Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Open to suggestions

I found this forum this past week and ive been cycling through and I hope to become a regular poster soon enough. I was just wondering what tips I can get from you guys out there on how to start training to begin some type of amateur boxing.

As of right now....
    Height: 6'3
    Weight: 171
    Hand: Southpaw
    Shape: Semi-Athletic

Im currently running everyday using a weight resistance vest. (20lb xvest) I have no real boxing experience other than screwing around with my buddies and such. I have a decent upper body but have no real lower body. Im hoping to get into the gym after I get some more free time and start getting down to buisness. I have a heavy bag as of right now and a couple pairs of 20oz gloves.

What should I prepare for and how? Im hoping to get into a summer youth league this summer. I just need some advice on what to do until then. Thanks for any assistance...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Open to suggestions

Well, I would probably just try to get a trainer/boxing club as soon as possible or whenever you get that time to fit it in. And since you dont really have any boxing experience you are going to want someone to show you how to do things and see if your technique and all that good stuff is correct. But if you dont know the techniques on the punches then I would be a little careful about hitting on the heavy bag cause the last thing you want to do is get into a bad habit or wrong techniques cause they are by far the worst thing to get rid of. But running, situps, pushups, (go to bodybuilding.com and get a lot of varations of the sit up like leg raises and air bike and all those are really good) are all great for you. Just do those until you get yourself a nice gym. And I guess if you really want to get into it, then its never to soon to start eating right. Have fun and welcome to the forum!

-Mike

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Open to suggestions

thanks man i appreciate it. My main problem I guess is the fact that I cant get a trainer or any real instruction. I live in the middle of nowhere and it pretty much sucks...lol I havent hit my heavy bag in some time because I have no wear to hang it in my new home. The closet possible trainer would be about an 1.5 hours away and I cant commit to that kind of commute until im free of school and work. Ill keep at the standard training though... thanks again

Thread Information