User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Carlos Negron moving to heavyweight

Share/Bookmark
    El Kabong Guest

Default Carlos Negron moving to heavyweight

Puerto Rican boxer 23 year old Carlos Negron is moving from cruiserweight to heavyweight in 2011. His team plans for him to have 5 fights this year, one of them being for a regional title which would earn him a world ranking.

Negron is 6'6 and boasts a record of 10(7 KO)-0-0. He plans to weigh around 215 (or roughly half of what Odlanier Solis weighs outside of training camp) for his first heavyweight fight.

Anyone seen or heard of this dude? What do you think his chances are?
    Last edited by El Kabong; 01-04-2011 at 03:44 PM.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Carlos Negron moving to heavyweight

Quote Originally Posted by El Kabong View Post
    Cuban boxer 23 year old Carlos Negron is moving from cruiserweight to heavyweight in 2011. His team plans for him to have 5 fights this year, one of them being for a regional title which would earn him a world ranking.

Negron is 6'6 and boasts a record of 10(7 KO)-0-0. He plans to weigh around 215 (or roughly half of what Odlanier Solis weighs outside of training camp) for his first heavyweight fight.

Anyone seen or heard of this dude? What do you think his chances are?
    that's wrong, Carlos Negron isn't Cuban he's Puerto Rican, i've seen him fight numerous times, he's extremely long and lanky and seems to pack plenty of power in both hands, i would have liked to see him go a while longer at Cruiser then grow into HW but well lets see how it goes

El Kabong Guest

I'm sorry, thanks for the correction.

Well he's 6'6 isn't that a tad big for cruiser? He's only 23 I say get him in with the heavies and have him fill out a bit and get used to fighting bigger guys. He'll make more money this way too.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

6'6 is HUGE for a cruiserweight

There's hope for me yet!
    Hidden Content
    Original & Best: The Sugar Man

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by El Kabong View Post
    I'm sorry, thanks for the correction.

Well he's 6'6 isn't that a tad big for cruiser? He's only 23 I say get him in with the heavies and have him fill out a bit and get used to fighting bigger guys. He'll make more money this way too.
    yea he's enormous for Cruiser but like i said he's very long and lanky, body-wise he looks a bit like Williams, Funeka, or Caballero

i'd like to see him a bit more at Cruiser mainly cause he's still a bit raw and could use a bit of fine tuning

here's a few vids of his

he's at the beginning of this one, along with some of the other prospects to keep an eye out for from Puerto Rico

El Kabong Guest

Deontay Wilder is 6'7 and still hasn't broken 230 yet and he's older than Negron. IMO Negron needs to build up his physique a bit while he's young so he can get comfortable fighting at heavyweight.

Mentioned
    532 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I've seen Carlos also. It's exciting to see a young, Puerto Rican heavyweight prospect to be sure. But yeah, I agree with El Terrible. I would've wanted him to have a couple more fights at cruiser. But his trainer said in interviews that he's being very careful in bringing up Carlos and having him build some muscle mass, particularly in the legs and back. Let's see what happens. From what I've seen, Carlos is a bit raw, and should probably work on his defense a little bit.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I've had my eye on him for a while but I don't think he has grown into HW yet. He never weighs anything close to the CW limit so 215 could be adding unnatural weight if you ask me.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by rjj tszyu View Post
    I've had my eye on him for a while but I don't think he has grown into HW yet. He never weighs anything close to the CW limit so 215 could be adding unnatural weight if you ask me.
    i agree, i've been talking about Negron for a while now, he has good speed and a good variety of punches, but has a leaky defense and still needs some work with that and foot work, if they take their time with him and let him finish growing, and put on that weight gradually instead of bulking up from on fight to the other i think it could do more bad than good

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I mean I've not read any reports on the guy but the way I see it - If He doesn't have any problems whatsoever making weight, he really should stay at that weight.

Thread Information