Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Would this be the Biggest British Win?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Would this be the Biggest British Win?

I'm from Canada so I don't get to back a top fighter from my own country too often. But if Hatton and Mayweather met, and Hatton won... would that be the hugest thing over there?

I would imagine that the country would just go absolutely nuts. Would this be the biggest win in boxing for you guys?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Would this be the Biggest British Win?

Quote Originally Posted by YounGun
    I'm from Canada so I don't get to back a top fighter from my own country too often. But if Hatton and Mayweather met, and Hatton won... would that be the hugest thing over there?

I would imagine that the country would just go absolutely nuts. Would this be the biggest win in boxing for you guys?
    I'm not British...but I think that I can speak for boxing by saying...HELL YEAH!!!
    Never beg a 40 dollar hooker...specially after she's just turned down your mom's credit card!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think most British boxing fans identify with Ricky Hatton, as he is your typical, "bloke from down the pub". A true Englishman, a sense of pride and rough and ready tactics who wears his heart on his sleeve. Or errr Shorts?

Calzaghe doesnt have the same support, Lewis beat everyone but his wins would not amount (in my opinion) to the win of Hatton against Mayweather.

Benn and Eubank never really got to the heights Hatton would if he beat Mayweather.

So I would say yes, simply because Hatton seems to be on his way to being the most popular British fighter ever.

He is simply...One of Us.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by wacko3205

I'm not British...but I think that I can speak for boxing by saying...HELL YEAH!!!
    I agree. I would personally put my money on PBF as I normally would when it is top notch boxer vs. more of an inside brawler. BUT, I can see how the British get right into Hatton because he truly is good, a class act, and if he won it would just be so sweet to be a Hatton fan over there.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Hatton is generally a Northern phenomenon, and in Britain, sadly very few people have ever heard of Mayweather....

The biggest ever upset to the masses, would be that left hook.... followed by Turpin/Robinson and then Benn/McClellan and Honeyghan/Curry

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I just want to see the fight....

I honestly couldnt say who would win, but I really feel Hatton has a massive chance. Zab scared Flloyd for four rounds, but got tired, Hatton doesnt do that.

On the other hand, PBF is too quick and the amount of punches thrown and no doubt landed could affect Hatton, especially as we all know he cuts.

So many factors in a match that is highly anticpated, and thats exactly why.

After Zabs four rounds against PBF we all know the way Hatton fights, it could be a spectacular. Thats when we see how good PBF is, I have no doubts he is amazing, but what happens when he gets roughed up...

AC-Cobra Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Britkid

Hatton is generally a Northern phenomenon, and in Britain, sadly very few people have ever heard of Mayweather....

The biggest ever upset to the masses, would be that left hook.... followed by Turpin/Robinson and then Benn/McClellan and Honeyghan/Curry
    Usually agree with ya Britkid but gotta pick at something here, Hattons a Northern phenomenon?

I'll accept his popularity up North is big because of his hometown etc, but are you suggesting he's not appreciated or as popular down south? That I would have to disagree with. Hatton is popular with nearly all British Boxing fans because he has that one attribute that all Brits love - the British Bulldog/Grinder mentality. The sheer grit. Determination. The I dont care if I'm a 50 point fooking underdog, I'm gonna do this and your gonna see I'm the best. Its the same reason tough guys like Bobby Moore or John Terry will always be more popular (with pure sports fans) than someone like DAcid Beckham. Hattons grit appeals to everyone, North or South and if he won the BOXING nation would go wild. Unfortunately the sport is so under covered here, on a national sports scale it wouldnt make nearly as big a spash.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I wasn't old enough to witness it live, (although I have seen it) but the experts consider lloyd honeyghan beating don curry as the best win by a british fighter, maybe because it was such an upset. As an englishman, I can safely say it will be a very proud and special moment when hatton beats PBF just as when he beat kostya tszyu, who was suposedly indestructable. Compared to tszyu, floyd is a less formidable opponet by far.
    Remember the good old days, we miss you Marco!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

It would be a huge deal to the british boxing public. Sad thing if you stopped 10 people in the street maybe 3 would actually know who Mayweather is.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

You mean a 100 mate?
    Remember the good old days, we miss you Marco!

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

It would be up there with Turpin and Honeyghan - Hatton is a bigger name in Britain than Honeyghan was pre Curry
    God is a concept, By which we can measure, Our pain, I'll say it again, God is a concept, By which we can measure, Our pain, I don't believe in magic, I don't believe in I-ching, I don't believe in bible, I don't believe in tarot, I don't believe in Hitler, I don't believe in Jesus, I don't believe in Kennedy, I don't believe in Buddha, I don't believe in mantra, I don't believe in Gita, I don't believe in yoga, I don't believe in kings, I don't believe in Elvis, I don't believe in Zimmerman, I don't believe in Beatles, I just believe in me!!

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I'm from Canada so I don't get to back a top fighter from my own country too often.
    Lennox Lewis?
    If God wanted us to be vegetarians, why are animals made of meat ?

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by X
    I'm from Canada so I don't get to back a top fighter from my own country too often.
    Lennox Lewis?
    Bryan Adams

Did he box
    God is a concept, By which we can measure, Our pain, I'll say it again, God is a concept, By which we can measure, Our pain, I don't believe in magic, I don't believe in I-ching, I don't believe in bible, I don't believe in tarot, I don't believe in Hitler, I don't believe in Jesus, I don't believe in Kennedy, I don't believe in Buddha, I don't believe in mantra, I don't believe in Gita, I don't believe in yoga, I don't believe in kings, I don't believe in Elvis, I don't believe in Zimmerman, I don't believe in Beatles, I just believe in me!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

lewis beating tyson gotta be the biggest simply because no one had heard of kosta & no one has heard of PBF so how can they mean that much to the average brit!

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Wouldn't be that big for me, The odds aren't against Hatton winning enough... with me it rests with Lacy - Calzaghe because so many people wrote Joe off... it wasa bit boost for British Boxing's profile. After that I'd have to say of all time its Turpin - Robinson.

Thread Information