Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Floyd Mayweather is better than Roy Jones Jr.

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Floyd Mayweather is better than Roy Jones Jr.

Floyd beat better competition than Roy Jones Jr. He stepped up and fought whoever was there. Still, he remained undefeated. Bob Arum says that he thinks he is the best fighter since Muhammad Ali.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Floyd Mayweather is better than Roy Jones Jr.

floyd needs a few more fights b4 he can even be considered in the same breath as ali, he nds to beat tony m ,hatton,cotto,odlh,and i think zab again to even b considerd an all time great at his weight, let alone p4p, hes not fit o lace alis boots, an im not a floyd hater but he nds to step up an start fightin the top guys ,not guys who usedto be at the top(zab,sharmba,gatti) last 3.
    P.s arum sucks ****

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Excuse me. Floyd is already an All-Time Great. Not like Ali - but fought better boxers than Roy Jones.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

how dare you put this post up. i think we should ban u

Floyd Mayweather is better than Roy Jones Jr

what the hell

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Are YOU FLIPPEN MAD

Roy Jones was incredible!!!!ALI was INCREDIBLE!!!!!Mayweather is a good boxer, that is it. You have a lot of nerve to post this garbage. By your way of thinking KT is better then roy jones too.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Floyd isn't physically gifted enough to be mentioned in the same sentence as Roy, but hey thats just my opinion :\

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Floyd is "not yet" better than roy jones jr. But if you want to compare there advantage and disadvantages, there are qualities which in my personal opinion floyd is better than roy. Here is the possible advantages and disadvantages of this two boxers.

RJJ: Superior handspeed: Due to this he has a luxury to put down both of his hands and lure the "slower" boxer to punch inside and just counter them visciously we've seen someone who possess this style before and that is naseem hamed. He dominated other boxer partly due to this advantage and the other one is power.

Power: RJJ I believed has more power than Floyd and it showed in the qualities of his knockdown wins. He has more one punch knockdown and floyd needs a combination of one to four inorder to knock "majority" of his opponents down.

Stamina: Floyd has an slight advantage on this one because he is more intelligent boxer than roy and he will use it partly to conserve his energy knowing when and where is the right time to expend his power. It is not a question if both of them can reach round 12 without being knocked down because it is not a problem for both of them. But it matters how there power,handspeed,reflex, and other factors would play when fatigue comes and because floyd has more of it I can see the handspeed of roy "closely levelling" with floyd at the end of the fight.

DEFENSE "Chin": Floyd is handsdown has a better advantage in this area. Credit goes to his perfect defensive style, intelligence and partly innately born with granite chin. Roy is not to say a glass jaw himself but his defensive style really sucks and relied solely on his counter attacks and superior handspeed against his slower opponents and that is the main contributor of his knockdowns, "HE is WIDE OPEN" and forgot that he is no longer the roy jones at lower weights when he dominated them by his superior handspeed, power and great reflex. When he fought Tarver the reason of his knockdowns were not that tarver is faster and has a wide margin of power against roy, but because roy is once again " just plainly WIDE OPEN" and that tarver has a greater "REFLEX" than him.

Intelligence: Roy eventhough has greater experience than floyd is really dumb defensively, forgets that at a higher weight class he will become slower and opponents can catch up with him and with superior reflex like Tarver's, his slightly faster handspeed is no longer an advantage and with his hands lowered down on his body thinking that he can lure down and counter tarvers punches anytime like he used to; has yet to make him realize it's impossible to someone who has superior reflex opponents like tarver.

Experience: Roy clearly has more experience than floyd but since floyd is more intelligent than roy. Experience may just play a little part or no effect at all.

Reflex: Mayweather has a better reflex than roy. And can adjust as round goes by. People tend to get confuse about reflex and handspeed. ok here is an example: Handspeed is the quickness of your hands delivering punches, while reflex is the quickness of your "reaction" to the punches that you may recieve. So it is not to say that if you have superior handspeed then you have a superior reflex. That is not always the case here. Some boxer can react faster so when an opponent is slightly faster then him he can dodge his attacks and mount good defense accordingly. And some very gifted reflex boxers like juan manuel marquez,mayweather,and also roy jones jr. can see there punches coming and react to it offensively thru counter punching. But the degree of reflex with every boxers differs and it will show as round goes by, particularly, when fatigue comes into play. Roy's reflex is great during his time in the lower weights when he dominated it he clearly possesses a great reflex . However, not as great as mayweather's which will show as round goes by and this will play a major factor in there pound for pound fight fantasy. as it will cancel out the slightly faster handspeed of roy.

In conclusion: Floyd is not yet better than roy. And it still stands, but floyd can put a good fight against roy and I wouldn't be surprised if floyd wins. After all, the weakness of roy is someone who has a superior reflex and intelligence than he is which can cancel out his faster handspeed. But then again, It is still how roy can handle his superior qualities and put it into play against floyd. If floyd would get overwhelmed by it he will surely lose. On the otherhand, If floyd can maintain composure and adjust to roy's style as round goes by and uses more intelligence it will be a big trouble for roy.

Good thing for floyd right now is that he has begun to open his arms and willing to fight any available top contending fighters. And if he is honest and is willing to risk everything that he has right now on any adversity he may face because he truly believes in his potential. That is a sign of greatness.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

He just said Mayweather has better reflexes than RJ. All I know is you're smoking crack thats mucho better than mine, cause I have yet to say anything like that after I hit the pipe.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by sleeplessrevolution
    Floyd is "not yet" better than roy jones jr. But if you want to compare there advantage and disadvantages, there are qualities which in my personal opinion floyd is better than roy. Here is the possible advantages and disadvantages of this two boxers.

RJJ: Superior handspeed: Due to this he has a luxury to put down both of his hands and lure the "slower" boxer to punch inside and just counter them visciously we've seen someone who possess this style before and that is naseem hamed. He dominated other boxer partly due to this advantage and the other one is power.

Power: RJJ I believed has more power than Floyd and it showed in the qualities of his knockdown wins. He has more one punch knockdown and floyd needs a combination of one to four inorder to knock "majority" of his opponents down.

Stamina: Floyd has an slight advantage on this one because he is more intelligent boxer than roy and he will use it partly to conserve his energy knowing when and where is the right time to expend his power. It is not a question if both of them can reach round 12 without being knocked down because it is not a problem for both of them. But it matters how there power,handspeed,reflex, and other factors would play when fatigue comes and because floyd has more of it I can see the handspeed of roy "closely levelling" with floyd at the end of the fight.

DEFENSE "Chin": Floyd is handsdown has a better advantage in this area. Credit goes to his perfect defensive style, intelligence and partly innately born with granite chin. Roy is not to say a glass jaw himself but his defensive style really sucks and relied solely on his counter attacks and superior handspeed against his slower opponents and that is the main contributor of his knockdowns, "HE is WIDE OPEN" and forgot that he is no longer the roy jones at lower weights when he dominated them by his superior handspeed, power and great reflex. When he fought Tarver the reason of his knockdowns were not that tarver is faster and has a wide margin of power against roy, but because roy is once again " just plainly WIDE OPEN" and that tarver has a greater "REFLEX" than him.

Intelligence: Roy eventhough has greater experience than floyd is really dumb defensively, forgets that at a higher weight class he will become slower and opponents can catch up with him and with superior reflex like Tarver's, his slightly faster handspeed is no longer an advantage and with his hands lowered down on his body thinking that he can lure down and counter tarvers punches anytime like he used to; has yet to make him realize it's impossible to someone who has superior reflex opponents like tarver.

Experience: Roy clearly has more experience than floyd but since floyd is more intelligent than roy. Experience may just play a little part or no effect at all.

Reflex: Mayweather clearly has a better reflex than roy. And can adjust as round goes by. Not to say roy's reflex is not great at all but during his time in the lower weights when he dominated it he clearly possesses a great reflex . However, not as great as mayweather's and this will play a major factor in there pound for pound fight fantasy. as it will cancel out the slightly faster handspeed of roy.

In conclusion: Floyd is not yet better than roy. And it still stands, but floyd can put a good fight against roy and I wouldn't be surprised if floyd wins. After all, the weakness of roy is someone who has a superior reflex and intelligence than he is which can cancel out his faster handspeed. But then again, It is still how roy can handle his superior qualities and put it into play against floyd. If floyd would get overwhelmed by it he will surely lose. On the otherhand, If floyd can maintain composure and adjust to roy's style as round goes by and uses more intelligence it will be a big trouble for roy.

Good thing for floyd right now is that he has begun to open his arms and willing to fight any available top contending fighters. And if he is honest and is willing to risk everything that he has right now on any adversity he may face because he truly believes in his potential. That is a sign of greatness.

I hope you're not comparing the damaged roy with the roy we all grew up with an watched. If roy has no defence the why would he get hit less then 20 times in most of his fights. He has ko power combined with speed and agility. He was born with these gifts and Mayweather will never learn how to be like roy was. Mayweather is an experienced boxer and trains extremely hard to get to where he is. He's not born with any extraordinary gifts like Ali and RJJ. He's a puppet.

Roy made james toney and Hopkins look like amateurs in their prime and look what they've accomplished. Roy was magic!

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Bob Arum is a fool. Does he not remember the 1980's? Is he seriously calling Floyd Mayweather better then some of the best p4p fighters of all time; Ray Leonard, Thomas Hearns, Roberto Duran, Marvin Hagler, Julio Cesar Chavez, Roy Jones Jr, Alexis Arguello etc because he beat Zab Judah?!?!?!

I guess Carlos Baldomir must be the second coming of Marvin Hagler then

It's not hard to tell that I'm a Mayweather fan, but who has he beat other then Judah in 4 years? Gatti? Please. He's had a very good career so far and his skills expand farther then the eye can see but he really hasn't beat anyone other then Judah after moving from 135. I'm not holding that against him because he is only 29 and has a lot of time in the ring agead of him but let's wait a decade or so before we start saying he's better then any of the fighters I mentioned, Bob. I can't beleive Arum would say that. He was the one who gave us those super fights of the 80's with Hearns, Hagler and Leonard.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

They're saying these thing to create more hype for the young fans that never watched these amazing fighters. It's all about money and HBO is clinging for their life. They make mayweather look like he's the greatest because boxing is in a slump right now. Talent is hard to find and it is hurting the sport.

When it comes down to it. It's all about the MONEY!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by *Lights*out*
    They're saying these thing to create more hype for the young fans that never watched these amazing fighters. It's all about money and HBO is clinging for their life. They make mayweather look like he's the greatest because boxing is in a slump right now. Talent is hard to find and it is hurting the sport.

When it comes down to it. It's all about the MONEY!!!
    It's in a slump cause they havn't seen Saddo's boxers in action!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Yeah Mayweather is better than RJJ. This is boxing, not a compare-and-contrast with who was born more athletic. RJJ has the physical athleticism, inlcuding reflexes, that Mayweather doesn't poses but since when is boxing only about athleticism.

Mayweather has a chin, which Jones doesn't have. A good chin is a vital factor in deciding how good you'll do in boxing. RJJ had the convinience of barely ever getting hit flush. Mayweather has perfected boxing, while Jones mostly depended on his gifts.

I'm not gonna call Mayweather an all time great yet but if he beats the guys that fans and critics are putting in front of him, then yeah he'll be a great. And what's this stuff about him not having fought the best out there, he has, but once he beat those, there wasn't much competition left.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Hi there, Roy is the best in his comfortable weight. No question about that but not to say he can't be beaten. He hasn't just met someone who could cancel out his speed and physical prowess during his time. Because clearly he has dominated that era thru that qualities. His defense is not good because his hands are lackadaisically lowered down and he can afford to do this because he has no opponent can match his superior speed and reflex aduring that time. But what if he met someone like for example juan manuel marquez who is sharpshooter and clearly has superior refflex than he has. I don't think lowering both his hands down would just give him 20 less hits in a fight. However, floyd is of different breed than roy as a fighter. and yes he is extraordinary too. Although roy's imposing speed,power and physically prowess in his time is the main reason of greatness. Floyd is more of a complete fighter than roy will ever be. Floyd, has speed,good power,physical prowess,stamina,great reflex, and more so far more intelligent than roy. I think one area of why roy is partly that great is his showmanship in the ring. I have to admit iam an a rjj fan through the years and he is more fun to watch in the ring than floyd which results in adding more hype in him as a fighter. But that's just it, and he is all done now. and I hope he will use more of his god given intelligence in his future fights and learn the lesson that he can't lower both of his hands defensively like he use to in the lower weights. because this time he is doen's have that superior handspeed like he use to have. And for Floyd, He has yet to prove his greatness, by Beating all the top contenders.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by sleeplessrevolution

Reflex: Mayweather has a better reflex than roy. And can adjust as round goes by. People tend to get confuse about reflex and handspeed. ok here is an example: Handspeed is the quickness of your hands delivering punches, while reflex is the quickness of your "reaction" to the punches that you may recieve. So it is not to say that if you have superior handspeed then you have a superior reflex. That is not always the case here. Some boxer can react faster so when an opponent is slightly faster then him he can dodge his attacks and mount good defense accordingly. And some very gifted reflex boxers like juan manuel marquez,mayweather,and also roy jones jr. can see there punches coming and react to it offensively thru counter punching. But the degree of reflex with every boxers differs and it will show as round goes by, particularly, when fatigue comes into play. Roy's reflex is great during his time in the lower weights when he dominated it he clearly possesses a great reflex . However, not as great as mayweather's which will show as round goes by and this will play a major factor in there pound for pound fight fantasy. as it will cancel out the slightly faster handspeed of roy.

:coolclick" for you. Floyd's record speaks better. This is not a comparison of who is the quickest and/or most athletic. Good point.

Thread Information