Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: How to deal with the quick 1-2 (jab then right hand)

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default How to deal with the quick 1-2 (jab then right hand)

After reading alot of the posts about counter punching, i tried some of the techniques and they worked well. But how should i defend or counter against an opponent that throws the 1-2 from the outside postion. I find its alot easier when countering single shots i.e. the jab but when the opponent throws two or three punches in quick succession i find myself always trading with them.
    Any advice would be gr8

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: How to deal with the quick 1-2 (jab then right hand)

When throwing the jab hit his right hand.It disturbes their sense of distance balance and thought pattern it works a treat.
    Pain lasts a only a minute, but the memory will last forever....

boxingbournemouth - Cornelius Carrs private boxing tuition and personal fitness training

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

any series of punches is to be considered one block of movement and in this way there are often numerous ways to counter him as he transitions from movement to movement.

however, youre worst problem is randomness -- the natural enemy of the counterpuncher. when he randomizes his punches you sink into confusion as he becomes so unpredictable you cant never plan the proper counter to throw. at the bottom of this is your inability to control the tempo of the bout. to do this you got to understand the concept of coercion and persuasion. all strategy from boxing to machiavellian political thought is based on this principle. you see youre opponent is constantly prioritizing in his mind what he should do, what he should not do, how he should do it, when should he do it, why should he do it; all of which based on the information you show him. to demonstrate this effect you need only to look at the example you gave in your post:

"I find its alot easier when countering single shots i.e. the jab but when the opponent throws two or three punches in quick succession i find myself always trading with them."

by succefully countering his jab as you say you have, you must realize that your opponent takes in this information in the form of, "geez this guy keeps nailing me when i jab, i need to stop doing whatever it is that keeps getitn me hit with that counterpunch, i better stop and try something else"

this is the universal effect of counterpunching i.e coercion. by way of penalizing him for certain punches he throws by use of your counterpunch you are forcing him to opt for a different approach because he is getting penalized for his previous efforts. you must understand he isnt just going to keep on doing what it is that allows you to counter him. this manifested itself in the form of your opponent opting now to throw a "1-2" instead of that single jab you penalized him for earlier. realize that you have forced his hand in this option and that it was you that caused him to do this by way of coercion. i stress this greatly because it is important that you understand this fundamental tenet of boxing if you want to be a real counterpuncher as you say.

ok so now that your opponent is throwing this 1-2 of his and you must find a way around it. as noted at the start of this entry, any series of punches is to be considered a single block of movements. in this case you cannot simply counter the jab as a right hand is now coming along with it. you must find a way to negate the effectiveness of the right hand. to do this you may simply use your counters for the right hand creating for yet another coearcion effect if not knocking him out completely, block it with your shoulder so that it is useless of him to throw it, or circle away from it so that it never lands. the key idea to take from this is that you are telling him "hey, dont you see youre right hand isnt being productive for you?" in which case he must yet again choose something else to do as you are penalizing him for his efforts. when you say that you trade with him as he throws his random shots at you, you are failing to implement the effect of coercion and thusly you fail to control the bout. no matter what he does (throw a 1-2 or any random string of punches) you must be able to establish the effect of coercion, realizing that he only ever does what you let him by way of this principle.

i really do wish i could go in greater detial for you here (i didnt even touch on the effect of persuasion b/k/a the act of drawing punches, or what happens when you meet somebody smart enough to draw/trigger your counterpunches and then use them to counterpunch you) but to do this i would have to exapand this post into what would be a 7 page essay. i hope that you grasp the core idea though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Good stuff.....I do find that sometimes its better not to think about the counters while anticipating the punches whereas if i just throw my punches naturally, they sometimes come off better. Because there are so many counters for each punch it does become confusing (throwing the best counter for the oncomming punch)

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

good stuff tom, thats the way I see if, if he throws a jab and I slip to lets say I slip to the outside there only so many things he can. Always plan your next move before you do your first move based off where you will be at the time

Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

When an opponent jabs at you and that jab hits your gloves, you are in range. ou need to (a)punch back (b)anticipate what will come next and prepare to avoid it or (c) step back one-half step and out of range. This willeither stop the "2" part of the 'old 1-2' from beingthrown or he'll throw it and come up short. This allows for some good counter chances.
    Its all in how you handle the jab. Parry it and counter with a hook and he won't be throwinga series of punches at you. But if you let it hit your gloves and then blockthe right with your other glove you are givinghimfree rein to punch at you and your hands are wrapped up in getting hit so you are stuck. Make him miss the jab and counter him. Catch the jab and slip the right and counter off of it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasTabin
    any series of punches is to be considered one block of movement and in this way there are often numerous ways to counter him as he transitions from movement to movement.

however, youre worst problem is randomness -- the natural enemy of the counterpuncher. when he randomizes his punches you sink into confusion as he becomes so unpredictable you cant never plan the proper counter to throw. at the bottom of this is your inability to control the tempo of the bout. to do this you got to understand the concept of coercion and persuasion. all strategy from boxing to machiavellian political thought is based on this principle. you see youre opponent is constantly prioritizing in his mind what he should do, what he should not do, how he should do it, when should he do it, why should he do it; all of which based on the information you show him. to demonstrate this effect you need only to look at the example you gave in your post:

"I find its alot easier when countering single shots i.e. the jab but when the opponent throws two or three punches in quick succession i find myself always trading with them."

by succefully countering his jab as you say you have, you must realize that your opponent takes in this information in the form of, "geez this guy keeps nailing me when i jab, i need to stop doing whatever it is that keeps getitn me hit with that counterpunch, i better stop and try something else"

this is the universal effect of counterpunching i.e coercion. by way of penalizing him for certain punches he throws by use of your counterpunch you are forcing him to opt for a different approach because he is getting penalized for his previous efforts. you must understand he isnt just going to keep on doing what it is that allows you to counter him. this manifested itself in the form of your opponent opting now to throw a "1-2" instead of that single jab you penalized him for earlier. realize that you have forced his hand in this option and that it was you that caused him to do this by way of coercion. i stress this greatly because it is important that you understand this fundamental tenet of boxing if you want to be a real counterpuncher as you say.

ok so now that your opponent is throwing this 1-2 of his and you must find a way around it. as noted at the start of this entry, any series of punches is to be considered a single block of movements. in this case you cannot simply counter the jab as a right hand is now coming along with it. you must find a way to negate the effectiveness of the right hand. to do this you may simply use your counters for the right hand creating for yet another coearcion effect if not knocking him out completely, block it with your shoulder so that it is useless of him to throw it, or circle away from it so that it never lands. the key idea to take from this is that you are telling him "hey, dont you see youre right hand isnt being productive for you?" in which case he must yet again choose something else to do as you are penalizing him for his efforts. when you say that you trade with him as he throws his random shots at you, you are failing to implement the effect of coercion and thusly you fail to control the bout. no matter what he does (throw a 1-2 or any random string of punches) you must be able to establish the effect of coercion, realizing that he only ever does what you let him by way of this principle.

i really do wish i could go in greater detial for you here (i didnt even touch on the effect of persuasion b/k/a the act of drawing punches, or what happens when you meet somebody smart enough to draw/trigger your counterpunches and then use them to counterpunch you) but to do this i would have to exapand this post into what would be a 7 page essay. i hope that you grasp the core idea though.

hello, i was just wondering if you could give me any links to websites that go deeper into this subject of counter punching. any links will be greatful, thanks. v good post by the way.

Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Check back later this afternoon my friend. There should be 2-4 posts oncounter punching up by then.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Ok if your fighting a righty keep circling away from his right hand, therefore i beleive, youre circling left. When he throws that jab you can hit the top of his head with a straight, or overhand right you may have to slip the jab inward to land perfectly but if well positon you can get him by slipping it outside as well. when he throws that right hand you can duck while jabing to the stomach, idealy to the ribs right below the pit of right arm, but you got to know that 2 punch is coming. If you slip the jab to the outside and are pretty fast you can counter the jab with right hand and while keeping the front foot in place swiveling the back foot foward so that you are trying to pivot and get behind him and throw a nast left hook to head or body. This has to be well planned and hes either has to be slow with that 2 punch or you've got to be fast!

My Favorite....

Get close to him and encourage him to throw that 1-2.....let him.....you want him to!
    Keep those hands up high and react!!

when he throws the jab slap it down or to the side and fire a quick right all in one motion.

When he throws the right when it hits your jab hand slap it down and fire a double jab and right...hell add in a left hook and let him know your not fucking around

When I say react I mean whatever hand he hits you've to be prepared to slap it down with that hand and fire that same hand

It wont work it hes throwing a right hand to your jab hand and you slap it down with your right hand so it takes practice.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Im sorry thats circling to the right

Thread Information