Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Byrd looks game & he sounds determined...is there an upset in the makings here?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Byrd looks game & he sounds determined...is there an upset in the makings here?

Byrd on a wire
    Outweighed on foreign turf, promoter-less Byrd puts his IBF belt on the line against Wladimir Klitschko

Story by Chris Cozzone
    http://www.ufcfightnews.com/birdonawire.htm

Chris Byrd, 39-2-1, (20 KOs), has been to Germany twice.

The first time, in 2000, he came back a first-time world champion, when WBO titlist Vitali Klitschko quit on his stool with a torn shoulder, despite a lopsided points spread built up over nine rounds.

The belt flew home with Byrd.

The second time, six months later, Byrd returned the belt to the Klitschko clan, hitting the canvas twice on his way to losing an uneven unanimous decision to Vitali’s brother, Wladimir.

Now it’s six years later—and the circumstances have not changed all that much.

Once again, Wladimir, now 45-3 (40 KOs) and the IBF No. 1 Contender, wants something Byrd has—another belt, this time, the IBF’s slice of the pie—and, like last time, it appears just as likely that the only belt Byrd will be coming home with will be the punch-variety raining down upon him by the Ukrainian.

The disadvantages are many, and the risks are great—greater than one would deem necessary to take for a fighter’s who’s been world champ for four years.

“It’s a chance to avenge a loss,” says Byrd.

“I’ll be able to say I’ve beaten both Klitschkos. Who else can say that?”

Saturday night’s title rematch—for Byrd’s IBF belt and the minor, vacant IBO title—will be televised live from Mannheim, Germany on HBO. It will mark Byrd’s first fight as a free agent since becoming a champion for, following his lackluster bout with DaVarryl Williamson last October, he and promoter Don King parted ways. King called Byrd “boring,” while Byrd accused King of trying to set him up to fight Klitschko—a fight he ended up with, anyway, King or no King, due to Klitschko’s rise to the No. 1 spot.

“The business side can take a lot out of you,” says Byrd. “But things are great now, now that I’m not with Don King. I saw Judah on TV in that fight in January—I know what he’s saying when it comes to Don King. I know how he finds ways to cut your money.

“I have my team fighting for me and, I know, in a place like Germany, it can be rough. The last trip, I was the enemy. I stayed at a different hotel and it didn’t feel like a championship fight.”

Byrd has concerns beyond accommodations in his rematch with Klitschko Saturday night.

“The referee’s got to do his job,” he says. “Wladimir’s style is all about jabbing and grabbing. C’mon, that’s not boxing. This is not a dancing contest. Don’t give me that one-two-and-hold style.

“Don’t hold me—let’s fight. I mean, look at me—if you think you need to hold me, you’re in trouble.”

Byrd, 6’0”, says he typically weighs just over 200 after a tough workout; and he’s weighed in as low as 210 ½ in the last two years—compared to the 240-245 of the 6’6” Klitschko.

Despite it not working in his last two fights against someone named ‘Klitschko,’ Byrd is convinced he can beat the bigger man in the rematch:

“I got to be slippery, like water . . .

“I’ll be like a chameleon. I can fight or box you . . .

“I want to test his heart . . .

“I’m underrated as a puncher. My slipping ability and toughness are underrated . . . .

“Look at me—I’m a little guy—but I don’t worry about the weight. I love being the underdog. I don’t back down from nobody . . . .

“They say I’m a so-called ‘non-puncher,’ but I’m still champion. I’m going to prove everyone wrong. I got secret weapons I can throw . . . .”

Since Klitschko lost the belt he won from Byrd, his stock has, for the most part, taken a nose-dive, although he became the first person to beat highly-touted Samuel Peter in his last outing.

“He keeps bouncing back,” says Byrd. “He’s had changes in style but, basically, these big guys can’t move. I’m not afraid.

“This is going to be like a little mouse chasing around a big elephant.”

Another big elephant Byrd would like to take on is 7” Nikolay Valuev, who wrested the WBA belt from John Ruiz in December.

“I want to be a giant killer. I want to fight all the big guys.”

These kind of fights, he says, is good for the heavyweight scene.

“I’d like to see a box-off between the four champions, but it’s too political to happen. They say it’s a weak era, but I like this era of boxing.

“As for me, all I ever wanted was to say was that I was the best in the division. It’s great to be champion . . . ."

Byrd looks game & he sounds determined...is there an upset in the makings here?
    Never beg a 40 dollar hooker...specially after she's just turned down your mom's credit card!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Byrd looks game & he sounds determined...is there an upset in the makings he

I've said it once, and I will say it again. There are 2 Klitchkoes, actually 2 periods of Kltichkos career, and now he is moving into his third period.

His first period was
    1. Amateurs to Corrie Sanders. This period is marked with high confidence, and a plethora of accolades and honors. Wladimir was invincible and he beat almost everyone. It was during this period that be beat Byrd.

His second Period,
    2. Marked by a brutal KO lost to Sanders, Kltchkos confidence suffered greatly, and he barely scrapped out a decision agaisnt Williamson. In addition he ran out of stamina and was KOED by Brewster.

3. Third period.....?
    After a big win over Samuel Petter, his confidence seems to be resurfaced. This recent victory over a hard punching and dangerous Peter, has instilled the belief in Klitchko that he can beat Byrd, whom he had beaten in the first part of his career.

The only disadvantage I see is that.
    1. Byrd is not necessarily the same fighter that Klitchko fought.

2. Byrd is the champion, and a veteran at this stage of his career, therefore his mindset is changed. BYRD is not going to go down easily. He will fight.

3. Corrie Sanders who KOED Kltichko is a southpaw. Byrd is also a southpaw, Byrd can exploit that area that Sanders exploited.

In summing up, this is an interesting fight.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Byrd looks game & he sounds determined...is there an upset in the makings here?

I agree with #1 & #2...but not #3.

Corrie Sanders is a southpaw...but he outweighs Byrd on an average of 20+ pounds depending on his conditioning.

No way in hell Byrd can capitolize on what Sanders did with Wlad...he doesn't have the power. The abilities...yes...he far surpasses Sanders, but Wlad doesn't have a weak chin. He's taken shots from some of the heaviest hands in the world & he generally keeps on ticking.

He kept getting up against Sanders...Byrd won't put him down.

I think that Byrd is going to put up a hell of a fight...but I don't think in the end that it will be enough. He's coming equipped...but he'll need a lot more equipment than what he's carrying.
    Never beg a 40 dollar hooker...specially after she's just turned down your mom's credit card!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Byrd looks game & he sounds determined...is there an upset in the makings here?

Maybe Wlad's inability to see straight left hands when feinted with a right jab?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Starr
    Maybe Wlad's inability to see straight left hands when feinted with a right jab?
    Nah...I honestly think that if Byrd comes equipped with a will to dominate...a will to slide & trade on the ropes...just like with Golota...this will turn into a worthy showing from Byrd.

Wlad's stamina issues could be brought back to the top of the page is Byrd does indeed press him.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Byrd should go to Wladimer's body.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Byrd looks game & he sounds determined...is there an upset in the makings he

Nothing there but points for Byrd.........don't know if her has the power to wear down Klitschkos body but I saw a pic of Byrd and he did look conditioned.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

the question is, when wlad puts bryd up along the ropes, is bryd physically capable to be able to bang his way of the ropes, hes about 35 nw i think and no spring chicken, i dont think he can dance for 12 rounds vrs wlad

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by oakleyno1
    the question is, when wlad puts bryd up along the ropes, is bryd physically capable to be able to bang his way of the ropes, hes about 35 nw i think and no spring chicken, i dont think he can dance for 12 rounds vrs wlad
    byrd might not be able to dance 12 rounds, but i expect him to be much more flat footed and dig in and trade. i think in terms of going the distance byrd is conditioned the better. i think byrd can mix it with wlad and come off relatively unscathed. byrd doesnt mind taking a punch, wlad meanwhile doesnt relish the prospect too much...

and sure byrd looks in great shape, he's there to fight...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

wlad will destroy byrd. EOD. byrd has no shot. none.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Sorry Wacko, but Joppy looked and sounded determined before the Trinidad fight. . . . . . and 5 rds later, he was doing his own "Judah shuffle".

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by BABABOOEY
    Sorry Wacko, but Joppy looked and sounded determined before the Trinidad fight. . . . . . and 5 rds later, he was doing his own "Judah shuffle".
    That's assuming that Wlad is as talented as Trinidad. He's not.

Byrd rocked Tua with some hard shots that nearly put him down, and Tua's chin is obviously tougher to crack than Wlad's.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by tuckwopat
    Quote Originally Posted by BABABOOEY
    That's assuming that Wlad is as talented as Trinidad. He's not.

Byrd rocked Tua with some hard shots that nearly put him down, and Tua's chin is obviously tougher to crack than Wlad's.
    Gotta agree with Booey & disagree with you just this once tuckwopat.

Wlad is mega talented compared to Tito...Byrd IWO's opinion is more talented & slick than Wlad...it's the power difference...well...that makes the difference.

Again...I think everyone is going to be shocked with Byrd's performance.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I don't see Byrd doing any better than he did in the first fight.Byrd rellies on speed and he has slowed down since then, and unless Byrd somehow became as strong of a puncher as Sanders or Peter there is no chance he he can hurt Wladimir at all.I see this one ending in a TKO for Wladimir in the mid rounds.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by wacko3205
    [b]“The business side can take a lot out of you,” says Byrd. “But things are great now, now that I’m not with Don King. I saw Judah on TV in that fight in January—I know what he’s saying when it comes to Don King. I know how he finds ways to cut your money.

“The referee’s got to do his job,” he says. “Wladimir’s style is all about jabbing and grabbing. C’mon, that’s not boxing. This is not a dancing contest. Don’t give me that one-two-and-hold style.

“Don’t hold me—let’s fight. I mean, look at me—if you think you need to hold me, you’re in trouble.”
    I must admit that I don't know the details about how Don King operates, but it's about f***ing time that someone exposed him as 2-faced, crooked and obnoxious promoter that's doing harm to the boxing game. I've been around boxing ever since he began as a promoter and I'm way sick of him.

Also, I see that someone other than me noticed that ever since Emanuel Steward started training Wladdy he began to hold repeatedly nearly every time a shorter guy got close enough to do any damage. I still don't think that Wladdy will hold against Chris Byrd that much because he won't need to. As Byrd said bluntly "if you think you need to hold me, you’re in trouble.”

I'm picking Wladdy to beat Byrd but with a disgusted look on my face. Mark my words, if he gets in the slightest bit of trouble he will not fight back, but will clinch.

Thread Information