Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Billy Graham(Hatton's trainer)-"We want Mayweather"

Billy Graham: "We want Mayweather"

Ricky Hatton's trainer, Billy Graham, is hardly the most charming of people. He snarls rather than speaks, and every other word he utters is an expletive. He looks like the type of bloke you would probably avoid down the pub; the angry looking, shaved head type, ready to argue with anyone, and quick to disagree.

Graham does not really listen to what is said to him, rather he talks about what he wants, and answers questions he thinks should have been asked.

But, he is a fine trainer, and the type of person you would want in your corner. He has honed Ricky Hatton into an awesome fighting machine with his training methods, and he is one of the most respected trainers in the game because of it.

"I wasn't keen at all, why would I be?" said Graham irritably when asked about Hatton's upcoming fight with Luis Collazo. "My kid is Light Welterweight champion of the world, I am kind of reluctant to have him fight a welterweight southpaw who is a mover, and the objective of it all is to look good, as it is for the American public."

"He is the worst type of opponent," he continued. "I would have to be brain dead to not show my concerns about it. But, my concern was never, never that I though he could beat Ricky Hatton," he says emphatically, responding to members of the press who have read into his protests at taking this bout.

"Ricky Hatton could beat anyone at his weight in the world. The fight's on, we just got to deal with it."

How will he deal with a tall rangy southpaw in training?

"I know how to deal with a southpaw," he says flatly. "Ricky's got the tools to deal with a southpaw."

Does Hatton maintain his power and strength at 147?

"Absolutely".

Why this fight, and not someone slightly less difficult?

"It's the fight we were told to take."

Who would he have preferred?

"I'd prefer to fight Mayweather, because everyone thinks that Mayweather is the pound for pound best fighter in the world. It's Mayweather that we want", he opens up.

And how would he see that fight panning out?

"I see Ricky winning",

Too much pressure?

"Yeah, I think he'd put too much pressure on Mayweather. I think he is too intense, not just that, you can't beat Mayweather with just intensity, he is a genius, a wicked talent, but he's got flaws the same as anyone else, the same as Kostya Tszyu. My kid's a great fighter. It's not just his intensity and pressure which is of course what he brings," he says.

"He's a lot more than that, he has educated shots, he can read a fighter well, he's as quick as lightening himself, great foot work. He's a lot more than just intensity and pressure, but that would be a big part of it."

What flaws does Graham see in Mayweather?

"I see loads of flaws in him," he replies bluntly. "But you can't ask me to do this over a taped interview. I'm the coach, I see loads of flaws."

Moving on, what of the other opponents out there, in or around Hatton's weight category? Miguel Cotto for example?

"I think he is a great fighter, but he's a welterweight. He has got to move up to Welterweight NOW."

And how does he think Ricky would fare against him at 147?

"Why would we take the fight at 147?" he asks incredulously.

At 140 then?

"At 140, Ricky would stop him. It wouldn't be early, but Ricky would stop him", he states adamantly.

And what of Hatton's old British nemesis, Junior Witter?

"He would MURDER Junior Witter," he barks. "He would MURDER Junior Witter. There is not a prayer Junior Witter would see the final bell".

Ricardo Torres, the man who almost toppled Cotto in a thrilling 8 round brawl last year?

"I think Ricardo Torres is a wicked puncher, a massive puncher, he was a banger all his life, a real dangerous fighter, but that's about it," he says.

Given that Hatton has stated he wants to be out of the fight game in the next two to three years, whom would Graham choose to be Hatton's next three opponents?

"Mayweather, Mayweather, Mayweather" he replies slowly.

And with that, he walks off.

Source: http://www.secondsout.com/UK/news.cfm?ccs=228&cs=19168

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Billy Graham(Hatton's trainer)-"We want Mayweather"

Good interview

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

click, nice one
    Just the news i wanted to hear

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by The_One77
    click, nice one
    Just the news i wanted to hear
    Click back bro. Yeah I'm glad to hear this too but I was just wondering,before,I myself have read where Hatton's camp say they are not ready for Floyd,now they REALLY want him,I'm guessing they were not impressed by the Zab fight? Something must have changed as before it was we need 3 tune ups to be ready for Floyd and now it is "Mayweather, Mayweather, Mayweather"! I just Hope Hatton beats Collazo who is awkward,I gurantee he will destroy Gatti and then he will be so exposed,the Mayweather fight will be the biggest non Heavyweight fight ever!

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

good read, the game

hatton can beat PBF, i'll maintain this until events can prove me wrong, or else im proven very correct....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Rumour has it that this 3 fight tune up thing is just window dressing, Hatton's camp went strongly for PBF and he wanted in excess of 9 mil to make the fight now, with Ricky gettin peanuts so it was no go for now, but PBF cant hide forever.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

That's great..the problem is they don't want Mayweather until 2007, so they should talk about it after Hatton wins his next two fights.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Amazes me that after Floyd has 4 or 5 competitive rounds...everyone & their mom's thinks that they can take him.

They'll all be sadly mistaken.
    Never beg a 40 dollar hooker...specially after she's just turned down your mom's credit card!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by wacko3205
    Amazes me that after Floyd has 4 or 5 competitive rounds...everyone & their mom's thinks that they can take him.

hatton could

probably within 4 or 5 rounds, actually

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

yeah i agree with Billy Graham.
    Hatton will beat PBF.
    i see chinks in his armour and the British are Coming

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Don't agree there,but the Zab performance was cause for optimism and Ricky's trainer has always felt confident he can beat Floyd.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I agree with that.

I always said that stylistically, Judah would give Mayweather trouble for a while before Floyd figured him out. Haven't seen the fight yet, but it seems like that is exactly what happened. A fast and tricky southpaw like Judah can be a difficult opponent to get to grips with when they are on their 'A' game.

To be honest, I don't see where all this Margarito expectation is coming from... it seems that everyone is saying that Floyd wont be able to handle the pressure just because Castillo ran an injured Mayweather close in their first fight. First off, Mayweather is a lot better now than he was back then. Secondly, what about Mayweather's fight against Jesus Chavez? Another pressure fighter who got absolutely schooled by Floyd.
    Who is to say that Margarito wont crumble against someone as slick and skillful as Floyd? Antonio is an unknown quantity you have to remember... who has he beaten that makes people think that he can hang with someone like Floyd? Has he fought anyone as elusive, fast and skillful as Floyd?
    This fight could pan out like Calzaghe versus Lacy for all we know. Take a look closely, it is almost the same scenario...

As for Hatton, I'm not buying into what Billy Graham says until the fight is officially on. After the Mayweather/Gatti fight, he talked about how badly they wanted a fight with Floyd, but when the time came and Floyd put out a challenge, they said "No, not yet."
    Not to say that Hatton can't potentially beat him, but I wont be betting against Mayweather anytime soon.

to the Game for the interview by the way!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by The Game

Don't agree there,but the Zab performance was cause for optimism and Ricky's trainer has always felt confident he can beat Floyd.
    Sorry Wack my man,I take that back.I'm a fool for questioning you.
    http://www.fightnews.com/fightnews_2...VFSfYjRvi.html

Soliman: I would nullify Floyd!

Saturday, April 15 2006

By Ray Wheatley -- World of Boxing

Middleweight contender Sam Soliman thinks that Floyd Mayweather is deserving to be called the best pound for pound boxer in the world today after his win over Zab Judah on Saturday. "Floyd displayed his great boxing skills in defeating Zab Judah and showed why he is ranked as the best pound for pound boxer in the world. He boxed the perfect fight and slowly chopped down Judah who got away to a good start If Floyd decides to move up to 154 pounds I would be confident of defeating him. I can make light middleweight - I was only 156 pounds in my fight with Winky Wright. My work rate would be the winning formula for me in a bout with Floyd - I would just throw to many punches and this would nullify his skills." Soliman lives in Melbourne but is in Sydney working as chief sparring partner to former WBC interim super middleweight champion Danny Green who will clash with former WBA super middleweight champion Anthony Mundine on May 17 in what is predicted to be the biggest live gate in Australian boxing history. "I am sure Danny will defeat Mundine - he only has to stay composed in the same way Sven Ottke did when he scored a knockout over Anthony." (Photo taken today of Sam with boxing scribe Grantlee Kieza (L) and Ray Wheatley at the Italian Forum at Leichardt.)

Thread Information