Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default striking combos

hey i'm the kickboxer grappler type and ive been getting pretty comfortable with my combos, not the bread and butter combos but those interesting, tricky combos. i was wondering about some of the crazy combos you guys have found to work. just wondering for something to talk about or maybe even adopt and learn

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: striking combos

I always found the roundhouse into either a spinning back kick or spinning back fist to be a nice one after you've been fanning kicks all night. Your opponent will hopefully try and either shoot in on your, or close the distance to clinch, and you can catch him sometimes square on with one of the follow ups after fanning the roundhouse.

Something my trainer told me always bothered him during his competition days was the fake the low leg kick/body kick then jab/lunge punch. Kick brings the guard down, leaving a wide open shot at the face if your quick (hence the jab/lunge punch rather than a huge, looping, overhand right)
    Boxing is like a handjob, and MMA is like a hot sweaty orgy with 5 chicks. I could never say no to a handjob, but which would you rather have?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

i'm glad you replied, i got a little discouraged when i asked about everyone's favorite combos and nobody answeres. but yeah i know what you mean about the back fist and one of the guys i train with always spinning kicks me in the ribs when i follow him. i'll learn before too long lol
    i wish i could backfist but when we spar, we spar light, we wear gloves but we don't wear headgear, and i am always scared to lay people out by accident.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

You know lots of times you don't need to get fancy. If you look at the dutch mt fighters plenty stick to the simple jab-cross-low kick.

With that spinning kick instead of backing off and giving him room have you tried crashing forward so you smoother his work?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Basically, all the "unusual" combos I know involve throwing a kick, missing it big (essentially telling them to start moving in), but then following it up with something big to catch them as they come in. You could throw a crescent( whatever its called where you throw essentially a round house to the head, and let it bring your body 360*) kick, then follow it up with a second.

If you're a big leg kicker, throwing a lot of leg kicks all fight, and then, late in the fight, throwing a "Superman Punch" (as they call it in the UFC, not sure of its actual name...basically, you chamber a roundhouse kick, but convert to a jumping, overhand right in one smooth motion that goes right above their guard) tends to work nicely, but only once. Make sure you put a lot into the punch, because it will only work once, and you really need to catch them for it to be effective.

Most of the combos you dont hear about, you don't hear about because they dont work very often, tend to be gimmicky, and are easily recognizable and hence, avoidable. Don't try any of these combos often, throw it out maybe once right off the bat, or late in the fight, once your opponent has become used to the way you fight, and expects you to do a certain thing.
    Boxing is like a handjob, and MMA is like a hot sweaty orgy with 5 chicks. I could never say no to a handjob, but which would you rather have?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

in addition to changing up form leg kicks like you said a superman punch. my friend i spar with told me to sweep people by hooking their foot with my foot and then pulling it out from under them. and if you punch them, the strike or them avoiding it makes them fall over. interesting stuff. i've tried it but it's hard to do fast and i really don't especially like it, but it's fun to try sometimes.
    I know this is exactly what you're talking about. The stuff you don't hear about doesn't work often. that's why you don't hear about it. but its still fun sometimes.
    I'll have to try that suprman punch. i can imagine axactly what you mean. Sometimes i spar a tkd guy and he does this jumping back fist thing. it's tricky and it almost always gets me, but it doesn't hurt that much and it usually promts a clinch which isn't good for him. so i imagine a jumping high hook might be interesting. cool.
    there's this site stickgrappler.tripod.com i think, and he has a section about muay thai combos and he says to clinch with poeple by grabbing their guard by their elbos, and then give a knee and if the try to block it throw an elbo, and then take the neck clinch. he says it's extreemly effective and keeps you from catching an elbow on the way in. i can't make it work though. i must be doing it wrong.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Awesome...finally found a video of the Superman Punch in action, so you have something of an idea.

http://www.brickfist.com/5.Martial_A...in_Jordan.html

The fight was wicked boring, but the white guy kept throwing wicked lazy leg kicks, then threw in the superman punch, and KTFOd him

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Who the hell needs to get fancy

http://www.crocop.tk/

check out the videos

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Without looking, and judging solely by the site name, I'ma guess its roundhouse kicks to the head. Just remember that he's a southpaw, which means easier kicks to the face. True though. Just dont get stupid, and remember to camoflague the kick with a small combo (jab jab straight, jab straight...I'm sure you know the drill)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

point being he's so good at the one thing, people can know it's coming and still do nothing about it lol

it's just beautiful, and anyone who likes getting fancy has seen one too many bruce lee movies - that shit'll get you hurt by a real fighter like Crocop or Fedor, hell even the average tough guy walking the street who bullrushes you - when you got a fighter who's coming at you with a vengance and all you can think about is woohoo fancy combos

prepare to hit the deck

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by raleights
    Who the hell needs to get fancy

http://www.crocop.tk/

check out the videos
    nobody needs to get fancy. nobody needs to even fight, but if you're in it for the fun of it, then why not try some. and if you're on a forum and not worried about getting bullrushed from behind your computer, then what's the harm in talking about fancy combos?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

A quick, brutal, yet simple 1-2 kick will put anybody down.

Thread Information