Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Top Officials on Floyd-Zab melee! Oh how the plot thickens!

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Top Officials on Floyd-Zab melee! Oh how the plot thickens!

Top Officials on Floyd-Zab melee!

April 12, 2006

By Karl Freitag

http://www.fightnews.com/freitag225.htm

We all saw how the tenth round melee in the Floyd Mayweather-Zab Judah fight played out last Saturday. After Judah fouled Mayweather with a low blow followed by an illegal rabbit punch, referee Richard Steele halted the action. Floyd's uncle trainer Roger Mayweather then entered the ring followed Leonard Ellerbe, and Judah's father/trainer Yoel Judah. It appears on video that Yoel threw the first punch. Floyd stayed out of the fray, but Zab waded in and began throwing punches. More cornermen and police poured into the ring and it took several minutes to restore order. To get an interesting perspective on what went on, see our exclusive melee gallery.
    In the aftermath, Roger Mayweather was ejected from ringside, but neither Ellerbe or Yoel Judah were removed. Nor was Judah deducted points for the rabbit punch or for throwing punches during the fracas. Judah's promoter Don King argued in vain that Mayweather should have been disqualified the moment Roger Mayweather entered the ring. However, Nevada rules do not require that a referee disqualify a fighter if his cornerman enters the ring. "It is up to the discretion of the referee," explains outgoing Executive Director Marc Ratner.

After seeing how the Nevada officials handled the situation, we thought it would be interesting to see how top officials with other commissions would have dealt with a cornerperson entering the ring during a fight.

BUDDY EMBANATO
    Chairman, Louisiana State Boxing & Wrestling Commission

In Louisiana the referee ** may ** disqualify a boxer if someone unauthorized (from his camp) enters the ring.

JACOB E. HALL
    Commissioner, Indiana State Boxing Commission

"No persons other than the contestants and the referee may enter the ring during the progress of the round."

"The chief official of contests shall be the referee who shall have general supervision over the matches and shall take position in the ring."

These two rules would be used in Indiana to determine if a fight should be stopped based on the facts occurring at that time.

LARRY HAZZARD
    Commissioner, New Jersey Athletic Control Board

If this situation had happened in N.J. Floyd Mayweather would have been disqualified. It's a universally accepted fact that if a cornerman enters the ring or even mounts the ring apron during a bout, it shall be cause for immediate disqualification.

JOSEF MASON
    Director, Colorado State Boxing Commission

14.003 Entering Ring: If the chief second or anyone for whom he/she is responsible enters the ring before the bell ending the round has sounded, the contestant ** may ** be disqualified and the violator subject to disciplinary action as determined by the Office.

I believe we would have fined all violators and allowed the fight to continue. It is not an automatic disqualification in Colorado. We will look at this rule and make clarifications if needed.

MIKE MAZZULI
    Manager, Mohegan Tribe Department Of Athletic Regulation

Yes it is [an automatic disqualification], but remember the referee stopped the action and called time due to the low blow by Judah. Therefore, the action taken was correct. I would have handled the situation just like they did.

BERNIE PROFATO
    Executive Director, Ohio Athletic Commission

In Ohio's rules, it states that no one but the referee and the fighters may enter the ring. The referee may, in their discretion, stop a contest if an unauthorized person enters the ring during a round. This is left up to the discretion of the referee.

Being a former referee I believe it is very difficult to disqualify a fighter for someone entering the ring during a time out. However if it is during the bout, either coming onto the apron of the ring or the ring itself would signify the same as when they used to throw the towel in to stop a fight. The fight would automatically be over and their fighter would lose.

Since there was "time called" in this case ONLY if the person entering the ring would have refused to leave, would the fighter then be in jeopardy of having the fight forfeited. In our state I believe the commission would take appropriate action against the person who was in violation, that being the person who entered the ring. They would be fined and suspended in FightFax for the maximum amount of time. Also in this case, the referee may have well ejected any other unauthorized individuals in the ring.

Coming in the ring to assist when there is already an altercation is basically the same as in basketball when anyone who leaves the bench and comes onto the floor to assist is ejected and suspended. However the game is not forfeited. Rules are guidelines and unless the rule would specifically say if anyone enters the ring their fighter would automatically be disqualified, then it's up to the discretion of the referee. Maybe after this incident we may have to re-consider some different options, after the final outcome is decided. This is just my opinion and not that of the commission.

GREG SIRB
    Executive Director, Pennsylvania Athletic Commission

{A cornerman entering the ring] is not an automatic disqualification. It is up to the referee.

As regards to the low blow - the ref first must determine if it was accidental or intentional: if accidental - then five minutes of rest - then boxer that was hit must continue or he shall loose the fight. ABC rules state that a boxer cannot win by claiming injury from a accidental low blow.

If Mayweather was to say that he could not continue because of the "rabbit punch" then, if ruled accidental you go to the scorecards if four rounds or more have been completed. If ruled intentional - then five-minutes rest, and points should be deducted - ABC Uniformed rules state if a foul causes an injury (which it did in this case) a two-point deduction should be given - also if Mayweather could not continue than Judah would have lost by disqualification.

RON SCOTT STEVENS
    Chairman/New York State Athletic Commission

I gave thought to what the NYSAC would have done and here's what raced through my mind at the moment. Incidentally, I mentioned this to Marc Ratner earlier today and I shared this view: I told Marc that I thought, had that happened in New York, that we would have "disqualified" both boxers based on the entirety of the episode. Marc didn't disagree with me and shared with me that my view was certainly valid, again based on the totality of the incident.

With regards as to an automatic suspension when a cornerman enters the ring, NY Rules and Regulations prohibit a second from entering the ring during the progress of any round but it does not require an automatic suspension. The referee and the NYSAC have broad discretion over penalizing licensees for violations of the laws and rules. A licensee may have his license suspended or revoked "in the judgment of the commission, [he/she has] been guilty of an act detrimental to the interests of boxing...generally or to the public interest, convenience or necessity."

Never beg a 40 dollar hooker...specially after she's just turned down your mom's credit card!!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Top Officials on Floyd-Zab melee! Oh how the plot thickens!

im not tht hot on the rules involving this but the ref had actually stopped the fight to allow floyd to recover therefore roger coming into the ring isnt an automatic disqualitificaton as the fight wasnt in progress

Thread Information