Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default left jab to left hook?

what's technique for going from a left jab to a left hook, It feels abit aquard.
    Cheers

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: left jab to left hook?

It feels awkward because when you throw the left hand the right shoulder moves backwards, pulling your left forwards. Once the shot it thrown the motion of bringing the left shoulder back to your normal stance makes it a good time to throw a right hand because of the forward motion you get on the right shoulder.

You need to practice throwing the jab and returning your left shoulder into the position it would be in if you where leading off with the left hook.

One way of thinking of it is to throw your jab, pretend to throw a right hook (but don't :P) and by that I meen drive the right shoulder backwards so that it pulls the left shoulder backwards. Its almost like a lever.

To be honest its not that hard a shot any way, I good points scorer because generally if you get guys coming at you throwing: left, right, left, right - after he's thrown his left hand he's got you in the habit of waiting for a right hand and defending that side of your body.

But because you have to reposition your shoulder to throw the left hook hard its easier to see coming then if you throw it softer and faster to score your points or open up for something bigger.

if you threw a left hand your on a prime position to throw a fast fully thrown right with all your weight in it, harder to see coming but more predictable (you'll find in boxing alot of the punches you don't really see coming, you just learn to read what your opponent is going to do, if I tryed slipping a shot by waiting till I saw the glove move from the other guys chin I'd be brain damaged by now :P)

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Its an old saying hook of the jab it can;t be done once the body moves 3inch of any movement it cant be done.Your body responses won;t allow it, don;t try it ,all it will do is confuse
    Pain lasts a only a minute, but the memory will last forever....

boxingbournemouth - Cornelius Carrs private boxing tuition and personal fitness training

Mentioned
    447 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

We talking in the same stance I take it?

Just for your interest heres the Wing Chun way, you have to know where he is at and where your heading to and for what reasons.

o the whole combo on the move and close the gap for the hook gettting your self set for the hook and in saftey.
    Throw the jab as you move towards saftey (away from his rear arm)control his lead arm as you go in and smother it with your right as you land the left hook, or head around his arm further if that case arises.

To do that by making him miss his jab first as you simultanously counter and slip with yours allowing his to go over your right shoulder as you turn slightly and get reach onto your left jab, continueing the move and you bodily follow his jab back in as it retreats and smother it or push and go around it there as you hook .

Set yourself up with your footwork so your loaded and at the right distance in each position for each shot ,you take yourslef more square shouldered for the hook and your feet are ready for the twist and step.
    It works becuase your feet take you sqaure but away from his rear arm ,so your automatically loaded for the hook and the move brings you to the right distance to hook and your safe if you have that front arm of his checked.

The other way ,
    If he is comming around into your face area, in between your arms and you throw it out then and you go square shouldered to the area his is moving to and you side step towards his rear arm for the left jab then the hook, your looking for more trouble in my book. .

Unless you use his reaction to your jab and as you jab,drop your arm down into his rear arm or at least into its path and then hook off of it as you adjust your feet again using his momentum and his reactions against him while moving away from his other arm.
    An interupted movement between the jab and the hook in close is safer and more controlled in my mind.
    Your too open in your ribs if you havent covered his arm path with your attacking arm first.
    Sounds strange to some but this doesnt take much to train into a boxers regime.

Hidden Content " border="0" />

I can explain it.
    But I cant understand it for you.

Thread Information