Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MAYWEATHER-HATTON DOES 850,000 PPV BUYS IN THE U.S.

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default MAYWEATHER-HATTON DOES 850,000 PPV BUYS IN THE U.S.

Mayweather-Hatton pay-per-view a smashing success
    By Dan Rafael
    ESPN.com

(Archive)
    Updated: December 17, 2007, 12:15 PM ET

The numbers are in, and pound-for-pound king Floyd Mayweather lived up to his new self-given nickname of "Money" Mayweather.

Mayweather's 10th-round knockout of England's Ricky Hatton to retain the welterweight championship Dec. 8 at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas generated a whopping 850,000 domestic pay-per-view buys and $47 million in television revenue, HBO PPV's Mark Taffet said Monday.

That makes the fight the biggest pay-per-view fight in history that did not involve Oscar De La Hoya or heavyweights Mike Tyson and Evander Holyfield.

"Mayweather-Hatton was one of boxing's most memorable nights of the past decade and was the perfect ending to a resurgent year for the sport," Taffet said. "Also, in becoming the highest-grossing PPV fight ever in which neither a heavyweight nor a Latino superstar was featured, Mayweather-Hatton blazed a new trail, which opens new doors and bodes very well for the future."

Mayweather-Hatton, which generated 520,000 subscriptions from cable homes and 330,000 from satellite homes, was the second-biggest boxing pay-per-view fight of the year. But Mayweather was also half of the biggest one.

His decision victory against De La Hoya on May 5 generated numerous records, including 2.4 million PPV buys and $134 million in PPV revenue.

With a second blockbuster pay-per-view event this year, Mayweather earned about $50 million in purses.

The fight also capped a record-breaking year for HBO PPV, Taffet said. Its eight boxing events sold 4.8 million units and generated $255 million.

That breaks the 1999 record of 4 million buys and $200 million.

Dan Rafael covers boxing for ESPN.com.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: MAYWEATHER-HATTON DOES 850,000 PPV BUYS IN THE U.S.

Quote Originally Posted by QUISQUEYA

With a second blockbuster pay-per-view event this year, Mayweather earned about $50 million in purses.

So I take it the Money Mayweather persona aint goin anywhere any time soon
    "Run along dear, man talk" James Bond, 007, Goldfinger(1964)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Irish Rover

So I take it the Money Mayweather persona aint goin anywhere any time soon
    You should probably warm up to that. Sorry to say.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

id say Mayweather is major box office now
    dont Fuck with the chuck

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Well done by both, I'm sure they'll both take a nice cut from that revenue.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by gudnite vienna
    not really. a huge contributing factor was Hatton's popularity, 24/7 show, the whole USA vs UK angle, plus the whole 2 undefeatead fighters in their prime angle. I am shocked it did so low, I thought it was going to smash the Delahoya-trinidad record of 1.4 million buys because the build up was so good plus the 24/7 show which averaged of 4.5 million viewers.
    This just proves oscar's superstar status, he got 925,000 buys from just the mayorga fight which provided no 24/7 show or a brilliant opponent. also oscar still made 5 million more than floyd throughout this year. with this floyd should stop saying that everyone gets their bigpaydays through him, it is the other way around. through his opponents, floyd gets his big paydays
    "Very few people really understand what it means to be a fighter. I hate it when I hear someone say, 'That fighter doesn't have guts. I hate that, I don't care if you're a world champion six times over or a four-round fighter, to step inside that ring, you have to have guts" Oscar De La Hoya

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

it now looks like Mayweather is only gona fight the best now so he carrer should end with some massive PPV's
    dont Fuck with the chuck

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by chamiley
    not really. a huge contributing factor was Hatton's popularity, 24/7 show, the whole USA vs UK angle, plus the whole 2 undefeatead fighters in their prime angle. I am shocked it did so low, I thought it was going to smash the Delahoya-trinidad record of 1.4 million buys because the build up was so good plus the 24/7 show which averaged of 4.5 million viewers.
    99% of the people in the US had absolutely no clue who Ricky Hatton was before this fight. In the US, Mayweather's presence was a much bigger factor in the PPV numbers than Hatton's. People in the US knew Mayweather from the Oscar fight and from Dancing with the Stars.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by SweetPea
    99% of the people in the US had absolutely no clue who Ricky Hatton was before this fight. In the US, Mayweather's presence was a much bigger factor in the PPV numbers than Hatton's. People in the US knew Mayweather from the Oscar fight and from Dancing with the Stars.
    Exactly. That's 850,000 Americans ("domestic" pay-per-view buys).

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I was pretty close,think I said 750k,I definitely didn't think it would do 1mill but dam good numbers. Mayweather is earning some SERIOUS $$$,why the heck can't he just fight for his legacy and fight guys like Cotto,Williams etc!! He's got enough $$$ surely?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by El Gamo
    I was pretty close,think I said 750k,I definitely didn't think it would do 1mill but dam good numbers. Mayweather is earning some SERIOUS $$$,why the heck can't he just fight for his legacy and fight guys like Cotto,Williams etc!! He's got enough $$$ surely?
    Did he say that he'll never fight those guys? Because I must have missed it. Last I heard he just fought a week ago.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

How about rest of the world figures? the UK would be nice to know.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

This just proves oscar's superstar status, he got 925,000 buys from just the mayorga fight which provided no 24/7 show or a brilliant opponent. also oscar still made 5 million more than floyd throughout this year. with this floyd should stop saying that everyone gets their bigpaydays through him, it is the other way around. through his opponents, floyd gets his big paydays
    Exactly! Oscar fought someone who is not exactly the same as, say, Hatton and still managed to sell 925,000 buys and without the 24/7 shows. Oscar makes more money than Mayweather but we don't hear Oscar opening his mouth to say all kinds of crap about his money, does he? So Floyd looks a bit silly talking about money with Oscar in the same room.

Get Oscar to fight a journeyman and have Mayweather do the same and let's see who brings out more PPV numbers and ticket sales.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Chino
    Exactly! Oscar fought someone who is not exactly the same as, say, Hatton and still managed to sell 925,000 buys and without the 24/7 shows. Oscar makes more money than Mayweather but we don't hear Oscar opening his mouth to say all kinds of crap about his money, does he? So Floyd looks a bit silly talking about money with Oscar in the same room.

Get Oscar to fight a journeyman and have Mayweather do the same and let's see who brings out more PPV numbers and ticket sales.
    I must be missing the post where someone claimed that Mayweather was as big of a draw as Oscar.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I'm just glad to finally get my money's worth.......
    Hidden Content Click clack ! Give up the purse.........or yetti will find you.

Thread Information