Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Just watched Jones vs. Pazienza

Actually Floyd has more speed combined with accuracy as a fighter. Zab is more explosive and seemed a little faster at the weight because of it.
    Zabs used to punching from a distance and throws himself into the punch. Early the fight, Floyd would sit back and try to use his speed to counter or lead with big shots and Judah would beat him to the punch because zabs style closes the distance quicker than floyds and he gets much of his power from the momentum gained while his punches are in route. Unfortunately, Judahs has to lift that right arm at the shoulder because he carries his hands low now (especially his right). Its perfect for the distance he likes to throw from and the competition hes had up till now (much slower hand speed and reflexes than he has or passive and more defensively minded) because its allowed him to work from his comfortable distance, leap in and pick away or land first.

Floyd exploited judahs style by closing the distance and hold his hands high. The shorter distance didnt allow judah to get the full range or power on his punches because he didnt have the room to build the momentum. and....With Floyds hands high, he beat judah to the punch because by the time Zab got his hand up to throw, Floyds were already lifted and launched. (its the same way a guy like winky beats a big puncher like Trinidad using nothing but a jab.) Floyd was too aggressive in the beginning trying to land bigger punches and counters from what he thought was a safer distance so he could get the most impressive victory possible.

In zabs defense he seemed to try and make a concious effort to hold his hands higher than usual. All the body work by floyd made sure they weren't held too high though. Early in his career, Zab would have avoided this stylistic problem because he held his hands at chest level and kept his elbows tight and used his legs more to spring and get power on his punches over a shorter distance.

Roys style and his athletic abilities complemented each other well. The punch dynamics of his style and his speed allowed him to punch and be out of harms way on the follow through most times. When you do something fast.. it can be said that you just have speed. When you do things fast and unorthodox and effectively, it just makes you seem that much faster because it causes 3 times the confusion. How did he do that? like that? and not miss or get countered?
    They want your @$$ beat because upsets make news. News brings about excitement, excitement brings about ratings. The objective is to bring you up to the tower and tear your @$$ down. And if you don't believe that, you're crazy.

Roy Jones, Jr. "What I've Learned," Esquire 2003

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

nobody mentioned the significant fact about this fight and that is RJJ was the first to go a whole round without being hit at all in all of Compubox history against Vinny!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by ross
    he was dodging almost everything Zab threw,

again with the "almost"
    That has more to do with Mayweather's better defense instead of Zab's faster hands.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by artest2000
    y are u guys so one side in your views. in that fight zab had a clear advantage in speed

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gww67...eather%20judah

watch this clip and just watch zabs skill and speed
    THat clip shows absolutely nothing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by J_Undisputed
    Actually Floyd has more speed combined with accuracy as a fighter. Zab is more explosive and seemed a little faster at the weight because of it.
    Zabs used to punching from a distance and throws himself into the punch. Early the fight, Floyd would sit back and try to use his speed to counter or lead with big shots and Judah would beat him to the punch because zabs style closes the distance quicker than floyds and he gets much of his power from the momentum gained while his punches are in route. Unfortunately, Judahs has to lift that right arm at the shoulder because he carries his hands low now (especially his right). Its perfect for the distance he likes to throw from and the competition hes had up till now (much slower hand speed and reflexes than he has or passive and more defensively minded) because its allowed him to work from his comfortable distance, leap in and pick away or land first.

Floyd exploited judahs style by closing the distance and hold his hands high. The shorter distance didnt allow judah to get the full range or power on his punches because he didnt have the room to build the momentum. and....With Floyds hands high, he beat judah to the punch because by the time Zab got his hand up to throw, Floyds were already lifted and launched. (its the same way a guy like winky beats a big puncher like Trinidad using nothing but a jab.) Floyd was too aggressive in the beginning trying to land bigger punches and counters from what he thought was a safer distance so he could get the most impressive victory possible.

In zabs defense he seemed to try and make a concious effort to hold his hands higher than usual. All the body work by floyd made sure they weren't held too high though. Early in his career, Zab would have avoided this stylistic problem because he held his hands at chest level and kept his elbows tight and used his legs more to spring and get power on his punches over a shorter distance.

Roys style and his athletic abilities complemented each other well. The punch dynamics of his style and his speed allowed him to punch and be out of harms way on the follow through most times. When you do something fast.. it can be said that you just have speed. When you do things fast and unorthodox and effectively, it just makes you seem that much faster because it causes 3 times the confusion. How did he do that? like that? and not miss or get countered?
    I think for the Mayweather vs. Judah fight, and most of Mayweather's fights is that since he doesn't have those snappy punches he has to try and make them more punishing meaning he takes a little off their speed for accuracy and power.Still I felt that he was faster than Judah, and able to beat him to the punch when he felt like it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by P.G.H Angel Eyes
    Quote Originally Posted by ross
    he was dodging almost everything Zab threw,

again with the "almost"
    That has more to do with Mayweather's better defense instead of Zab's faster hands.
    Mayweather sometimes used his defense, but alot of times his defense is just his reflexes which were fast enough to most of Judah's punches once he settled down (round 12). Also how a punch look from outside the ring, and fast the punch is for the person who is fighting are two different things. A straight jab looks slower than a snapping jab from the hip, but it actually gets there faster, and can be moving faster its just the arm fully extends. This is why Jones usually never really had an effective jab because unless the guy was way slower(Ruiz) or way smaller (Pazienza) he get it off. Another thing like I mentioned Floyd's arm reach was 4 inches longer than thatof Zab, and that makes punches look slower as well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

i dont know if floyds hands are actually faster than zabs, but i will say that he's more accurate than zab.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

So taeth you reckon you could evade floyds punches because you were reacting watching the fight?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

i think we should have a day when noone is aloud to mention floyds name i used to like him but now its just to much

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

To sum all this up, Floyd Mayweather isn't even the beginning of a pimple on the ass of Roy Jones.

And thats real

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by TRANSWARP
    So taeth you reckon you could evade floyds punches because you were reacting watching the fight?
    I couldn't get out of the way of most of his shots, but I could start reacting for he landed, but against Roy it would be after he already hit me I would react from what I've seen. Floyd still has alot more foot speed at least at lightweight and superfeatherweight than Roy had at SMW, but hand speed goes to Roy. SN:Roy had shorter arms than Floyd.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by gally
    i think we should have a day when noone is aloud to mention floyds name i used to like him but now its just to much
    Yet people are allowed to talk about Toney, Hatton, Calzaghe, Margarito all the time? Hardly fair.

Thread Information