Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Punches Feel Weak..

So, being that I just started boxing, and the people at my (and i hesitate to call it this) "gym" don't seem to know enough to answer my questions, I rely on you guys for my answers.

When I'm doing focus mit work, my punches feel strong. I suprised myself the first time I went out to try boxing actually with how much stronger I was than I thought I would be. Now, I've been doing a bit of sparring the past week, and it seems that my punches are a lot weaker when in the ring. Is this normal? Just gonna take some time to being in the ring and dealing with a moving target? Will this improve as everything starts to come more naturally and I get more relaxed in the ring?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Punches Feel Weak..

Any body can look good on the pads, but let's face it, the pads don't hit back. Never ever compare your sparring to the pads. They are two different things. Your sparring partner isn't meeting you on the punches wth his face like your trainer is on the pads.Your punches feel weak because your range is off and your probably tight. It just takes time. It's remarkable how we all underestimate boxing isn't it? It takes so much time and patience.

OldTownBoxing

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Thanks OTB. Owe ya a CC when I can finally give them. Interesting that you mention range. Tonight I sparred with a very experienced boxer, and found it hard to get inside without taking punches on the way in. Everyone else I have sparred was less experienced, and I was easily able to get inside. I definatly felt weaker tonight than other times that I have sparred, and now that you mention it, I can see how it has something to do with range.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I like otb Style so Ill give him one for you
    Pain lasts a only a minute, but the memory will last forever....

boxingbournemouth - Cornelius Carrs private boxing tuition and personal fitness training

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

in addition to what otb said, it has to do with impulse and momentum. collisions on pads are greater than collisions in sparring or on a bag. thus the greater WHACK! and stronger you feel.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

in sparring at first u may struggle to be connecting as well as u wud on the pads as the pads dont move and are not avoiding being hit also dont try to hit hard and be throu urself round the ring with your momentum just give it time it will come

Thread Information