Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Do I have what it takes?

First I'd like to say I'm a new forum member, and I have read quite over 30+ different posts before I registered. It seems like AdamGB knows his stuff, and I like this boxing forum as it is more informative than eastsideboxing forums. great +++++

I wanted to mainly get opinions about what I have to offer to the sport of boxing. I am currently 22 years old, about to graduate college. I've always been into boxing, love watching the sport, but as a young asian child, parents don't really tolerate it, it's more of school school school and getting your education. Throughout my early childhood and on to high school i dominated every sport i was involved in, by keeping really active and strong.

Now that I have some time soon after I graduate I have already made plans to join up at the Atlanta Art of Boxing Gym in Atlanta, Georgia, where Vernon Forrest fights out of.

I am 5' 6 3/4". was 170 lbs from a lot of weight lifting; then I dropped 20 lbs, so I am currently 150, trying to drop about another 20 lbs so I can start fighting at 126 or 135. I was always a very quick, fast, explosive athlete, and I have been training to get most of it back. I can do pushups sitsup like a mad man still, and as of now I run 5 miles every other day, alternating from moderate speed on one day, to interval training the next. I had a friend time me the other day on my 40's and they are still in the 4 second range, and my 3 mile run is under 19 minutes around the track.

So down to the real question, sorry so lengthy, but what do you think my chances are of attending the georgia state golden gloves tournament next year around april, and trying to make the olympic team for 2008 by starting boxing this summer? I know it sounds farfetched, but I am heavily committed about taking up boxing, but do you guys think it's possible? THANKS FOR THE REPLIES IN ADVANCE!

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Do I have what it takes?

Go for it, sounds like you have wise parents,all you can do is give it a try
    Pain lasts a only a minute, but the memory will last forever....

boxingbournemouth - Cornelius Carrs private boxing tuition and personal fitness training

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Go for it man, train hard take things 1 step at a time, and you never know anything is possible.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

One of my old trainers Lee Canalito, google him, hes was mohammad alis sparring partner for 3 years and made it to be 8th in the world as a professional boxer. He retired undefeated and the only reason why he quit is because he couldnt find another fight. He was managed by syllvester stallone and won all but one of his fights by knockout

hes didnt start boxing till after college

Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Nothing is out of the question if the dedication is there. But the best thing to do is drop all the cross training time waste nonsense and train to box. Being in fighting shape is a different mtter than being in great shape to do anything else. Also, don't be afraid to 'train' yourself; watch tape of great fighters as often as you can because your eyes won't mislead you nearly as badly as many of the people you are apt to encounter 'training' amateur boxers.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Take it a step at a time, at the moment I'm a lot closer to getting selected to fight for my country in the olympics than you are... but its one of the last things on my mind... spar... compete... fight in national tornaments etc before you even think of the olympics of going pro.

A year is plenty of time to get ready to compete

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

holy crap, nice feedback, that's all the confirmation I needed from AdamGB, one year is plenty of time to compete!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

You can only do your best and you will regret it forever if you dont even try , so go DO IT!
    Thats cricket

Thread Information