.
    Remember, boxing rankings are subjective, influenced by a complex web of interests. So, when you see a ranking that leaves you scratching your head, know that you’re not alone—boxing politics can be as unpredictable as a knockout punch!

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Ridiculously ranked fighters

manuel charr as wba heavyweight champion. a belt he hasn't defended yet, having won it over six years ago. jermall charlo as wbc middleweight champion. hasn't defended in nearly three years. edgar berlanga number one wba super middleweight. thammanoon niyomtrong as wba minimumweight champion, who hasn't fought in twenty months
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

All good examples.

Mentioned
    1670 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Lobbying is higher because they bribe the sanctioning bodies to get their boxers title shots. Don King was the best at it but all promters do it. Frank Warren owned the WBO at one stage.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

It's a testament to the greatness of the sport and its appeal to the fans that we manage to put up with the many awful problems it has. The list of problems would fill several volumes of books. It's too bad, really. But boxing continues to survive regardless. MMA has taken a chunk out of the market, but boxing lives on. I myself have never taken a liking to MMA, and never liked this crossover business. But boxing itself has changed. It suffers from the same maladies other sports do. Social media, gimmick fights, guys wanting shortcuts to the top, etc., etc. But boxing moves on. Imagine how much more popular it'd be if all its problems were fixed.

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    Lobbying is higher because they bribe the sanctioning bodies to get their boxers title shots. Don King was the best at it but all promters do it. Frank Warren owned the WBO at one stage.
    top rank fighters are cozy with the wbo as well
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Could scratch your head to dust trying to make sense of the alphabet syndicate functions. It's literally payola similar to the music industry back in the day, pay to be played. You cannot have faith in the bodies who talk from both sides of their mouths and refuse to enforce their own orders and functions. Like "hibernation" champions aka Charlo and ordering two guys to fight...who then refuse honest negotiations...but they are allowed to stay in the very top ranks. You have the Ibf that keep floater spots at 1 or/and 2 literally named "not ranked". The wbo is notorious for parachuting fighters into premier slots or title shots at higher weight classes they have never fought in. Oh and the wbc dropped Ngannou from 10 to now 24th after AJ pulverized him. He served his purpose . Hey maybe we are making progress though...at least we don't have the wba ranking deceased fighters anymore like they did in 2015.

Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

It would definitely be early to post in a thread without even first reading the opening post but seeing who started the thread in conjunction with the title of the thread I will go out on a limb here and say that little ginger or maybe little cinnamon would be among the first mentions that the OP would mention followed by a perhaps some kind of mention of Mexican fighters.

If I'm really far off I might delete this post, but in any case I will now go and read the opening salvo.

Edit: oh yes indeed I did quickly come across both the ginger cinnamon mention and to be fair quite a bit farther down in the post he mentioned about Mexican boxers getting a boost😆 but it was a great thread and the OP did elucidate quite a few things that are wrong with the great sport and how ironically the greatness of the sport has sort of fostered it.
    Last edited by NoSavingByTheBell; 03-30-2024 at 04:49 AM.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by NoSavingByTheBell View Post
    It would definitely be early to post in a thread without even first reading the opening post but seeing who started the thread in conjunction with the title of the thread I will go out on a limb here and say that little ginger or maybe little cinnamon would be among the first mentions that the OP would mention followed by a perhaps some kind of mention of Mexican fighters.

If I'm really far off I might delete this post, but in any case I will now go and read the opening salvo.

Edit: oh yes indeed I did quickly come across both the ginger cinnamon mention and to be fair quite a bit farther down in the post he mentioned about Mexican boxers getting a boost😆 but it was a great thread and the OP did elucidate quite a few things that are wrong with the great sport and how ironically the greatness of the sport has sort of fostered it.

Actually bro... as strange as it may sound... my inspiration for the thread was actually the Adrien Broner thread and reading about his current rankings... coupled with the whole Francis Ngannou saga.

But yeah... you know me well enough that I'm not gonna pass up an opportunity to dump on my "favorite" redhead.

Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by TitoFan View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by NoSavingByTheBell View Post

Actually bro... as strange as it may sound... my inspiration for the thread was actually the Adrien Broner thread and reading about his current rankings... coupled with the whole Francis Ngannou saga.

But yeah... you know me well enough that I'm not gonna pass up an opportunity to dump on my "favorite" redhead.
    You know at the beginning I thought that he was going for all time great status even though I was not quite sold on him but over the past couple of years it has become painfully clear that he will never make that kind of category and he has become such a coddled little shit.

Adrian broner? What a piece of work this guy has always been. From the very beginning with all his channeling of Floyd Mayweather I just could never stand this person. Remember when he beat up a customer outside of a circle k convenience store in Albuquerque New Mexico a few years back? What an absolute loser.

A professional boxer throwing a combination to the Head of a shopper. Yeah what great judgment and character.
    Last edited by NoSavingByTheBell; 03-30-2024 at 07:51 PM.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

It's easy to forget and gets glossed over what a shady CF this really was back in 97' pre social media 24/7. Sooo close to bankrupting the wbc https://www.espn.com/boxing/news/2002/0921/1434892.html

Thread Information