Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Ruiz In Retrospect...

Ruiz In Retrospect...

Well Nikolay Valuev has finally freed us of the clutches of John Ruiz.
    Will John decide to retire ? We'll see. Rumor has it that Valuev is going
    to defend against fringe contender Owen Beck instead of giving John a
    rematch. In a lot of these cases money talks and bullshit walks. If John
    does decide to retire here is a little retrospect on his career. No John was
    far from exciting. He gave a new meaning to the phrase "Winning Ugly".
    But...He won.
    He was a major player in the heavyweight picture for a long time. He beat
    a lot of fighters that on paper he should have lost to. Holyfield, Kirk
    Johnson, Fres Oquendo and Andrew Golota come to mind.
    What I am leading up to is that John made the most out of his raw ability
    and his gameness. Yes he was out boxed by Roy Jones Jr. and out foxed by a
    possibly " juiced " James Toney. Throw the Tua debacle out the window. If
    John Ruiz had nothing else, he had balls !
    The job of a manager is to make the most money he can for his fighter by
    matching his man with other men he feels can be beaten. The manager's job is
    to manuver his charge up through the ratings at a minimal risk. If his boxer
    is fortunate enough to gain a high ranking and secure a title shot, then the
    manager has done well.
    If the fighter is fortunate enough to actually win a title then it is up
    to the manager to try and keep his charge as champion for as long as
    possible by matching him with boxers that are competetive enough to secure a
    decent payday. The trick here is not to overmatch your boxer unless the
    payday is just too much to pass up.
    I don't know for sure how much control Norman "Stoney' Stone had in the
    overall making of John's matches, but I'm sure his voice was heard. I know
    Mr. Stone is not the most popular man with the press, etc...Still you have
    to give him his do. By all accounts John Ruiz should retire a very wealthy
    man. Add to that the fact that he was never matched with Lennox Lewis.
    John is a lucky man. "Stoney" did his job well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Ruiz In Retrospect...

good post

I always thought Ruiz got alot of undeserved slack.
    fair enough his style is not entertaining but he never ducked anyone
    better than alot of other HW out there at present

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by LarryB
    good post

I always thought Ruiz got alot of undeserved slack.
    fair enough his style is not entertaining but he never ducked anyone
    better than alot of other HW out there at present
    He didn't need to duck because he was always hugging the life out of his opponent and stopping them from throwing any punches.....oh I see what you mean.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by ja
    Ruiz In Retrospect...

John is a lucky man. "Stoney" did his job well.

its nice to read a sensible and well thought out arguement.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I remember a while back someone made a post about everyone pinching in a little bit of money so we could hire a hitman to kill Ruiz..... Even if he retires I believe this to be a great idea and we should go through with it!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

*pitching!

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Nice article ........... but I'm afraid that I don't agree.

I think Ruiz was the least charismatic and able heavyweight titleholder that there has ever been. I think that even Frank Bruno, Michael Moorer and Primo Carnera would have beaten him (but would then have had to end their careers because The Quiet Plaintiff would have found an excuse to pursue them through the courts). John should have been locked up for impersonating a fighter.

Ruiz did not have one solid attribute that you could mention him on in a 'Build the best composite fighter' thread. Average size, average speed, average technique, average power. Everything about him is boring - his nickname is the Quiet Man, for Christ sake that's the nickname of a failed politician in the UK. His first name is JOHN - that's boring (apologies to all you Johns out there, but I hope you appreciate my point). Ruiz' claim to fame is that he was the first Hispanic heavyweight titleholder, and I am sorry but to be known primarily for what race you are does not really suggest that there is much else you have that is above average!

The World Heavyweight Champion is not supposed to be boring, he is not supposed to resort to courts when he loses. He is not supposed to be a human octopus in the ring.

This oaf is, as you say, going to retire an extremely wealthy man after having risen to new heights of mediocrity, demeaning the great sport which has served HIM so well.

I didn't hear that he has retired - but good riddance is he has. If you post an address of where to send money for the hit man I am up for it.
    If God wanted us to be vegetarians, why are animals made of meat ?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

i thought he was a bum--he beat golota, rahman, oquendo (by kayo). --all that means is that those three guys are bigger bums than him---which i can live with---especially rahman who is the number one bum in the division

throw out the holyfield fights b/c holy was shot by the time john got to him--john cant put him on his resume anymore than larry holmes and trevor berbick can put ali on theirs. plus john lost one of those fights and the third fight he nearly got kayoed in the last round or two......plus as we know, tua embarrassed him plus he had other losses to nondescript guys like the late sergei kobazev and i think journeyman dannell nicholson. plus he got embarrassed by two former middleweights who were past their respective primes even..........

so really what did he do? he beat a half dead holy (and drew and lost to the same half dead holy), he beat golota who was way past his best when the fought and is a choke artsit in big fights anyway, plus golota nearly had him kayoed, he beat rahman who is just a modern day buster douglas living off one hail mary shot he threw 5 years ago--rahamn might be the most overrated guy today or perhaps all time --we saw what a piece of junk he was in the toney fight--plus rahman looked like he was 30lbs overweight anyway when he fought ruiz...........oquendo is a never was and a smallish HW anyway...he git a little push there a couple years ago but hes not really a good fighter anyway.....kirk johnson was also overhyped--we've all seen what a fat disgusting waste of space kirk is so i dont think john can take a whole lotta credit for that win

i think the losses to the two journeymen in kobazev and nicholson and the flat out embarrassments to tua, toney, jones, and most recently with valuev (ok theres an argument he may have won, but it wasnt highway robbery and if u cant get by a joke sideshow like valuev in a easy fashion---than u suck as a fighter)---far outweigh anything positive ruiz did in the ring..he was just an oppurtunist who got lucky to be fighting in the right era and fighting the right guys at the right time (ie overweight fatties like johnson and rahman, washed up guys like golota and softies like fres).......goodbye and good riddance if he does retire

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think people are missing the point but good posts all round.. I hate Ruiz, everyone hates Ruiz and he no doubt doesnt deserve the money he has earned in the ring, simply because noone has ever paid a cent to watch him fight.. But the point is that his manager did do a great job, and he as well, made the absolute most out of what he had. People paid money to see him get his ass beat, but for a while, it didn't happen, and if it did his manager was still able to somehow get the title back. He certainly is lucky.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by raleights
    I remember a while back someone made a post about everyone pinching in a little bit of money so we could hire a hitman to kill Ruiz..... Even if he retires I believe this to be a great idea and we should go through with it!
    too funny...lmao

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by X
    Ruiz did not have one solid attribute that you could mention him on in a 'Build the best composite fighter' thread. Average size, average speed, average technique, average power. Everything about him is boring - his nickname is the Quiet Man, for Christ sake that's the nickname of a failed politician in the UK. His first name is JOHN - that's boring (apologies to all you Johns out there, but I hope you appreciate my point). Ruiz' claim to fame is that he was the first Hispanic heavyweight titleholder, and I am sorry but to be known primarily for what race you are does not really suggest that there is much else you have that is above average!
    loller
    cc. Very much enjoyed reading that paragraph.
    And I gotta agree.
    It's guys like him who turned myself, and many others, off of the HW division completely.
    Can't think of one positive thing he brings to the sport.

Thread Information