Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Floyd Mayweather is better than Roy Jones Jr.

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Floyd Mayweather is better than Roy Jones Jr.

I'm talkin' about Roy when he was still Roy.

Let it be told that the Griffin rematch was because Roy hit Griffin when Griffin was on one knee, he wouldn't have lasted another round and Roy showed it by picking up right where he left off in the easy blow out rematch.

Mayweather's rematch is because someone actually gave him a good fight.

& you can say what you want but Mayweather will never have names of PRIME HOFers
    like Toney, B-Hop and McCallum (thanks Taeth, forgot that one) on his resume.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Why is this sooo hard to understand?

Mayweather is a good boxer no doubt but Ali and RJJ are in different leagues!!!

PBF is technically sound and taught to be that way. Great boxers combine technique and raw talent. There is nothing that PBF does that makes me go "WOW". That is the difference.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by *Lights*out*

PBF is technically sound and taught to be that way. Great boxers combine technique and raw talent. There is nothing that PBF does that makes me go "WOW". That is the difference.
    And he should be punished for not realizing this and coming out with the words, "I'm good, just not as good as them - Don't listen to Bob Arum"

O well, we'll have to wait till Ricky makes him say it

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

So because he doesn't make you go wow, that means he can't be a great?

I'm not gonna take away RJJ's wins just to prove that PBF is better because beating Toney, Hopkins, and McCallum(old) is an accoplishment. But PBF also has an impresive resume: Hernandez, Chavez, Castillo (twice), Corrales (and Judah).

RJJ is an athletic phenom but boxing is not basketball, or football, you need more than athleticism. RJJ never got hit because of his physical gifts whereas PBF rarely gets hit because of great skill. What happened to Roy when his physical gifts started to fade just a little?

Another thing is the question about Floyd's chin never been tested. Make sure you watch the Castillo fights. One particular shot in the first fight where Castillo connects with a full leverage shot right at the point of the chin while PBF runs into it would have KO'd many fighters. Castillo is a one-punch KO guy with 47 KO's in 54 fights.

Now about the Judah fight. Most boxing fans know that fighters who depend on their speed have trouble with guys who can match their speed. Judah could match PBF's speed and for 4 rounds he did well, but what happened when PBF figured him out? He loses 3 straight rounds to a man who could match his speed but then just dominated therafter. What else can you ask of this man?

BTW, PBF is still going strong and at this pace I don't see him losing to Hatton, Margarito, DLH, or Mosley. When he beats all these guys that are put in front of him, what will people say then? I know he's not comparable to Ali right now but if he gets past all these guys then he has to be mentioned.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

If Floyd can beat all the top contenders without tarnishing his undefeated record. He will undoubtedly be one of the greatest fighters in his era and arguably be the the best of all time. And yes "He will be better than roy." and the chance is still there for those who are open minded. Let's face it roy is all done right now. He may win two or three fights but no one cares anymore.. I for one follows and admired roy's career through the years. This guy ruled at his comfortable weight thru his superior handspeed,power and physical prowess when no one can match it at that era. But by moving at a higher weight class he has lost his speed and power superiority. and as a result it exposes roy's weakness of being a unintelligent fighter, has poor defense and a glass jaw. He has yet to realize that dropping both of his hands is a no.. no.. in boxing and he was able to do this before bacause he was far agile and have better reflex than his opponents but his current weight class won't give him that advantage anymore thus he needs to adjust according to it. exposing his chin is just exposing his misfortune in every fight. Look at the tarver fight. Roy still has superior handspeed against tarver but then tarver has a superior reflex than roy. It doesn't matter how fast or how much volume of punches roy sneaks to him because tarver sees his punches coming when and where. Now, if tarver would have fought roy at his comfortable weight, Tarver's reflex wouldn't be enough to see roy's punches coming thru. And he would have been knocked out. But that's just "IF" and what if during roy's dominating era met a fighter like Juan manuel marquez who is a sharpshooter and has a superior reflex than he has?.. I don't think those dropping of hands will work for roy anymore.. And a tarver event would instantly reinact.

Floyd's career is just blossoming, He is not yet as great as roy, accomplishment wise, But roy's career is all done and floyds has yet to prove his greatness by beating all the top contenders. Again if he can do this without tarnishing his undefeated record, There is no reason why floyd is not better than roy. And personally, I think he is. Because he may not be as physically gifted as roy; his athletecism is not bad at all. Moreover, he is far more intelligent and technically sound than roy and being smart plays a big role most specially as you grow old. If you are not convinced about zab's Unanimous Defeat what's the fuss let them have a rematch. Even the greatest boxers of all time experience some inconvicing and not so imposing victories and sometimes loses and yet they come back and prove there point. lets face it, amongst the fighters right now, Floyd has all the potential to be the greatest with his untarnished record,great athletecism combined with a complete package of boxing skills, charisma, age, professionalism and all. Btw,I would also love manny paquiao to go down as one of all time greats though. I wish him luck harnishing his boxing ability and not just be contented being a power puncher. It will do him well as he grows old and he can do it because he is smart and is willing to adjust according to his opponents. ^_^

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by FLH2o
    I'm talkin' about Roy when he was still Roy.

Let it be told that the Griffin rematch was because Roy hit Griffin when Griffin was on one knee, he wouldn't have lasted another round and Roy showed it by picking up right where he left off in the easy blow out rematch.

Mayweather's rematch is because someone actually gave him a good fight.

& you can say what you want but Mayweather will never have names of PRIME HOFers
    like Toney, B-Hop and McCallum (thanks Taeth, forgot that one) on his resume.
    Roy Jones Jr. would have won the first fight with Griffin, but he was losing on points and only Griffin's weak chin saved him... He couldn't figure out Griffin because of how awkward Griffin was and he used his jab.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Ali was not in a different league... I think he had close fights with alot of fighters that shouldn't have even made him breath hard. He didn't have the talent of either Mayweather or Roy Jones Jr. its just most heavyweights in his time were slow asses.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Granted Griffin troubled Roy but once he figured him out it was all over.

I think people forget the rematch was a 1st rd TKO.

That's pretty amazing when you consider Griffin beat Toney twice.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I don't know if you are related to PBF, but there is no other reason in this world why anyone else outside of family would consider him better then RJJ. I wont even bother going into details that have already been said plenty in here. But what were you thinking when you posted this? come on.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Floyd can fight on the inside better than Jones ever could.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by FLH2o
    Toney>Castillo

Hopkins>Corrales

Ruiz>Judah

Griffin>Gatti ...etc.

Roy=bigger, faster, stronger and generally more gifted

+ you have no idea that Mayweather's chin is better because he's never been hit with anything close to the shots that dropped OLD, SLOW Roy
    Exactly and (old slow RJJ) before then when was he embarrassed. I don't remember.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Gyrokai
    Floyd can fight on the inside better than Jones ever could.
    have yet to see a 60 punch combination by PBF. Or 10 straight left hooks in under 4 seconds

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Y'all musta forgot

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

OK You guys can believe what you want.

But let me say this. RJJ faught at 154-200lbs while PBF only faught guys from 130-147lbs. When he can dominate welterweight and middle weight then give me a call.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I am a floyd and roy jones fan but right now jones is still far ahead of PBF.
    "Very few people really understand what it means to be a fighter. I hate it when I hear someone say, 'That fighter doesn't have guts. I hate that, I don't care if you're a world champion six times over or a four-round fighter, to step inside that ring, you have to have guts" Oscar De La Hoya

Thread Information