Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: I spar in 2-3 weeks.

You seem to have the right ideas now.

Just dont be one of the stupid beginners who come in and go wild, then 60 seconds later they are all tired out and want a rest

Be calm..Breathe alot...THINK about what your doing.. keep your hands up!

Thats my 2 cents for you
    Thats cricket

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Thanks Poom.

Yeah, so I did include more defensive moves, at least consciously. I hate shadowboxing or doing things half-assed and slow or sloppy. And that's what I did today. But at least I did it, right? I was tired, but hopefully I'll get used to it soon. I didn't get much sleep last night, so maybe that was it. I will get much sleep tonight.

And damn, my lower back is sore, so are my lats. Sore in a good way, not the "back ache" way. I excercise my back through weights, but me trying to punch constantly is really working out my back like never before. And I tried to back out of range at times, like Grey said, I don't think I did it enough, takes a lot of energy to move those legs of mine, heh. Right now I think my weakest part, is covering the body. I can really get hit by the infamous "liver shot!" I'll try to keep my elbows low. Another is breathing, I'll try and get that down. Breathe real good. Sometimes I notice myself not tucking my chin in.

But next time I shadowbox I'll keep in mind on "THINKING" smart and not to waste all energy in first 60 seconds.

Maybe I'll see if I can get a hold of a slip ball. Thanks guys. cc'd everyone, of course.
    I'm treating this like it's my last chance to spar, because when the summer is on, I wonder how my future will play out.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Poom
    You seem to have the right ideas now.

Just dont be one of the stupid beginners who come in and go wild, then 60 seconds later they are all tired out and want a rest

Be calm..Breathe alot...THINK about what your doing.. keep your hands up!

Thats my 2 cents for you
    Kinda like my first experience with a woman? haha

Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Keep this in mind: when in your stance, try to swingyour arms back. If your elbows miss your ribs they are too far apart. This not only exposes your body to attack but takes power from your punches, which you most likely telegraph any way. Watch in the mirror- see how high elbows tip things off. Also, on the heavy bag, practice stepping around it- small steps and quickpivotswill get you out of range w/o having to move a ton.
    I'm betting you'll do ok. Keepin mind that landing goodpunches is harder than it seems; most everybody is disillusioned the first few times because they just cannot land a good one. But if you keep calm you'll see learn and remember for future rounds, and have a ball, which is the point. (if the opportunity is there see if you can spar a round using just jabs- after you do what you are prepping for- as that is fun. You have to think and work to land in that situation but its great for getting used to jabbing and avoiding a jab simultaneously)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

good luck gyrokai, I remember you posted a few months ago about waiting to start sparring.

I sparred myself for the first time a couple of weeks ago, and what the guys are saying on here is spot on. You're better off fighting against an experienced guy going easy on you than anything else, if you spar another beginner it's likely to turn into a fight without good supervision.

They're also right about how tiring sparring is compared to everything else, I took pride in my stamina from running, cross training and even the heavy bag before I got in the ring, but I was still pretty tired after the first round of sarring.
    It was a real eye-opener, its made me change my approach to other aspects of my training; I definitily concentrate and work harder on my shadowboxing now, working on my footwork and picturing my opponent in front of me.

Have fun sparring and tell us how it went, and good luck finding a good gym over the summer.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

you'll get more relaxed in there, you burn up so much energy because your so tense when you first stasrt out. Its teh same when you start to compete... teh fittest I've ever felt was my first bout and I really felt the pace compared sparring that many rounds... next fight I wasn't inquiet as good condition and I weighed in at heavy weight (more mass to eat all my Oxygen)... was a much harder fight and I had to throw, defend and take alot more to win it but I didn't find it as tiring simply because I was more relaxed

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Well, I spar on Thursday. I've been training regularly. Although I did catch a cold, so I cut off running, and stuck to shadowboxing and reflex bag. Went 15 rounds today (training).
    4 Free style.
    and the rest, either just ducking, sliping, moving to the right.

If I'm still sick by this coming Thursday, I suppose I have to cancel First Sparring Day.

Anyhow, I'm sparring with a first timer too. I know how you guys are against that. And that makes sense, but this is how it is. I don't think anybody will take it easy on me, so I might as well go with someone who doesn't know what they are doing.

Anyhow... (since it's a mistake, and I already decided to spar with an unexperienced fighter, like myself. The date is set.)

Have any advice on how to fight this guy?

Block for the first 60 seconds, until HE gets tired? heheh I need a mental advantage, a plan at least. Cause as I draw closer to this sparring session, I'm training harder, reading more, and learning more.

Anyways, the date is set and my opponent is set. I might be making too much a big deal about this, but as I said, I like to plan things out VERY much.

Advice on how to fight an unexperienced fighter

Get ready to take a beating for the first 60 seconds? haha

Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: I spar in ONE week.

I could give you some advice and make some suggestions,because I think I can also predict what will happen. But you won't really believe me,or, if you do, you'll till not truly know that of which I speak until after you are finished. The time in the ring could very well change how you work out for evermore.
    Most likely,if you are both first timers and if nobody panics (usually due to a sudden lucky shot that stuns them), you both will throw many punches, land nothing of consequence, get tired faster than you expect, and be happy at the end of it all. You guys will throw punches...He'll sometimes be so close that you'll find it impossible to throw a proper punch and what you land will be a soft push; or he'll be a hair too far out,just past the last of the pop in your punch, and you'll have at least one exchange in which you two will look like two drunks in their first bout flailing away.
    I could tell you now about range, how important it is and how to judge it and how to learn about it. But you wouldn't know what I was talking about nor how to make use of it. But when you leave the ring after,you'll know and understand. And know what questions to ask for next time.
    Best of luck to you

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Gyrokai
    Well, I spar on Thursday. I've been training regularly. Although I did catch a cold, so I cut off running, and stuck to shadowboxing and reflex bag. Went 15 rounds today (training).
    First timers are normally very nervous and when you punch them they almost leap back , they dont have the confidence to block properly so dont be one these guys, put your hands up to block and parry and if you need to stand your ground. Of course there are times to Move back , and jab and move, but just dont get bullied in there.
    Thats cricket

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Gyrokai
    4 Free style.
    and the rest, either just ducking, sliping, moving to the right.

If I'm still sick by this coming Thursday, I suppose I have to cancel First Sparring Day.

Anyhow, I'm sparring with a first timer too. I know how you guys are against that. And that makes sense, but this is how it is. I don't think anybody will take it easy on me, so I might as well go with someone who doesn't know what they are doing.

Anyhow... (since it's a mistake, and I already decided to spar with an unexperienced fighter, like myself. The date is set.)

Have any advice on how to fight this guy?

Block for the first 60 seconds, until HE gets tired? heheh I need a mental advantage, a plan at least. Cause as I draw closer to this sparring session, I'm training harder, reading more, and learning more.

Anyways, the date is set and my opponent is set. I might be making too much a big deal about this, but as I said, I like to plan things out VERY much.

Advice on how to fight an unexperienced fighter

Get ready to take a beating for the first 60 seconds? haha
    With my early sparring sessions still fresh in my memory, the one piece of advice (as others have said) is to not panic and try and be relaxed, which is probably easier said than done.

What I found I did (and then learn that most beginners do the same) is panic a little after geting hit, I'd stick my head down and then throw a couple myself, which wouldn't land as I wasn't even looking at the target, it also left myself wide open and practically defenceless.

What you need to keep in mind is that your inexperienced opponent is likely to act like this, so when you land you need to keep your guard and stay on the move. If he does catch you back, don't try and retalliate blindly, otherwise it'll end up exactly as grey described, with the two of you in close trading with your heads down not landing cleanly.

As a strategy against a beginner I would recommend staying on the outside and popping your jab at him whenever he comes in range. Try and beat him to the punch using straights so he's the one that's panicking, but be wary of wild winging hooks, as your inexperienced yourself you probably wont be able to avoid all of them.

One last piece of advice, I'd taken a few knocks in the head from my rugby days but nothing was quite like the experience of being hit for the first time in the ring. Its likely you'll get hit, and its possible that the feeling will be different than you anticipated (not nesecerily[spelling?] worse). Try and remember that if you can think in your head something like "holy shit that hurt", it means you still have your senses and are not on the way out, so don't hesitate and keep on the move befor the next one comes.

good luck and enjoy it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Thanks, You guys are the Best!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

is it not a real gym ..or rather does it not have an actual trainer cause if it does they should have head gear and tell you and ur partner what to do....dont stress about sparring ...your supposed to look stupid and clumsy and not do well and get tagged & try to hit back so that Fightnight is the easy part ....dont stressso much ....and whats w/ the paint thinner??

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by means2184
    is it not a real gym ..or rather does it not have an actual trainer cause if it does they should have head gear and tell you and ur partner what to do....dont stress about sparring ...your supposed to look stupid and clumsy and not do well and get tagged & try to hit back so that Fightnight is the easy part ....dont stressso much ....and whats w/ the paint thinner??
    Heheh

It's in a big storage place. There's trucks, salt rock, and buckets of paint thinner (closed, but you can still smell it).

Their is a trainer, but I don't trust him. My friend goes there to spar all the time. He usually rotates on the fighters there. The fighters usually throw haymakers sometimes. Slow paced, but they throw in a power punch now and then. I'd be better if they fought at a faster pace but will less emphasis on power punches.

My buddie is going to work my corner on sparring night. He will stop it if I get hurt. I talk to him about it already. Just in case they teach this kid, who's sparring with me, to throw power punches at me.

I'm excited about the sparring. Very. I trained very hard for this. All I did is train defense for about 4 months total. Slip bag, double end bag, reflex bag, shadowboxing, even buying defense dvd's. I just need to work on my blocking, which I'm doing right now. I have a buddie throw punches (not fast powerful ones) as I try to block them. Whis I could have done that waaaaay earlier, but can't get everything perfect eh? At least I practiced ducking, balance, sliping, and footwork alot, so far.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

When driving to the gym today, I did get nervous. I was surprised I did. Adrenaline rush is already setting in. Funny how it's automatic, and I don't need to think about the adrenaline for it to come up. As I go closer, I get more excited about sparring, because all the work I put in shadowboxing, etc. I feel prepared already. Don't get me wrong, I don't want to kill the guy, I just want the reassurance just for my sake. Even if it is just a silly sparring matchup.

I met my sparring partner today.

I have 10 pounds on him, but he has better conditioning than me, he's stronger than me too.

BUT, I have way more skill, I can tell you that much. All this shadowboxing has really paid off. I always ask my buddie, who's a counterpuncher boxer, about what to do in training. Even he's saying I now have better skill.

I have a feeling my sparring partner is going to throw lots of combinations at me, powerful ones. But I want to duck, move around, stay calm, and hopefully block most of them. ... I know I'm gonna get hit too.

Interesting sparring partners we are.

If he does go crazy on me, either my corner stops it (My good friend is going to watch over it). OR BETTER... I'm going to save myself energy to spar the last half of the round. Won't go crazy, just rely on my jab, calmness, and movement. Just like YOU guys have said. I have been imagining staying calm, while fighting, ever since you guys gave me great advice. I will try very hard to remember all this.

Right now I'm concentrating on staying calm while boxing, and not tight. And blocking, which will help me save energy to go 2 to 3 rounds easier. My best ability is ducking and sliping a punch. Since that is all I have been doing for awhile. This week, I have one of my other buddies throw punches at me, while I move my head around, ducking. Just to get me used to getting punched at.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I dont really understand whats going on here, this seems like a buildup to a real fight, Seriously Gyrokai stop thinking about it or you will get so tense when you get in the ring :P

Sparring is just sparring and the point of it is to practise without getting hurt so there is no reason to stress or get worried about it, it is just another element of training getting introduced to you like skipping or hitting the bag, something regular that you will do

In a normal gym they will just start you off jabbing at eachother or something anyway , dont "Prepare" to spar, do it and then after you know what it is like think about it more.

Your enthusiasm is great but just dont build it up in your mind much, it will all be for 2 minutes of gentle jabbing probably !
    Thats cricket

Thread Information